North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   8th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (April 28th - May 2nd 2010) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/8th-annual-minis-on-the-dragon-april-28th-may-2nd-2010-330/)
-   -   Comments and Suggestions (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/8th-annual-minis-on-the-dragon-april-28th-may-2nd-2010/188388-comments-and-suggestions.html)

snooter 05-02-2010 04:20 PM

Comments and Suggestions

While it's still fresh in everyones mind, I figure this would be a great time for folks to post any comments or suggestions. Let me know what you liked, didn't like, etc. We had some new things like Karoake, live music at the grill, let me know what you all thought. Please keep it constructive comments. Of course feel free to pm or emial your comments if you feel more comfortable that way.

I'll keep a running tab on all the suggestions in this post (makes for easy reviewing for me next year :grin: )

Bring back Karoake (maybe with a different DJ)
Use codes for the pace of each drive
Put Fontana logo on front of their shirts.
Maybe change day for second newbie run
Look into moving registration into Card Room in Rec Hall
Have a registration count for MINIs
Trivia Game
Softball Game or Kickball or Volleyball
Sunday Farewell Breakfast
Drive-In Movie
Chili Cook-Off
Detailing Workshop
Someone to wash Jay's MINI
Use buttery soft Gildan shirts
Have Drive leaders make more announcements (begginning and during drive)
Have Drive leaders regroup and hand out directions
More Vendors
Create a thread were folks can post pictures of themselves and their MINIs
Have Vets have ride-a-longs for the newbies
Beerolympics
MINI marathon on some sorts with silly games and prizes
Autocross
Off Topic Band
Sunrise Kayak
Have folks sign card after getting shirts

fastautoxmini 05-02-2010 05:42 PM

I think this year was my favorite year out of the 4 years I attended. I liked the karoake after the brewswap. I had so much fun there. I like the fact that there are various different drives to choose from. Thanks to the volunteers who make the drives happen. I do like that there are new things added to the schedule every year. shake it up. :)

I plan on being back next year to see all of my friends. Thanks for a great year!

whovous 05-02-2010 05:50 PM

I'd like the Dragon moved closer to DC. This makes two years in a row I have missed!

Squirlz 05-02-2010 05:55 PM

Joey the food manager had a couple ideas for things to do by the dam in the future. Did he talk to you?

I thought things went great but Molly and I don't "do" too much; we just enjoy the company of all our friends.

ke4sfq 05-02-2010 06:41 PM

This was my first MOTD and I was amazed at how great it was. I came alone but never felt left out and met a lot of great people. This will definitely be a yearly event for me now.

And the event was coordinated great. The badges, shirts, etc. were all very professionally done. I have put on a few events at work and I know you guys had to put in a lot of work to make this go as smoothly as it did. Great work guys. I wouldn't change a thing! :thumbsup:

Except I will stay at Fontana next year instead of having to drive back and forth to Robbinsville every day!

Kevin
Florence, AL

jcauseyfd 05-02-2010 07:10 PM

Can you reschedule my wife's birthday so I could make it some year?

colejd 05-02-2010 07:17 PM

Suggestions

I enjoyed this MOTD (my second). A suggestion about the drives: please post some driving pace code letter like, an "L" for "Leisurely", an "S" for "Spirited", or an "SS" for Super Spirited" by the drives description and make sure the participants know the difference. A second option is to have 2 groups in a single run, one faster one slower, meeting up later. I was the "Sweeper" on a drive billed as "leisurely" in its description and the other drivers left us (myself and a new (to the Dragon area roads) driver) behind 3 times without a radio call back. I have spoken with the leader and he will make changes to his run next year. This pace rating system and split groups have worked for many Tarheel Mini runs in the past.

snooter 05-03-2010 11:11 AM

forgot to ask in the first post...did anyone use the coupon page in the registration bag?

Lilredscoot 05-03-2010 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by snooter (Post 3042365)
forgot to ask in the first post...did anyone use the coupon page in the registration bag?

I used it at the grill. It was nice out on the deck.:nod:

troopertripp 05-03-2010 11:43 AM

Thanks Snooter and all who had a hand in this event.

Thank You to all who had a hand in this event! This was our first MINI event and we had a great time. Like the previous post I would have enjoyed the Dragon Parade more if it had been a parade instead of a race.

We met some great people who will be friends for life.

Snooter, no we did not use the coupons, mostly because we brought so much stuff, as we were unaware of the amenities and availability of things.

Next year we will arrive prepared and will have signed up for all events offered, our mistake was not signing up, and watching as a spectator was a hoot, and would have been more fun as a participant.

