5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

Highland Manor Inn in Townsend too far??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 09:51 AM
Obsessive
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Highland Manor Inn in Townsend too far??

First year heading to the dragon and of course everything is showing it is booked up except the Highland Manor in Townsend TN. I quickly made a reservation which I can cancel up to 3 days prior with no penalty. Has anyone stayed there before and is this place too far away from the festivities?

Old 01-31-2007, 10:33 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
There are still places in Robbinsville and along Hwy 28 East of Fontana that are closer and still have accommodations available. Use Scooter's website for their contact info and call around.

Your "too far" question is solely a matter of opinion. If you like driving then its probably not too far.

Scooter's site is http://www.minisonthedragon.info/lodging.html

Old 01-31-2007, 12:53 PM
jibeho
5th Gear
Looks like a crazy nice ride up there on Google earth.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:35 PM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Highland Manor is about 1 hour 25min from Fontana.(per yahoo maps) You do get to drive the Dragon to get there. (though late at night after a couple of brewskies, I'm not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing)

Last year I stayed at Blue Water Mountain Lodge, that was about 38 minutes to Fontana. I did not mind that. But 85 minutes would be my last choice if nothing else is available.

I made some phone calls from my lodging list(see Matts post above) for a SSM member over the weekend and my first two phone calls to: Nantahala resort and the Overnighter both had openings.

FYI: Robbinsville is closest, then Almond, then Bryson City, then Andrews, then Townsend and Marysville

Old 01-31-2007, 02:09 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
The Overnighter no longer has any available beds as of this morning.

I was calling around, using your list, this morning for 2 people. There are many openings in the vicinity of Fontana.

I highly advise people to use Snooter's list and to call those places. That's what I did.

Geez, you'd think one of us was getting a commission.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:19 PM
Obsessive
2nd Gear
Thanks for the help and advice, this being my first time I would have to book something a couple hours and who knows how many speed traps away. But as I get older I am more willing to bow to the infinately more experienced. I will start working the phones tomorrow. I will post what I find so I can help other newbies - heads up everyone - room opening up in Townsend tomorrow! (I hope)

Old 01-31-2007, 06:52 PM
queenB
Coordinator :: Smoky Mountain MINIs
It's about an hour to Fontana from Townsend. It's a good bit longer in the dark. There is infrequent radar on 321 in Townsend and sometimes on the Foothills Parkway (fastest route to the Dragon). The Parkway is in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park which is an expensive ticket. Have a friend with you on the dashboard. You might try the Tally Ho Inn if you end up staying in Townsend but there is a big festival in town that weekend so they may be full.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Soon I will start auctioning the 50 Fontana cabins I reserved a year in advance. Keep watching ebay folks!

I'm gonna make a killing this year!

Old 02-01-2007, 11:41 AM
HumbleHarper
1st Gear
I suggest you hold off booking that far away; watch the boards, rooms will come open. Last year, I ended up sharing a cabin with a young couple from Florida, I was not in the least uncomfortable, the cabin was plenty big and we respected each other's space. Patience, young skywalker.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Uncl3
5th Gear
I have a reservation at Microtel in Robinsville if your interested. I made it before I got a room at Fontana thinking that there weren't any rooms available. Let me know and I'll be glad to give it to ya.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Obsessive
2nd Gear
Uncl3,
That is awfuly kind of you. I am wait listed at Fontana and would appreciate being an hour closer to the festivities than Townend. Do you have details on the room and cost per night? I need two beds in the room (I know beggers can't be choosers)

Thanks a lot!!!!

Old 02-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Uncl3
5th Gear
It's a single queen for $85 a night I believe. You can take the reservation and possibly upgrade for a bigger room. Plus you can cancel the reservation free of charge til 6pm day of arrival.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Obsessive
2nd Gear
Guess I better take it for now as it is the best offer I have had so far, hope we can meet up in person over the weekend and I'll buy you drink!

Old 02-02-2007, 04:05 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by Obsessive
Guess I better take it for now as it is the best offer I have had so far, hope we can meet up in person over the weekend and I'll buy you drink!
Come to the Brew Swap and you guys can trade drinks.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:22 AM
GeminiSun
2nd Gear
I too am staying in Townsend - at the Tally Ho lodge. Everyone is correct, it is a pretty good distance from Townsend to Fontana Village. And if the roads get fog - they are a real challenge to drive at night.