5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

Reserve your 2-Way Radio Channel

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:46 AM
schooner2
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I know! I have been in the communication industry for years! I know!! I should have just stayed quite about it, I should have know someone would start saying stuff like that about using them! Sorry for saying anything-- and just for the record We are very very very happy with them!

Last edited by schooner2; 04-23-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:58 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by schooner2
Yeah I know! I have been in the communication industry for years! I know!! I should have just stayed quite about it, I should have know someone would start saying stuff like that about using them! Sorry for saying anything-- and just for the record We are very very very happy with them!
S'ok, I don't work for the FCC and my MINI is not a triangulation rig.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:05 AM
jibeho
5th Gear
Originally Posted by schooner2
That may work in West Podunk where there are no lakes but being right next to a very large lake you may interfere with legitimate marina traffic. If you screen name reflects that your a boater like me you should know better

Old 04-23-2007, 10:09 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jibeho
That may work in West Podunk where there are no lakes but being right next to a very large lake you may interfere with legitimate marina traffic. If you screen name reflects that your a boater like me you should know better
Well I think The Great Salt Lake is a little bit bigger than Fontana!

Old 04-23-2007, 10:32 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by aday
that's ok. everyone in our group used these channels the last couple of years and will again this year. i was only posting it here to get it up on the list, not much for reservations.
I strongly recommend you don't. You will only tick off the Michigan MINI folks, not to mention that you're going to have your own problems communicating at the same time they do.

Please - pick one from 17, 18 & 19, and be done with it!

Old 04-23-2007, 11:22 AM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
Originally Posted by Edge
I strongly recommend you don't. You will only tick off the Michigan MINI folks, not to mention that you're going to have your own problems communicating at the same time they do.

Please - pick one from 17, 18 & 19, and be done with it!
Thanks Edge We will have about 50 MINI's at the Dragon this year

Old 04-25-2007, 02:39 PM
tsukiji
4th Gear
Originally Posted by aday
that's ok. everyone in our group used these channels the last couple of years and will again this year. i was only posting it here to get it up on the list, not much for reservations.
6-22 has been the Black Sheep channel for years & we ain't movin'!

Old 04-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This appears to be a conflict that will not be resolved here, now. I'm not getting in the middle and instead will let frustration ensue because of plain old stubborness. While it will create some interference and comm. issues, it may serve as a good illustration regarding the original intent of this thread and the need for cooperation/coordination among us. My personal apologies to those affected.

That said, I have "officially" (as official as I can get with the authority I've simply snatched from thin air and bestowed upon myself!) closed the reservations - including both requests on channel 6. I have not included the aforementioned VHF frequency in the Directory print template for various reasons.

Feel free to download and print the following .pdf templates (print one on each side of a page) onto Avery perforated Inkjet/Laser business cards (#5371 or similar) or cut them from regular copy paper:

Front (By Channel)
Back (Alphabetical)

See you at the Dragon.

Motor Happy!
=J

Old 04-26-2007, 01:37 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
I would advise all three groups that have laid claim to channel 6 (although IMO, Michigan MINIs has the most valid claim to it while at MOTD, since they posted it here first) to make alternate plans to use one of the other unused channels (17, 18 or 19), since you will undoubtedly be stepping on each other's conversations around Fontana.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:56 AM
vargasgal
5th Gear
This could get interesting when clubs who don't regularly visit NAM get to the Dragon and find their normal channels full...

Not every club has a big presence on NAM. I know mine, with the exception of myself and maybe two others, are pretty much nonexistent on here. I'm not trying to start anything--just wondering how they are supposed to find out they need to pick a new channel. I guess they are just in for a suprise.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:10 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by vargasgal
This could get interesting when clubs who don't regularly visit NAM get to the Dragon and find their normal channels full...