Thanks again,

Tripp

ke4sfq 05-03-2010 12:05 PM

I only did the last day. I went to several of the places just forgot the coupons were in the bag until I saw someone else using them!

Cooper Guy 05-03-2010 12:21 PM

The Best Yet!

Thanks to Barry and all of his helpers in making this a success once again! I thought everything went off without a hitch. Fontana Village continues to make improvements on the facility, such as the Grill that overlooked the vendor area. Very pleasant place to sit with friends for food and drink.

This was our 4th MOTD and thought it was the best so far. Even though the detour of US129 made it a pain getting to Fontana and getting out again, I actually kind of liked the low traffic on the Dragon. Fewer cycles and no trucks! We have our reservations for next next year and look forward to seeing old and new friends once again.

LittleWing 05-03-2010 02:18 PM

My husband and I had a blast!
This was our first MOTD, having owned my first MINI only since 8/09.
We met wonderful people we now consider friends, enjoyed the drives, and were very comfortable at Fontana Lodge.

I went overboard scheduling our participation in events.
Next year we will probably do less and spend more time relaxing at the Lodge with the other MINIacs, visiting the vendors, and admiring the other MINIs.

I learned that Little Wing is a performance machine and my driving skills were put to the test.
Running the Dragon several times really my boosted my confidence in both myself and my car.
I had anticipated nothing more than a fun, challenging drive.
Unexpectedly, MOTD was much more that having fun with my car.
I came home a better driver, with more respect for my car and a greater understanding of how she works.

I would love a workshop on Detailing. :razz:
That is probably an idiotic notion, but I am having a hard time getting serious about it.
The Detailing 101 thread is overwhelming.
The assorted products and their uses intimidate me. :impatient:

We were impressed with MOTD's food drive.
Giving back to the citizens of Graham County, beyond supporting their local businesses, is important.
We were treated with friendliness and gracious hospitality by the local residents.
I hope that we are desirable guests when we invade their community.

From the hard work of the organizers, the volunteers, the vendors, the leaders of the excursions and drives, and all of the events, it was a great experience.
Thanks to everyone who made MOTD 2010 happen. :thumbsup:
I can't wait for next year!

ETA: The coupons -
I didn't even find them until we got back home.
I would have used them if I had bothered to look. :o

JustJAY 05-03-2010 04:10 PM

I would like to see a company/person that will detail my MINI, or at least wash it for me.

I like the idea of the pace codes

snooter 05-03-2010 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Squirlz (Post 3041897)
Joey the food manager had a couple ideas for things to do by the dam in the future. Did he talk to you?

we've got several ideas we're toying around with for next year :grin:

Mini squared 05-03-2010 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by snooter (Post 3041843)

Detailing Workshop

+1 :thumbsup:

welshmenwillnotyield 05-03-2010 05:50 PM

Thanks, Barry...ya done GOOD!

A special THANKS goes from us at the MKO Cigar Salon to those who donated towards the Graham County Food Bank. We'll be back again next year for our seventh Cigar Salon and hope to see everyone, plus those who have never attended. After all, we are free, and I even supply cigars to those who are smokeless! Just remember, though...we only EXHALE! :lol:

As for the coupons, no, I never used mine...had them on me, too, but just never thought of taking them from my pocket until after I had paid my bills and left the establishments.

I'd like to see a return to those buttery soft Gildan shirts. The sleeves on those long-sleeved Anvils make ya feel like an orangutan [yes, they are THAT long], and the shirt quality just isn't the same as that of the Gildans.

LittleWing 05-03-2010 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by JustJAY (Post 3042604)
I would like to see a company/person that will detail my MINI, or at least wash it for me.

I like the idea of the pace codes

:thumbsup: It took until Saturday for me to realize that all those energetic, young MINIacs detailing away at the wash stations might be willing to offer detailing for hire.
I was impressed with how industrious they were and their shiny, happy MINIs looked beautiful.
I dragged a hose out a couple of times, sprayed Little Wing down, and had the gall to feel proud about it.

:thumbsup: Pace codes!

As the Darkness on the Dragon group left Fontana, we stopped to make a last minute adjustment to our boot cover, taking - oh -maybe 1 minute?
We never caught up although we chased for about 30 minutes.
Feeling silly flying flags and blinking like a neurotic Christmas tree, we turned around and returned to Fontana and a couple of stiff drinks.
Then we realized that disqualified us for the Midnight run...
Next year we won't leave the group for any reason! :lol:

oxtox 05-03-2010 07:34 PM

if you could duplicate this years weather i'd appreciate it:wink:

this was a "more epic" dragon for me...for sure. it ended far too soon though:nod:.

i really enjoyed how laid back the helix/frisbee golf gig was! met some good peeps and have some great ideas for next year. i/eric may actually promote it next year!

lastly, thanks again barry for all that you do to pull this thing together!!!!!!

we'll see y'all next year!

