What was your favorite / least favorite part of MOTD this year?

Old 05-06-2008, 04:03 PM
JGS
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone drive the Cherola Skyway?

Old 05-06-2008, 04:03 PM
womble
2nd Gear
This was our first Dragon and we had a good time.
Favorite part: the experience itself.
Least favorite part: Our son puked in the car on the way home Sunday. Fortunately most of it went in Mom's hat. So much for that new car smell.

Kudos to Pitt Stop for the Pinewood Derby. Perfect rainy day event. And yes, Bubbas Rolls were part of the puke package. (You had to be at the derby to get that one.)

Double Kudos to Pamelalala for the kids event. What a hoot.

As for alternate sites, Mini Meet East 2007 was held in Alcoa, TN and went really well. If you haven't attended a Mini Meet, they are equally entertaining. Less focus on driving, more on socializing and fun & games. Three hotels in a group near the highway were the center of activities. Took about 30 minutes to get to 129.

We stayed in Dillsboro Thursday night and it is another potentially good site with more amenities. Did the train Friday morning, shopped, visitied Nantahala Outdoor Center.

Great job to the organizers!!!!!

Old 05-06-2008, 04:04 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Sunshine MINIs had a group drive and lunch on Thursday and it rocked. But then again all of our drives rock (OK, maybe I'm a little impartial )

Old 05-06-2008, 04:08 PM
queenB
Coordinator :: Smoky Mountain MINIs
Originally Posted by Mini2Go
The idea of MOTD supporting charities is certainly not new but I LOVE the idea that we pick a local charity to support!
A big Amen. Although MINI visitors bring much needed funds into the area commercially I like to see leftover funds where ever possible go to benefit the area being visited. I would also suggest Friends of the Smokies, both TN and NC sides. This is one of the reasons I quit volunteering for this event, and I am one of those people with volunteer-itis. I hope to see this happen. Personally, I would also like to see funds from registration shared to cover the costs of the childrens activities rather than charging a fee.

I would recommend a cessation or dramatic reduction of the large group meals. It is always the biggest source of complaints and headaches. A list of food sources beyond Fontana can be provided and no one with any sense should starve.

2p from an unregistered MINI owner.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:40 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JGS
Yes!

A bunch of us PittStop MINIers did the loop from Fontana over the skyway, down the Dragon and back to Fontana. The weather was awsome and the company even better!

Old 05-06-2008, 05:28 PM
mellotron
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wbarnhill
On stepping up:
I'm also considering leading a Virgin Dragon Run for next year (scheduled so everyone knows when the newbies are on 129)
My barely-broken-in MINI and I were the virgins this year, and I soooo wished there had been something like this. Actually I would like to be in it and/or volunteer if you do it next year. As long as it doesn't overlap with the Autocross event!

Old 05-06-2008, 05:53 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
I've been reading this thread and wanted to inject a few comments.

To those that want to move this event to a larger city in the area. One of the most appealing bits of MOTD is thats it's like Summer Camp for MINI Kids. We are all out in the woods together having fun visiting each others cabins and just hanging out. This would be lost at a sterile hotel block in a "city". I know I went from cabin to cabin most evenings for different parties that were there. One night I went from a BBQ with about 30 or so folks to a smaller birthday celebration to a camp fire where some played a guitar and sang. All with backdrop of the Smokie Mtns looming large. There is a lot to be said to the getting away from the cell phones and internet access. I think it's one of the things that makes MOTD special.

I've been to AMVIV twice and I'll likely not go back unless it's as in some capacity where I need to be there. I like the people but the atmosphere is not to my liking. Been to MOTD twice and I am already planning for next year.

All in all MOTD is what you make it. If you want to look for fault, it's there. For the most part it's a small group of folks that volunteer their time and effort so the masses have the ability to enjoy a good time. Say what you want but being slightly smaller this year then last was a good thing. I'm not sure how you can get more vendors there. Alta and Custom MINI Shop didn't trek out from the west coast. For them it's a huge commitment of time and resources.

Sure, a few things are not perfect, but thats the way life is, roll with what you have and try to make it better next time. This MOTD was better than the last for me and I expect the next to be even more fun, if thats possible.

