5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

Dinner Registration Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:25 AM
SB
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Mark.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:02 PM
ozarkroots
Coordinator :: Mini's of the Ozark Region
No rest for the weary

Well this is a classic case of a good thing having growing pains and the people who do most of the work being criticized for their efforts.

For all the times I have seen comments about how friendly the MINI community is this is a real disappointment!! But not surprising.

If it is so important for some to be there at the welcome dinner, PM me and I will give you my places (2). This will be my first time to the MOTD but I can make do whatever.
As to some other organization doing a better job, perhaps they have a longer history to work from!!

No one is going to spoil my fun.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:10 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Chill Ozark. I only see one person complaining. But... it's just the nature of the beast. If you end up giving your tickets away you are more than welcome to come to our impromptu not-so-welcome dinner

Old 03-11-2007, 01:15 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ozarkroots
Well this is a classic case of a good thing having growing pains and the people who do most of the work being criticized for their efforts.

For all the times I have seen comments about how friendly the MINI community is this is a real disappointment!! But not surprising.

If it is so important for some to be there at the welcome dinner, PM me and I will give you my places (2). This will be my first time to the MOTD but I can make do whatever.
As to some other organization doing a better job, perhaps they have a longer history to work from!!

When you get a bunch of people in a group, you will get people who complain, that is just the way it is. MINI owners are more social, but not nicer than other vehicle owners, IMO.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:23 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess the ol saying you can't please very one is true. Mistro, I'm sorry you felt left out, that was not our intention. We've been working on the Welcome Dinner since October and hope those that did get tickets are pleased with the results. I don't know if any one place can handle a single dinner that will hold the 700+ people expected to show this year. Ozarkroots, thanks for sticking up for us. As Bamatt said "it's just the nature of the beast" We did not expect to sell 300 tickets in 4 days. There was no precedance for that. Last year 240 tickets were sold over something like 8 weeks.

Kudo's to Bamatt for picking up the torch and starting another dinner

Old 03-11-2007, 01:28 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by snooter
& kudos to SB. But calling ours a dinner is really a stretch. Ours is more like a come grab a bowl of chili/piece of cornbread

Old 03-11-2007, 06:57 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will there be a limit on the people for the Dragon Banquet?

Old 03-11-2007, 07:06 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
700 people on the Dragon is a scary thought. Glad I got my registration early! Well before the last 90 people anyways. LOL

Richard

Originally Posted by snooter
I guess the ol saying you can't please very one is true. Mistro, I'm sorry you felt left out, that was not our intention. We've been working on the Welcome Dinner since October and hope those that did get tickets are pleased with the results. I don't know if any one place can handle a single dinner that will hold the 700+ people expected to show this year. Ozarkroots, thanks for sticking up for us. As Bamatt said "it's just the nature of the beast" We did not expect to sell 300 tickets in 4 days. There was no precedance for that. Last year 240 tickets were sold over something like 8 weeks.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:14 PM
MOE4me
3rd Gear
I don't really see what all the whining is about...

I'm fairly new to the game...read that registration would be opening in mid-February with a limited # of spaces for various events, so I checked on a daily basis (hey, it's the internet...it only takes 30 seconds). So, it opened a few days later than expected , but I jumped on the events I wanted to go to when it did open.

As they used to tell us in the Army: You snooze, you lose. Deal with it.

Or better yet... "there's no crying in baseball !" I really don't know what that has to do with anything, but it still cracks me up..

Old 03-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Originally Posted by JustJAY
Will there be a limit on the people for the Dragon Banquet?
I'll be speaking to Fontana about this tomorrow. The big issue is that I had secured a certain amount of sponsorship dollars to drive down the cost of the dinner so that it was more affordable than last year. If we don't put a cap on the banquet at some point it there won't be dollars to offset the costs incurred by the additional people. We had originally targeted 350-400 people so we still have some room. Beyond 400, even with cost not being a concern, the facility, while very large, won't be big enough.

