5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

Midnight on the Dragon IV

Old 03-20-2007, 05:09 PM
UKCoopeR
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
last year was my first time, and while i was nervous in anticipation, once you get going you are fine, afterwards i was really glad i went, besides when you are nervous you are more attentive

Old 03-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Drillslinger
No worries dude, just stay behind my nervous rear-end and speed will NOT be an issue
Oh yeah, and "Dude" in a completely "Gender non-specific" term in Drill-speak
Originally Posted by bamatt
Don't get nervous Trinity. Just pay attention to your surroundings/driving & you will have a blast
Im looking forward to it, I think the best place for me will be at the back of the group

Old 03-20-2007, 05:44 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trinity07
OK this newb is beginning to get a bit nervous about Midnight on the Dragon...
Im looking forward to it, I think the best place for me will be at the back of the group
Or you can stay with me at the Crossroads of Time at Deal's Gap and be part of the Midnight support team. My night-vision ain't what it used to be when I was a young'n.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:40 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
There will be plenty of us slow pokes hanging in back - no worries. I'll be back there....

Old 03-21-2007, 06:34 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
OK - y'all scared me enough that I just ordered driving lights like Imagox's... I hope y'all are happy now...

Old 03-21-2007, 07:01 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
OK - y'all scared me enough that I just ordered driving lights like Imagox's... I hope y'all are happy now...
Only if you get UJ covers for them

Old 03-21-2007, 07:22 AM
Mishka
6th Gear
Just ordered my lights, also. They were already on the list of things for this Dragon and were going to be a birthday present, but thought I might as well get them before they sold out.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:20 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
HA! Hella should be paying me a commission! Sheesh!

Hope you guys live the lights as much as I do. I think I've PM'd you both, but here's a drawing of a custom light bracket that work prfectly with the Outmoring or OEM "bonnet" style mounts. The OEM Hella brackets (which cradle the light and mount to your roll bar or bracket) has two mounting holes and the bonnet bracket has but a single mounting hole. I calculated that drilling a centered hole in the Hella light bracket would be a simple and free fix for this issue, however being an **** retentive perfectionist, I designed a set of special brackets with a single mounting hole that work PERFECTLY with the bonnet mounts. Mine "hug" the countours of the Optilux lights a bit better as well, making for a less obtrusive instalation:

Also, you can save yourself some install time on the Dragon by installing the Outmotoring bonnet brackets yourself - it's dead easy! I wrote a How-to on the lights AND the bonnet mounts HERE. Even if you aren't comfortable with the wiring, I'd recommend putting the brackets on ahead of time if you have basic hand tools.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:46 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Yeah, I printed off your "how to" this morning - so I'll have it ready when I tackle this in a few weeks after vacation... I think I'll like them... love the small size and the squid rings.

Did you ever manage to get them sealed properly?

I'm debating whether I want to switch them like yours, or put them on the high beams... BRAINBLAST...might be cool to do BOTH.... (three position switch - on, off, and connected to high beams) hmmmm....

Old 03-21-2007, 09:42 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
Only if you get UJ covers for them
Already thought about that.... I'm assuming the ones you can buy won't fit as these lights are smaller than the OEMs - but I'm thinking about making some little soft padded UJ "shower caps" they can wear...

Old 03-21-2007, 10:14 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Re: sealing the lights... The issue went away in the winter, but I suspect that it might return this summer. I'm pretty sure that a tiny ammount of water is running alnog the wires and passing through the rubber grommit via capillary action. As soon as it gets a bit warmer (maybe this weekend) I plan to simply fill the back of the housing with a squirt of silicone. I figure when I need to replace a bulb (hopfully not for a long while) it will be easier for me to just cut out the cured silicone and re-seal it than look at a misty light every day and go nuts.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
Well, I don't have driving lights so I might just strap this joker to the roof

Old 03-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear

Im following you

Old 03-21-2007, 07:05 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear

I'm not kidding - I actually thought about how to fasten a couple of these to the bumper for about three minutes before uttering an expletive and ordering the Hellas...

