MOTD Lodging...

Old 01-09-2008, 08:23 AM
MINI4MB
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MOTD Lodging...

Does anyone have MOTD lodging reservations that you will not be using? I'm a new MINI owner and this is(was) going to be my 1st MOTD event. But when the lodging is booked a year in advance, it makes it hard for a newbie to break into the action.
Any help out there?
Thanks.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:24 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Check back here a few times a day or more for people offering their place up. They go quick usually.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:52 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can ask Fontana to put you on a wait list. While your waiting go thru the lodging list HERE . If you go down the list you'll find someplace with availability and keep in mind about half of the folks attending are also staying offsite.

I can personally recommend the Blue Water Moutain lodge from the list if they are not already booked!

Old 01-09-2008, 07:03 PM
FranticFreddy
6th Gear
If you don't mind the "commute" Check the Robbinsville area. We have reservations at the Microtel there. Last year (our first) we stayed at the Blue Boar Inn. It was about a 45 minute drive to Fontana.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:05 AM
mikecontract
1st Gear
My wife and I stayed at the Blue Boar as well. Highly recommend the place, but the drive after a late night event was rough! Lots of wildlife on the way home. I heard a few bad things about several of the places, so take recommendations to heart. If you were willing to stay somewhere again it must have been pretty nice. We would stay at the Blue Boar again, but we got lucky and got a room at the Fontana Lodge!

Old 01-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Mrs. Skurvy
3rd Gear
Nantahala Village and Tapoco Lodge are supposed to be nice too.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:21 PM
ShelliM
Neutral
I just booked a cabin at Nantahala a couple of weeks ago. There were still some cabins available.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:00 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
The Blue Waters Lodge, just outside Robbinsville - towards Fontana, was a great place to stay. A little pricey since it's a B&B but worth the money. Hope to stay there again for an anniversary or something.

Nantahala is also nice.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:27 PM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
i have a half paid for room at Natahala. let me know.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Modnar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mikecontract
My wife and I stayed at the Blue Boar as well. Highly recommend the place, but the drive after a late night event was rough! Lots of wildlife on the way home. I heard a few bad things about several of the places, so take recommendations to heart. If you were willing to stay somewhere again it must have been pretty nice. We would stay at the Blue Boar again, but we got lucky and got a room at the Fontana Lodge!
What kind of bad things about what kind of places? I hadn't planned on going because I thought my co-pilot didn't want to go, but I've been informed that I was mistaken. So now I need some lodging for myself and my somewhat fastidious lady friend.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Thumper460
4th Gear
As the TIME gets closer.. rooms will open up in Fontana!! I got ours a few years back, 3 weeks befor the DRAGON... SOOOooooo... keep bumping the Fontana lodge, cause places do open up!! cool??

Just me............................

Thumper

Old 01-21-2008, 08:29 PM
MyMiNiC
Neutral
Phillips Motel

Hi everyone~

I'm kinda new here looking for a little help. Wondering if anyone that has gone to the Dragon has stayed at the Phillips Motel in Robbinsville? If so, how was it?

I really want to go to the Dragon this year but I want a decent place to stay.

Thanks,

~A~

Old 01-23-2008, 07:45 PM
RudyT
4th Gear
I called Fontana and I am sitting, a bit worried, in 8th place. What are my chances that a room/lodge/cabin will open up? Should I be worried? Are my chances good that I will end up there?

I really hate gambling and could use some experienced people to chime in to help settle some nerves...

Old 01-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Deviant
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I've heard chances get pretty good about a month out since that's when people start realizing they won't be able to get off work or get away from other engagements to come and have to cancel. Which is a good thing since I have a friend who must be either right ahead of, or right behind you in line.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:56 AM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Deviant
From what I've heard chances get pretty good about a month out since that's when people start realizing they won't be able to get off work or get away from other engagements to come and have to cancel. Which is a good thing since I have a friend who must be either right ahead of, or right behind you in line.
You are 100% right on the money..
Many people do discover in the last month that they may not be able to make it for one reason or another.

I went last year with no reservations and hoping that someone would cancel and as luck would have it
the front desk asked us to come back after 12noon and they had a room for us from someone that didn't show up.
We were also willing to stay as far as an hour from the Dragon so that gave us many options that were better than not going at all.

