Aggieland Mini Club Club forum of the Aggieland Mini Club. Visit their club site here.

MINIs in the Mountains

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:00 AM
AggieMini11
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINIs in the Mountains

So I am thinking of going to Minis in the Mountains 4 on August 5-9th.

Anyone else interested in doing a big mini roadtrip to get one of the biggest Mini events in the nation?

We can probably roadtrip with some Houston Minis as well.

Think about it, mark your calendars, post here with questions.

www.minisinthemountains.com

Old 02-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Nechesmini
2nd Gear
We have gone to this twice. 1 and 3. (Had to miss 2 due to a wedding!) We are probably going again this year, so hopefully it won't rain this time! The area is gorgeous and the drives are great. Noticed that you have a cooper not an s. Be prepared to be left in the dust by those CRAZY Colorado s's. They drive fast and our little sea level (or nearly sea level) minis tend to have a little trouble breathing up there. You will drive in the lower gears more than you ever have in your life!

Old 02-08-2009, 04:57 PM
AggieMini11
5th Gear
lol. Well i just got a new CAI so hopefully, my cooper will breathe better. Yah, i got passed by a few S's on a houston drive, so I kinda expect it!

Are you around Aggieland? Maybe we can motor up there together/you can go on our drives!

Old 02-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Voilà09
1st Gear
This sounds intriguing... Where are we discussing (Pardon my ignorance). How many days would it take?

Old 02-13-2009, 05:56 AM
AggieMini11
5th Gear
It is august 5-9 in copper mountain Colorado. I called about pricing. I am also thinking of camping at paladuro canyon on the way there or back. I'll mention it at the meeting.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:18 PM
Nechesmini
2nd Gear
More info on MITM from a veteran

Thought you might like some information about MITM (Or Cooppers Return to Copper, again!)

Last Year's Costs (This is for information only. I don't or pretend to know what they will be this year. Just thought you would like an idea of how to begin budgeting for this trip!)

Driver registration was $50 includes t-shirt
Passenger registration $25 t-shirt extra

Registrations are necessary if you want to go to the dinners.

Last year, the Friday dinner was at WinterPark resort. This was the vendor's dinner. You had a chance to win items donated by the vendors. Items were from stickers to substantial gift certificates. Cost was $22 per person. We had hamburgers and hot dogs. THey were good hamburgers, and large hot dogs, but it seemed a little high. Granted, we are paying ski resort prices! There was also a "split the pot raffle". Not my cup of tea.

The Saturday dinner was at Copper Mountain. It was $32 a head. There were drawings for things from the Mini dealership and other clubs. There was another "split the pot" raffle. (The other 1/2 of these raffles goes to 5280 for expenses.)

If you pull up mapquest, you will see the roads you will drive. There have been group drives to Aspen, Glenwood Springs, Winterpark, Rocky Mountain National Park, and lets not forget Mt. Evans! Jonathon says there will be new drives this year.

Hadn't really planned to go again, but my dad just bought a mini and he wants to go, sooo.... I guess we are going again.

You get to decide which drives you go on. There is a board at the garage lot that people will list drives.

There are also the vendors (hopefully). Plenty of opportunities to spend a little on the car.

There were budget hotel rooms available through MITM the last 2 years. These were basically the employee dorm rooms. Pretty bare bones, but CHEAP! You might want to ask Jonathon Souza if they are going to be offered again.

By the way, there all ALL AGES that attend. From the 20 somethings to the 70's. There is no one type that attends. Tattooed bikers, grand parents, college students, even us dull engineer types!

If you have any questions, please ask.

Last edited by Nechesmini; 02-13-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Wante to add a line.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:57 AM
AggieMini11
5th Gear
Awesome! Thanks for the write up. I called the resort and got some room prices. The "bronze" quality 2bedroom condo was 179 or something close to that. But that comes with a couch or two so split that between 3 couples and you got a cheap condo.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:28 PM
MiniPlay
3rd Gear
Yes I'm going!! I have to call and get my room lined up here in the next day or two. I forgot what I had last year but I'm going to try and get the same thing I had last year.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:58 AM
MiniPlay
3rd Gear
I'm returning to MITM 4 this year. I just got off the phone setting up a reservation for Passage Point there at the Copper Mt. Resort. I'm staying *THURSDAY* 8/6 through Sunday 8/9. I will probably get up there on Wednesday 8/5. There isn't much going on with the schedule for Wednesday.
Typically we stay over at Winter Park the day before and drive over that afternoon when we're done hanging out at Winter Park on Thursday.

Last edited by MiniPlay; 04-29-2009 at 06:29 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:53 PM
AggieMini11
5th Gear
Good to know. I think heading up there wednesday is the best option for me as well. That or heading up there tuesday night and finishing the drive wednesday morning. I need to talk to my prof still. Its been a long process for me!

Old 05-01-2009, 06:22 AM
MiniPlay
3rd Gear
Registration for MINIs in the Mountains is now open:

Click here for the online registration page.

I just submitted mine!

Old 05-03-2009, 10:44 AM
MiniPlay
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
What--no MINI???
Yes, I will have my MINI, can't image having much fun in a rented Toyota Echo.

If you have not been to MITM, this is one event I think is worth considering. It's family friendly, great escape from the Texas heat, well organized, and terrific roads for motoring!

My daughter and I were featured in MC2 magazine about this event earlier this year. Click here to read the article.

At the May's HMMS meeting inquiries about camping instead of lodging were asked. The following sites would be good places to start to find out more information:

Colorado's vistors site
National Park Service site

Here are my plans on getting to MITM:
  1. I'm driving my MINI (Jessica) up to Denver July 25th or July 26th. I will fly back to Houston either July 26th or July 27th.
  2. I have vacation plans in Washington, DC - July 31st through August 3rd or 4th.
  3. Will fly to Denver on July 3rd or 4th direct from Washington, DC or Houston. Not sure which at this point.
  4. Most likely will stay at Winter Park on Tuesday night, August 4th.
  5. Wednesday, August 5th - Hanging out at Winter Park doing the summer activities they have there 10 AM to 5 PM. Lunch either at Winter Park Resort or drive into Winter Park to grab a bite.
Click here to learn more about the Winter Park activities. Typical stay at the Zephyr Mountain Lodge at Winter Park for the one night. Makes it easy to be right there onsite in the morning.

My reservation at Copper Mountain Resort is from Thursday August 6th with check out on Sunday, August 9th. I may call back and add August 5th. If not, will find a motel / hotel somewhere between Winter Park and the Copper Mountain resort. (This isn't a big concern of mine for Wednesday). Might even stay with a friend in Morrison, Co on Wednesday night.

Once at MITM:

I would like to organize folks from Texas and others a spaghetti dinner on Thursday night in my condo. Will have a full size kitchen and Jonathan of MINI 5280 has offered to loan big pots if we need 'em and anything else to help fix dinner. MINI 5280 is welcome to join in on the dinner. Plans for dinner will be worked out in greater detail later.

Breakfast, I can be open for breakfast on Friday and Saturday mornings if there is an interest in cooking breakfast. Again, just need to work out the details.

I have been asked to lead a drive. I plan to do that and will work out the details with MINI 5280 to help with that. Again stayed tune for more information.

Leaving MITM:

We will depart right after breakfast on Sunday morning. I would like to be back in Houston LATE Tuesday night or sometime on Wednesday. With that said, anything between Colorado and Houston is fair game for a diversion along the trip back home, a convoy back to Houston would be ideal.