I'd like to thank everyone that was there for a great time. I hope to see you all there again next year.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:14 PM
arch-r
1st Gear
Originally Posted by The Red Wolf
First, to answer the posted question:
Best part: the driving- I literally found myself breaking into a huge grin as I drove the Dragon (and other roads). I have been fortunate to have driven some GREAT roads recently (such as a trip back and forth through the Alps last fall), but the fun I had (having my MINI makes all the difference of course) is as good a time driving as I can ever remember.
Worst part: is "it had to end" allowed as an answer?

This was my first MOTD also, I also had trouble finding some things. I thought the maps in the Welcome Pkg and that I found on the web were pretty good, but I thought that Fontana's signage is mediocre- or maybe be more precise on some of the directions ("base of the dam", "Old Registration Bldg parking lot" are a little informal and for a first timer not immediately obvious). Having a few signs up to point to specific events would help- but that obviously takes more work and more volunteers.

I was ok with the tent, having most of the vendors closely together works well for events like this IMO. Especially given that this is a grassroots event put on by volunteers, I think it was outstanding! We can't post enough "thank you" notes for all the people that made this possible. Great job!
I have to say, I agree with most of the things above. The tent can become a VITAL part of the Luncheons, Events and Vendors. A little more planning to use it further WILL make it an indispensable part of making the functions flow. A bit more info on starting points for the events would be fabulous.

I have an idea! ( a rare event indeed) We almost all have radios. Why not an announcement on a posted channel, say, 7:30 am to bring us up to date on any changes or specifics for the days events. Those who will be listening will spread the FACTS faster than the fire we witnessed in Fontana Village.

This was my second MOTD. My wife was very unsure of the whole thing last year. She was ecstatic this year. We did much more driving on many roads over the three 1/2 days of our stay. She is becoming a believer. Even hinting at taking BOTH our MINIs next year.

I liked the I.D. tag with the symbols for the Pre-Paid Events. It really sped the process of opening the doors and getting people in to the fun A.S.A.P.
That needs to be kept. Just try to connect the lanyard and the tag. I found several tags on the ground. Using the radios, I could locate the owners. If not, I knew what event they were supposed to attend next, and could leave the tag for them to collect there.

All that said... I will probably not be so quick to sign up for ALL the dinners.
Not that the food wasn't great. I am probably going to look for a less structured schedule next year to get even more road time in.

Meanwhile, I can't say enough for the Volunteers/Planners for the fabulous job done in all areas from registration to each event. My wife and I worked the door at the Brew Swap this year. We will be watching for events we would like to help in the future.

Done! (for now) I can't wait to see how this event gets better for next year.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:31 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mark
Jeff - what's your complaint with the tree maintenance? It was my cabin that the tree nearly fell on (10ft from the top of the tree to the bed where I slept). I felt that it was only fair that if it was going to hit anyone's cabin it should hit mine

Seriously though, random unplanned events happen all the time. I roll with them. In fact, I stayed in the cabin that night, without power and slept just fine.

Mark
Better YOUR cabin than mine, but we ended up staying at the Lodge. All our stuff had been transferred there and they even gave us a better rate! I must thank you, however, for going back out to douse the flames again later that night. You should get a "forest ranger" award!

Jeff

Old 05-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Pamalalala
4th Gear
Originally Posted by snooter
One more thing that Mark F. and another club member brought up that I can't believe we have not done before. Graham County is a very poor area. Partly due to 80% of land being national forest and thus a very small tax base. So how bout next year we pick a local charity (a local food shelter, etc.) and make that our cause.
WOW! I LOVE that idea! Can you imagine what we could do even if everyone just brought a single can of food or other non-perishable item with them! Just one would result in hundreds of cans/boxes etc.. What amazing things we could easily do if everyone does just a little bit! Ooooo this is so exciting! I hope we go with this!

Old 05-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Pamalalala
4th Gear
Originally Posted by welshmenwillnotyield
Waaaaaaaaaa...you never mentioned the "free" Cigar Sampling Salon and/or its volunteers! Jeff
Ahhh, I am so sorry Jeff! I was posting on my break at work and I was so upset. I knew I missed some things trying to go from memory. I am sorry it was your Cigar Sampling Salon - I know it's a favorite event.

Hugs,
Pamala

Last edited by Pamalalala; 05-06-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Pamalalala
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BSUCardinalfan
Oh, I forgot one of my favorite things: everything tastes better when dipped in flowing chocolate!
Yay! I am so happy you liked it - not everyone was sure we should go with the chocolate fountain at Monte Carlo Night - but everyone who doubted it told me - "wow, what a great idea!" afterwards! Every last piece of fruit, marshmallows, Bubba's Nutrolls, Angel food cake and chocolate was GONE at the end of the evening! Woooohooooo! MINI owners love themselves some chocolate!