This year we have a room at the main lodge at Fontana but now we have over 10 other friends with Mini's
that have never been there and that want to come but there isn't enough room in my lodge room for them all.
I would have reserved a Cabin if I would've known that it was going to be that large of a group.

I have told the rest of the group to grab some tents and worse case senerio they can camp out at one of the many camping areas around there.
With a group like theres, they'll end up having more fun that way anyway.

REMEMBER: If you really want to go, don't let lodging be an excuse not to go. I am confident that everyone will be accomidated in one way or another.
I've also known of other Mini owners that have a room to themselves and hear of those in need and have offered up the extra bed in their double rooms.

NOTE: Keep an eye on this and other threads on this site and you may be surprised by the last minute offers.

Good Luck... I hope to see all of you there ...

In the mean time enjoy my video of the sights and sounds of last years MOTD.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:15 AM
Thumper460
4th Gear
Totally awesome videos... I have been here almost an hour!! LOL
In the videos it showed the part we all dred.. RAIN!! Remember to bring rain gear.. and at min a few good umbrellas.. cool??

About the room's.. befor we left last year the Village was booked!! ( see all the talk about in in the archives...) And as stated, a lot of those wont make it this year... so they hold on until the last minute.. and then dump their res... PLUS like said above.. camping in the Mountains .. is Great, don't let the bed keep you from the DRAGON!! Also if you do get stuck.. we will be more than willing to share our table/shower if you ask... cool??

Just me.........................

Thumper

Old 01-24-2008, 05:26 AM
RudyT
4th Gear
thanks for all the advice. Looks like I'll pack a tent just in case. Its not like I'll be in it very long.

FYI: this will be my first MOTD as in past years I was in Germany.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:30 AM
RudyT
4th Gear
and as far as the shortage or lack of accomodations... You can be certain this will not keep me from attending the dragon this year. Like many of you I have been looking forward to this event all year and even longer while overseas.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:58 AM
Thumper460
4th Gear
Germany...!! Well look at the DRAGON like the Hyway 7 thru Schwarzwald and Bavaria to the Neuschwanstein and Alps... only with no Brat and and killer Coffee!! and you CAN understand everyone ( LOL if you dont get TOO far off the beaten path!!) A few friends did camp out at the Dam.. and had a ball!!

See ya there...

Just me..........................

Thumper

On the Dragon... not camping!! Ja! Goot!!

Old 01-24-2008, 09:04 AM
IsAMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MyMiNiC
Hi everyone~

I'm kinda new here looking for a little help. Wondering if anyone that has gone to the Dragon has stayed at the Phillips Motel in Robbinsville? If so, how was it?

Thanks,

~A~

We stayed there our first year.......the newer room are okay...they have some great 3 bdrom houses you can share. Beware of the "cheap" old rooms...they are really BAD!!! That's what we had and it was awful!!

Old 01-24-2008, 11:47 AM
cruzman
1st Gear
Accomodations won't keep me from making it this year..got the tent and sleeping bag ready just in case..nothing like living on the edge...

Old 01-24-2008, 07:27 PM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
Well I have my cabin at Fontana and a 1 bed room cabin at Natahala (that will most likely be for sale since i have paid for half of it already).

PM me for details

Old 01-28-2008, 05:22 PM
UN4G1VN
1st Gear
We got a cabin last year near Robbinsville late. You can try to look on VRBO.com

Old 01-28-2008, 08:25 PM
jasonsmf
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MyMiNiC
Hi everyone~

Thanks,

~A~

I stayed there in 06, in the 3 BR apartment under the restaurant. There were some unwelcome 4 legged guests running around on the ceiling tiles above my head........made it hard to sleep.

I've heard that other rooms at the Phillips are much nicer.

Jason

Old 01-29-2008, 04:10 AM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by UN4G1VN
We got a cabin last year near Robbinsville late. You can try to look on VRBO.com
Your right! I did a quick search of the Robbinsville area and I came up with a really nice looking cabin.
Here is the link to that cabin: http://www.vrbo.com/12306

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MOTD Lodging...