North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   8th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (April 28th - May 2nd 2010) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/8th-annual-minis-on-the-dragon-april-28th-may-2nd-2010-330/)
-   -   Alternative Routes to Fontana Village (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/8th-annual-minis-on-the-dragon-april-28th-may-2nd-2010/185711-alternative-routes-to-fontana-village.html)

snooter 03-22-2010 12:08 PM

Alternative Routes to Fontana Village

For those of you not aware, there is rockslide that currently has "The Dragon" section of US129 temporarily closed down. We are hoping that everything will be cleared by our event. But just in case it is not, several folks have asked about how is the best way to get to Fontana Village without using the Dragon. I've created a new page on the Dragon Website HERE with some helpfull hints. And of course feel free to pm or email with any specific questions.

Tom2112 03-27-2010 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a map that a friend of mine on another forum posted, showing all the various road closings in the area. It's from Tail of the Dragon .com, and he's local, so I trust his intel. Hopefully you'll find it useful.

The simplest way in from I-75 is definitely via the Cherohala Skyway.

welshmenwillnotyield 03-28-2010 07:56 AM

Nice map, but for the first timer, it needs to extend westward, over to I-75, so they can see where to get onto the road to Tellico Plains. Just showing from US 411 on eastward won't do too much to deconfuse some people.

Just my 2c.

Tom2112 03-28-2010 11:27 AM

You're dead on, Welshman. I've been there enough times that I didn't even think of that. So I'd say just add those closings to snooter's map and it'll be all good. :thumbsup:

snooter 03-28-2010 11:42 AM

Tom, I added you map to my webpage with a note the supposedly the US-64 will be re-opended on April 16th

getsalotkc 03-30-2010 09:19 AM

Nantahala Village

We had to cancel our trip due to unexpected basement repair's and hubby's work travel. I have canceled our reservation's at Nantahala Village, 1-800-438-1507 so they now have more opening's for room's. If you are still needing a room give them a call.

Mol 04-15-2010 09:44 AM

For what it is worth...

Folks coming from the North.

I see that GPSs and Google Maps is suggesting the route 441 thru Gatlinburg as an alternate route since 129 is closed. From personal experience I know the traffic on this road (Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg) is horrible. GPS units and Google maps don't know about tourist traffic. After a long drive no one wants to sit in traffic so I asked my East TN Rider peeps:

"Which route would be fastest coming from north of Knoxville to the Dragon: The Cherohala Skyway or 441 ?"

100% of those replying recommended against 441!

Here's a couple responses I got:

"I really don't know which would be fastest but 441 has always been a pain with all the traffic to me. I would use the Cherohala anytime I had the chance."

"Skyway for sure. Splatlinburg sucks."

"My first trip to the Dragon from here in Ohio, I came in through Gatlinburg and 441. I couldn't believe how much traffic I ran into through Gatlinburg... crazy...and I happen to be in the wrong lane for 441 and nobody would let me over..finally made it on to 441 heading to Cherokee and it was bumper to bumper thru that very twisty and scenic section of 441. I've also come down from the Sweetwater area and across the Skyway... much better way to go IMHO."

ALSO:
I noticed on the official MOTD map for coming across the Cherohala Skyway:
Exit 60 on 75 is Hwy 68 to Telico Plains...165 to 143...

Then is has you making a left onto 129 and heading up to the Dragon and then taking 23 (Hellbender) to Fontana.

A much better way is to
Turn RIGHT on 129 towards Robbinsville (fill up on gas, it's gonna be the cheapest you'll find while you are in Dragon territory)
Turn left at second light onto 143 (stop at Ingles for groceries and beer if needed).
Turn left at the stop sign onto 28.
Turn left at the second stop sign. Into fontana you go.

Squirlz and I will be taking the route I describe above (we are bring both MINIs).

We can all cross our fingers they get the one lane of 129 open by the time we all head home so we don't have to detour out of Fontana as well.

I hope this is of help to you.

Agent.COOPER 04-18-2010 08:48 AM

Thanks a bunch for all the information, this is really gonna come in handy! We were gonna go through Gatlinburg, but if it's that bad... I'll reconsider!

spurvis 04-23-2010 05:29 AM

Coming from Cleveland

Looks like the Skyway for me! Thanks to all for your input. I can't wait to drive the Skyway for my first time. Didn't get to drive it last year! C-ya there! :thumbsup:

The Red Wolf 04-23-2010 09:58 AM

Interesting, Google Maps has apparently caught up with the rockslide, will not map thru the Dragon now.

Question for locals- I know Gatlinburg mess from a poor decision over Christmas, but I'm coming in late at night. Is it a viable option after 9pm or so? I love the Cherohala, but appears Gatlinburg COULD be 20-30 minutes quicker.

Uncl3 04-23-2010 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Red Wolf (Post 3035790)
Interesting, Google Maps has apparently caught up with the rockslide, will not map thru the Dragon now.

Question for locals- I know Gatlinburg mess from a poor decision over Christmas, but I'm coming in late at night. Is it a viable option after 9pm or so? I love the Cherohala, but appears Gatlinburg COULD be 20-30 minutes quicker.

Although it may say 20-30 mins because of the distance but you will have to factor in traffic and five thousand traffic lights.

*Dustin* 04-24-2010 08:50 AM

here's the route I'm taking http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...9,2.694397&z=9

magic mini 04-25-2010 06:39 AM

I took the Skyway out last year . It is a fun drive. To bad I can't make it this year. It will be the first year since I got my Mini in 2004 that I will miss the event. Everyone have fun with out me. :thumbsup:

quemas 04-27-2010 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Red Wolf (Post 3035790)

Unless you know of the quicker ways "around" the main drag, coming all the way down the parkway through Severiville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlingurg is a long road full of traffic lights. There are quicker ways around as a local, and if you know those roads it's not too bad, but not coming through at night from out of town. Almost always when you leave I-40 to Severiville, there are police within 5 miles of the exit giving out good-bye gifts. Good luck on your choice. Either way is a long way around for all of us with the dragon closed.