Old 05-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Warped1966
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pamalalala
WOW! I LOVE that idea! Can you imagine what we could do even if everyone just brought a single can of food or other non-perishable item with them! Just one would result in hundreds of cans/boxes etc.. What amazing things we could easily do if everyone does just a little bit! Ooooo this is so exciting! I hope we go with this!
Pamalalala that is THE best idea in this thread yet! I bet that they have a foodbank or something like it around there! Incredible idea! I would like to make just one suggestion though... If we do this next year, and I think that we all should, we should publicly challenge all groups that do similar events based around the Dragon to do the same!

** Edit **

I found a link to the Food Bank for Graham County and the surrounding areas!

http://www.mannafoodbank.org/onetoone/onetoone.html

Last edited by Warped1966; 05-06-2008 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Because I can!
Old 05-06-2008, 06:45 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
As far as Vendors go...It was great to have the protection from the rain and wind down in the big tent AND the night security guard ("Terry", who was packing a 9mm...I got to know him pretty well and I think it paid off because our stuff was completely safe all 3 nights) that was paid for by NAM to help protect our stuff at night was a MAJOR help. It was so nice to just fold a few things in and zip up the sidewalls of our booth and walk away instead of taking everything down every night and put it all back up the next morning. This year was by far the most relaxing in that respect. Kudos to Mark for making that happen. As our display grows every year, this kind of stuff makes a big difference.

I love to roam around when I get a minute and talk with the other vendors that I only see once a year. I did not have much time this year.... It would be nice to have all the vendors and installers in one area, maybe up at the top or down where the car show was? Would it make sense to put a small to medium sized tent up at the top for vendors and have installers either inside as well (if they want) or have their own space. The tent that Lucky Dog setup last year was pretty nice...maybe 1-3 of those or a large one??

There seems to be the most action up at the top as opposed to down by the car show area, but I am sure if everyone was down there, that's where the action would be....

And who wants MORE vendors? Come on, all you need is Out Motoring, isn't it?

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Old 05-06-2008, 06:51 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JGS
I took my wife on it Wed. It was sooo peaceful...no onefollowing us at all and very few people coming the other way.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:53 PM
The Red Wolf
3rd Gear
I've posted once already, but I have to chime in again. After spending the past 30 minutes just skimming through the dozens of posts, Mark et al, I know you will, but please let's keep the gripes in perspective, most of them are pretty minor. I like many others prefer to focus on the enjoyment virtually everyone had and all the good ideas I'm reading about- from the charity to the drive in (will the move be "The Italian Job"?!), to more early morning drives, etc.

I see MOTD as just a group of people who love to drive, are passionate about the cars that they drive, and gather a few days once a year to get away from it all to drive our MINI's the way they were designed to be driven. It's that simple to me. I too am counting down to MOTD7!

Another idea I heard, was a convertible top down only drive, since quite a few of us showed up. Weather dependent of course, but maybe we can find a route somewhat out of the woods that would especially suit convertibles.

And count me in the group that left the laptop at home and smiled everytime the blackberry showed no connection. It's called a VACATION.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:00 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Ahhh, I am so sorry Jeff! I was posting on my break at work and I was so upset. I knew I missed some things trying to go from memory. I am sorry it was your Cigar Sampling Salon - I know it's a favorite event. I am also sorry to hear the impact the days events with the fire and power outage. I am sure it will be back full force next year!

Hugs,
Pamala

Ahhh...just a minor inconvenience! It won't keep me from going back next year. These things happen...it's just a fact of life when you travel. Just look at all the stories I get to tell now about it! There is ALWAYS a silver lining, ya know?

Old 05-06-2008, 07:24 PM
T&CMCSa
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINInurse
I...I mean ME, MYSELF, and I are the only responsible person(s) for putting that event together.
I am sure that you spent a lot of time putting that event together but there were some other club members who did volunteer and help with the setup and decorations.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Pamalalala
4th Gear
I would like to extend a Great Big HUGE Hug to all of you who have taken the time to post positive comments and constructive criticism. Thank you for expressing appreciation for the hard work of all the volunteers and for helping to put complaints in perspective. I feel so MUCH better now than I did earlier today.