Not every club has a big presence on NAM. I know mine, with the exception of myself and maybe two others, are pretty much nonexistent on here. I'm not trying to start anything--just wondering how they are supposed to find out they need to pick a new channel. I guess they are just in for a suprise.
It's not that big of a deal, every year there is a lot of interference with people using the same channels. This year it will be much less, but we will never eliminate it completely.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Exactly. It's not a big deal. I would not be offended in any way if there was chatter from people I didn't know on a station I used. Seriously, they are short range radios, you will only hear people in your immediate area. And are people really going to sit there and talk for hours? I hope not, there is way too much other stuff to do at the Dragon. You cannot hear the chatter of people at the Dragon when you are at Fontana, if you are driving the Skyway with a group and using them to talk from car to car, you will not hear anyone else.

There were other people on our channel last year and no one cared. You just get on and say "Any other ___ members on here?" And you either get a response or don't. It's nice to try to space people out a little since this event is huge now, but a little overlapping will happen with 800 people there and it's nothing to make any fuss about.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by Jenn B
There were other people on our channel last year and no one cared. You just get on and say "Any other ___ members on here?" And you either get a response or don't. It's nice to try to space people out a little since this event is huge now, but a little overlapping will happen with 800 people there and it's nothing to make any fuss about.
The point though is that the problem is larger when there is channel sharing on different subchannels... much more toe-stepping into other conversations than would occur if everyone on that channel used the same subchannel (and could hear what was going on... when to speak up and when to wait...)

Old 04-26-2007, 10:20 AM
tsukiji
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jenn B
...it's nothing to make any fuss about.
True dat.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:19 AM
Squirlz
6th Gear
If I might add something on a related note: When using your walkie; pause for a second between keying and speaking. Your first words will not be picked up if you key the mike and speak simultaneously. Just a little peeve of mine. Carry on. Over.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Isn't Channel 9 considered an emergency channel? Or is that just for CB's?

Old 04-26-2007, 01:38 PM
bumble's angel
6th Gear
Could we post at the registration table or include in the welcome package at list. By no means do I think people will not step on each other but it might cut down on it a little if a list was displayed/provided.

Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
Isn't Channel 9 considered an emergency channel? Or is that just for CB's?
Not sure but I am going to listen to your channel to see what you are going to try and frame on me next.

Oh and by rule of "Iwinyoulose" I get channel 6

Old 04-26-2007, 07:22 PM
yellowmininy
2nd Gear
Rather than making this a territorial dispute, there ought to be a way to turn this into a positive thing. For example, I've met some very nice people from the Michigan Minis group and CarNut's Garage. Maybe this is one way that people can get to know some folks they might not meet otherwise.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:33 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by yellowmininy
Rather than making this a territorial dispute, there ought to be a way to turn this into a positive thing. For example, I've met some very nice people from the Michigan Minis group and CarNut's Garage. Maybe this is one way that people can get to know some folks they might not meet otherwise.
A very nice idea, but if all of them are going to use different subchannels, they won't be talking to the other groups, they'll just be frustrated by the inability to communicate sometimes, because others are using that channel.

The only way that it would work is if all of the groups agreed to use the same subchannel also!

Old 04-26-2007, 07:46 PM
TheWrks
How many are in the "Carnut" group ? We will be about 50

Old 04-26-2007, 07:54 PM
tsukiji
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheWrks
How many are in the "Carnut" group ? We will be about 50
I hope you're not suggesting a rumble?

Old 04-26-2007, 09:16 PM
TheWrks
Originally Posted by tsukiji
I hope you're not suggesting a rumble?
Why are you

Old 04-26-2007, 10:10 PM
tsukiji
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheWrks
Why are you
I'm sure we'll all get along just fine—despite the dire predictions of a fretful interloper.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:11 PM
TheWrks
Originally Posted by tsukiji
I'm sure we'll all get along just fine—despite the dire predictions of a fretful interloper.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:28 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
I apparently misunderstood that the Blacksheep Channel was referring to a separate group from Carnut's Garage. I thought that was simply a humorous reference to Carnut's Garage using a channel that had already been requested. Sorry for the unintentional omission on the printed template (if I get time, I'll update it over the weekend - but that's not looking very likely. )

Quick Reply: Reserve your 2-Way Radio Channel