Old 03-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
I actually found these magnetic bases:

It's got 100lbs of grip and costs $19 from MagnaLight.com I figured some painters tape on the magnet will prevent scratches

Old 03-21-2007, 09:44 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
And put them WHERE? Directly on the bonnet? It's an interesting idea, anyway, but if they DO slide even painter's tape won't save you from some sctatching - I'd use a peice of thin cloth or microfiber glued on with spray-on adhesive m'self...

Old 03-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
You all should consider just replacing your stock high beam bulbs with some that have more illum. Much cheaper and highly effective.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:31 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
What's brighter than 2006 OEM Xenon projectors that won't end up costing MORE than driving lights?

Besides, driving lights look COOL.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:37 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Just a little reminder, friends: sales of the Midnight on the Dragon tee-shirts close on 3/29.

All proceeds will be donated to United Cerebral Palsy!

Here's the link to order yours. They will be shipped out on approximately April 18, so everyone will have them before MOTD!

Thanks!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:20 AM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
What's brighter than 2006 OEM Xenon projectors that won't end up costing MORE than driving lights?

Besides, driving lights look COOL.
Xenons are the low beams. Replace the 55w H7 halogen high beams with a hotter bulb like found on this page (65w Osram w/ double the lumen): http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html

Cost: Only $26.40 x2 plus roughly $5 shipping. Takes a couple minutes to switch each one out. Far easier and cheaper than driving lights and easily reversible if you don't like it. Then if it's still not enough for you, you can try driving lights. A far better choice IMHO.

I don't think driving lights look COOL when mounted on the upper grille. Now a set of four in front of the lower grille...

More good info on lights: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...lbs/bulbs.html

Old 03-22-2007, 05:43 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Fireman
Xenons are the low beams. Replace the 55w H7 halogen high beams with a hotter bulb like found on this page (65w Osram w/ double the lumen): http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html

Cost: Only $26.40 x2 plus roughly $5 shipping. Takes a couple minutes to switch each one out. Far easier and cheaper than driving lights and easily reversible if you don't like it. Then if it's still not enough for you, you can try driving lights. A far better choice IMHO.

I don't think driving lights look COOL when mounted on the upper grille. Now a set of four in front of the lower grille...

More good info on lights: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...lbs/bulbs.html
Hmmmmmm..... my xenon match bulbs may be going buh-bye....

AND I'm going to have driving lights...
Which DO look cool. Anybody who says otherwise should be driving a Yugo.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:55 AM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
And put them WHERE? Directly on the bonnet? It's an interesting idea, anyway, but if they DO slide even painter's tape won't save you from some sctatching - I'd use a peice of thin cloth or microfiber glued on with spray-on adhesive m'self...
Was thinking of mounting it centered on the front edge of the roof. Then I can run the 12V cord down through the sunroof

And the painters tape would go on the magnet AND the roof

Old 03-22-2007, 06:46 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Thanks for the info on the replacement bulbs! That's right - it;s the *2007* that uses the Xenons for both low and high beams...

Lights on the roof is an interesting idea... I'll be interested to see how these look/work if you go that way!

Old 03-22-2007, 07:02 AM
UKCoopeR
5th Gear

I wanted to try and see if i could get a third light inbetween the two i have and look awesome like this mini, but i think i read somewhere it blocks to much airflow you guys know anything about this?

Last edited by UKCoopeR; 03-22-2007 at 07:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-22-2007, 07:13 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Are you talking about on a classic Mini or new MINI? That seems like it would be a valid concern, yes... Lights DO block quite a bit of the front grille, depending on the size of the units you use. It won't blow something up I don't think, but it might cut down the airflow and lead to increased heat and/or lower HP. Be sure to monitor your temp gauge carefully when you first do this and pay attention to the car's pick-up - if you notice anything amis, I'd deinstall the extra light.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Midnight on the Dragon IV