Pamalalala

Old 05-06-2008, 07:42 PM
T8rChick
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mmatarella
Keep in mind the vast majority are happy, enjoyed it, and will never post. People are much more moved to post when they have a complaint then when they're satisfied. In my opinion the silent majority appreciates what's done each year.
As two newbies in our new car...

Favorite part: DRIVING!!! followed very closely by meeting some great people

Least favorite: not enough time to meet more people and vendors because we were DRIVING!!!

Old 05-06-2008, 08:24 PM
kimoz
5th Gear
FAVORITE PARTs: DRIVING THE DRAGON, meeting the faces that post online & no cell or internet connection for work. Stumbling onto the GEOcaching event (also Monte Carlo Night & Brew Swap), washing mini away from home!!!

#1 Chad for the last minute belt install

LEAST FAVORITE: feeling like an idiot not being able to learn Eucker back at our cabin. Allergies that kicked in. Missing Wednesday events due to court.

As a 1st time MOTD attendee (but a 2nd time dragon driver), I (we) had a great time. Organizing events and hoping volunteers show up is very nerve racking. Any event has its good and bad. There will always be unhappy & happy folks who voice their opinions. The bad stuff always seems to overshadow the good. What's the big deal about the tent? I thought it was a great idea. Living in Cleveland you never know what the weather is going to be like. We'll be back next year.

+1 Tent
+10 Volunteers -- like Pamalalalala (I know I mis-spelled).

Old 05-06-2008, 08:31 PM
mistro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jst4fun
Pros: The entire event is a blast. The planning of the event is just fine. The rest of us that enjoy this event every year and don't have to do alot of planning except just to be there should quietly put it in our back pockets and just smile.

Cons: Really the only thing I can even complain about besides having to leave early for WORK is NOT having the dash plack in the swag bag this year. I have started a collection inside Coop of the years I have been and now this year, leaves a blank spot on the sunroof edge.

Again guys, you all did a marvelous job with the event.
Remember you can't make everyone happy.

I agree, was very disapointed about the lack of a dash plate. That's one of 3 things that are always in my car from the MOTD!

Old 05-07-2008, 05:16 AM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Originally Posted by T&CMCSa
I am sure that you spent a lot of time putting that event together but there were some other club members who did volunteer and help with the setup and decorations.
MINInurse appreciates the assistance in decorating, but what she is saying is that she is the one responsible for getting everything together.

As for the stuff she threw away, it was everything but the shirt, badge, and flashlight. Her cling was stuck to the papers in there, so she couldn't use it.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:58 AM
Call
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BrewSwapGuy
I've never seen someone with an *** that can talk so well. Coordination of MOTD is 100% open to the public. The people that put it on this year and other years and the people that step up to the plate and help. These aren't hired personnel who run events. These are fellow MINI owners who want YOU to have a good time (and of course have fun themselves). If you think you can do it better then step up to the plate next year.

And as for your pricing comments, how about we make you negotiator on the prices for dinners next year. Let's see what you plan when Fontana tells you they won't do a dinner for the super low price you seek. For them it's better to not do a dinner than not profit or take a loss on one. Bring your grill next year so you can whip up dinner for everyone.
Actually I have been a part of some of the past planning of some of the events. I also remember the events that involved eating were priced about 1/3 of what is charged now. You never see any of the volunteers involved posting about how hard they worked and how much everybody owes them for what they did. You just do it and move on. Who needs a crown? If praise is necessary it should always come from others.

Really my biggest complaint is no one every has seen the full accounting of how much is really made on this event and who gets it. Where is the accountability? I know a lot of people work for just the opportunity to serve but then there are others who take a nice wad of dough from this event.

Coordination of many of the events has seemed to have deteriorated as the years go by. We don't have to re-invent the wheel every year but it seems some try very hard to do just that and then let everybody know it. As long as it has been now this event should be a premiere event...it's not.

Call

Old 05-07-2008, 06:09 AM
COOP310
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that this is the best thing to come out of this thread and it would be a great idea for the non-paid events such as Midnight on the Dragon or the Dragon Parade! If each car brought 1 or 2 non-perishable items with them I am sure that we could make a positive impact on the area!

Maybe we could coordinate something with the Graham county LEOs to have them transport the donations to the food bank (and perhaps create some goodwill in return)

On a related note, It is not too late to make a positive impact on the area from this years event. Maybe we could take PayPal donations and send a check to the food bank.

Last edited by COOP310; 05-07-2008 at 06:12 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What was your favorite / least favorite part of MOTD this year?