Mark

Old 03-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Mark
BTW - for comparison purposes. Last year we had:

Welcome dinner: 242
Farewell dinner: 230

Given the most recent tickets sales for the banquet we're already up to 317 which is a 37% increase over last year's attendence (and we still have three weeks till registration closes)

Mark

Old 03-12-2007, 04:58 AM
Kamofrogg
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mark

Given the most recent tickets sales for the banquet we're already up to 317 which is a 37% increase over last year's attendence (and we still have three weeks till registration closes)

Mark
Now I'm glad we DIDN'T register our two kids. That gave two other people their dinner slots. The kids can eat in the room. I'm really looking forward to this.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:27 AM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse

Mark
While that's accurate for the number of tickets sold through NAM it's not accurate for the number of people who attended. When we (myself and another party) planned the dinners last year we used those as a base for our estimate then added an additional chunk. I believe we ended up telling the Fontana people 300 for the welcome and 275 for the farewell. So we sold the extra spots on sight on a first-come-first-serve basis. So while attendance is up the delta isn't as giant as it seems.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:30 AM
hoham
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ozarkroots

This is also my first time and Since I missed out on reservations in Fontana, I watched the boards nearly hourly to "register"...

I guess as events grow, concerns will be addressed. I'd hate to see it fall apart if folks who cannot get into the dinners, stay home.

Perhaps as someone else suggested, a 'few' welcoming dinners will be needed in Robbinsville and Fontana, and or a couple of times? ( like the Hoop-De-Do at WDW! )....

hoham

Old 03-12-2007, 11:38 AM
IsAMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mistro
Last year I was a brand new MINI owner (less than a week) and I registered late and got into all of the events!

So I am not sure of the names but the openining registration was held next to a large ballroom. We were served Burgers and Hot dogs and salads, there was a cash bar. This room was also were the Ice Cream Social went on. The next night was the BBQ at Topocino and the last night's dinner was in a small long hall next to the restaurant. The ballroom could easily accomodate 500 people. The hall next to the restaurant is probably maxed at 300, but why not open another room and pipe in the speaches, raffels etc?

I mean there is 50 days until this event, there's no way to accomodate excess crowds?
I watched the site like a hawk and pounced when stuff opened up. If you watch the threads you can see who is doing what. Watch for cancellations too. I personally sold my 2 Welcome dinner tickets because my brother chose not to attend and I opted out to eat elsewhere with him. Last year there were several folks offering up different things because of changed plans so don't get too discouraged just keep your eyes open...even post a thread asking for any cancellations. I didn't have any less of a good time because I missed the Welcome dinner.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Mark
Originally Posted by hoham
This is also my first time and Since I missed out on reservations in Fontana, I watched the boards nearly hourly to "register"...

I guess as events grow, concerns will be addressed. I'd hate to see it fall apart if folks who cannot get into the dinners, stay home.

Perhaps as someone else suggested, a 'few' welcoming dinners will be needed in Robbinsville and Fontana, and or a couple of times? ( like the Hoop-De-Do at WDW! )....

hoham
I've been on the phone with Fontana today talking about caps on the sizes for the remaining dinners. One of the alternatives to a cap is to insure that another "eating" option available for the Banquet. What I've asked for is if there is a way to "simulcast" the event to another venue so everyone can "virtually" attend the dinner (especially if they have done the vendor scavenger hunt). I'll let you know what I learn from Fontana.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:37 PM
krolyat
6th Gear
I'll provide a means to do this in a few days. It will effectively be a contact us type of feature and we'll have to verify your registration. If possible try to make your plans as early as you can so we don't have to manage multiple orders from everyone. With 600 or more registrations there will be more than enough for me to juggle

Mark
PM sent

Old 03-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Dai Uy Ted
2nd Gear
If 300 folks signed up in four days, an overflow allowance would be filled in a few more hours. Two days ago. Remember, the handful of SSM'ers who arranged this based their planning on some 240+ dinner registrations last year. (Previously, $25 or so got you a choice between hot dogs and burgers.)
Like the previous poster said, there'll be plenty of other things to do that night for anyone with any imagination and/or Mini enthusiasm.
Motor on and stay loose!

Old 03-12-2007, 04:22 PM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
Originally Posted by Dai Uy Ted
..(Previously, $25 or so got you a choice between hot dogs and burgers.)...
Actually it was $22 and a buffet of hotdogs, burgers, barbeque chicken, potato salad, pasta salad, and some other stuff I don't remember. Of the bit I had to eat it was very good, however I didn't get too much as I was busy working the door. We also didn't have any sponsorship money to offset costs.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:03 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mistro
Not true! The upstairs room where one of the dinners was held last year (buffet style) had plenty of room for way more that 300 people! And I made my reservations when we left last year too! Next year, I'll have to be on this board continually to get one of the 1st 300 slots. The Porsche conventions have better planning...
The big room at the Inn, is the Crolina room, and it is limited to 300 people.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:04 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JustJAY
I don't recall going upstairs for any of the dinners and I attended both of them? I was #3 and #4.
It's upstairs from the pool entrance, IIRC.