Ryephile 05-03-2010 08:08 PM

Great job Barry! I'd say this was one of the best MOTD's ever. :thumbsup: Perfect weather certainly helped too. :grin:

The only thing I wanted to do but couldn't find was Thumper's tech-talk thingies. Where were they?

Oh, that gives me an idea; put the meeting location along with the time-frame on next years' schedule! I know that's a lot to cram in there but it surely would've helped.

Cheers,
Ryan

solberg 05-03-2010 08:08 PM

Me and my son had a great time this year! Only minor glitch was at the start of the Ice Cream Run. We weren't really sure if it had "officially" started or not when some people began pulling out. We waited for a little bit then we realized we missed the boat. No biggie as we caught up soon but some kind of notification may have helped to lessen the confusion (unless I just missed it!). I used a coupon at The Filling Station at lunch though the owner said he didn't know anything about it?! (Super nice guy there by the way). Look forward to next year!

snooter 05-04-2010 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ryephile (Post 3042802)
The only thing I wanted to do but couldn't find was Thumper's tech-talk thingies. Where were they?

Oh, that gives me an idea; put the meeting location along with the time-frame on next years' schedule! I know that's a lot to cram in there but it surely would've helped.

Cheers,
Ryan

That was in the AutoXCooper booth. The information was in the event guide. Sadly there is not enough room in on the back of the badge for much more information

thatatvguy 05-04-2010 11:16 AM

I'll add to the great job pats-on-the-back for Barry! Great job!!

Now.... with that said...

Locations, even if they change, it would be great idea to add to the welcome packet, or, on the whiteboard. If they do get moved. Have a person there telling folks where it has moved to.

There was lots of chatter on the radio (7 sub 21, main channel) about the first group leaving for the Ice Cream Run.... (directly after the panoramic photo)
and there was also a 2nd group. It left about 20mins, or so, after the 1st.
(I led it)

While there is a lot of chatter, etc. on the radio that you would be subject to, it is the primary form of comm while at Fontana Village.

Speed codes would be a good idea. That also needs to be discussed before the group departs. In addition to that, the leader of the drive needs to be responsible for the people following him/her. That responsibility also needs to be passed along to everyone else in the line. If you see someone drop off behind you, call (on the radio that is highly needed) and see 'sup.

A detailing clinic is another good idea. Water and power and room (along with shade) is needed for that though. Anyone know of a place with all the needed elements?

One last thing...... many, many thanks to all of the MINIs that moved/pulled over so that the faster ones could get by. For those that didn't, well, let's just say, look in yo mirrors mo often. :thumbsup: If someone is in your mirror that wasn't there a min ago, you should know wassup. :lol:

Originally Posted by solberg (Post 3042803)
Me and my son had a great time this year! Only minor glitch was at the start of the Ice Cream Run. We weren't really sure if it had "officially" started or not when some people began pulling out. We waited for a little bit then we realized we missed the boat. No biggie as we caught up soon but some kind of notification may have helped to lessen the confusion (unless I just missed it!). I used a coupon at The Filling Station at lunch though the owner said he didn't know anything about it?! (Super nice guy there by the way). Look forward to next year!

smurfette26 05-04-2010 02:38 PM

GREAT JOB EVERYONE...organizers, sponsors, vendors and attendees. Everyone made our first time at MOTD fantastic. The only things we would have changed would be that we would have stayed at Fontana and we would have bought/ brought a radio. And you really did try to warn newbies to do those things, that was our own fault. Of course there were conflicting events that we would have liked to do but I really do feel like major events were well spaced out.

I like the idea of speed coded drives, this way everyone is able to drive at a pace they are comfortable with.

I would love a detailing talk and would really try to fit that in if one were offered next time.

I also was looking forward to the drive in movie so if that were offered again, I would try to fit that in too.

I did use a couple of coupons. Unfortunately I could have used several more if I had been able to register sooner. I would have been able to register sooner if I had stayed at Fontana (or there would have been longer registration offered on Wednesday and Thursday but I understand that takes more volunteers, etc so I really consider that my problem and not an organizational problem...just explaining why I only used a couple of coupons...ok I can stop talking now). :roll:

MUFFINBEACH 05-05-2010 05:57 PM

Yes, I used the coupon page at Lynn's place. Great idea!!!:thumbsup: