3rd Gen FAQs 3rd Gen Common Questions & Answers!

Union Jack Taillights

Old 05-14-2018, 10:34 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DunkM
One must enter BDC_Body and edit the FDL file.

Then you must enter 3068, and change
ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG from flaechenvergroesserung (expanded area) to bremslicht_blinkend (brake light flashing)

Then 3064 and change
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_L_OUTPUT from fra_h_l (back blinker) to bl_l (brake light?)
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_R_OUTPUT from fra_h_r to bl_r,
Note:this output does not make light occur anywhere on the LCI lights, may be different on the other lights.

The above will remove the error message that occurs when you just change expanded area to brake light flashing. However, as said above, it is not safe because the brake lights on the UJ taillights turn off completely.
I assume if those MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_L[R]_OUTPUT settings are instead set to 'off' (like xxx_2_L[R]_OUTPUT) that only the 3rd brake light (BL_M) will flash under heavy braking, yeah? That might be a good way to go, too.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:27 PM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
Has anyone resolved the coding with the US UJ LCI tail lights? MINI distribution in California received them and just received my set that was on backorder.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:05 PM
Forcerecontrojan
2nd Gear
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SFMCS
Has anyone resolved the coding with the US UJ LCI tail lights? MINI distribution in California received them and just received my set that was on backorder.
Did you order from your dealer? Can you share how much they were?

I am waiting for US lights and for someone here to say it was PnP, I have a 2018/LED so I am hoping the US lights are PnP.

TIA

Old 06-03-2018, 05:27 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Did you order from your dealer? Can you share how much they were?

I did a BMW part # …….. on Google and discount MINI part dealers came up. Got part #'s (US) from this thread. Mine ran about 167 ea plus shipping. My local dealer marks up parts about 50% over list. I do not use them.

I am waiting for US lights and for someone here to say it was PnP, I have a 2018/LED so I am hoping the US lights are PnP.

Doubt the are PnP. Waiting to get mine coded.

The following users liked this post:
Forcerecontrojan (06-04-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 06:47 AM
eastport_mini
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Coded Brakelights

boki (06-04-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 06:52 AM
eastport_mini
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Coded Brakelights

i coded the above from bfd to fra_h
both right and left.
That removed the brake light function from lighting over the turn signal
so now the brake light doesn’t light on the side that the turn signal is flashing on.
You still have the brake light on the other side and on the high stop light.

boki (06-04-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 07:06 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Just testing as I closed this thread and then reopened.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:34 PM
Rich Rodichok
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Test Post for WNW.

Whine not Walnuts (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 06:53 PM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
My car has the UJ lights from the factory. I'm happy to poke around the coding with Bimmercode and see how MINI has everything set up. Might help folks trying to retrofit them into pre-LCI cars. Just need to know where to poke around in Bimmercode and what sections/values are of interest.

boki (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 06:56 AM
boki
3rd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by eastport_mini
i coded the above from bfd to fra_h
both right and left.
That removed the brake light function from lighting over the turn signal
so now the brake light doesn’t light on the side that the turn signal is flashing on.
You still have the brake light on the other side and on the high stop light.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! That's what we've been waiting for - thanks so much for figuring this out for us.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:50 PM
Forcerecontrojan
2nd Gear
I found them 161 dollars each. I sent an email to the code4You guy in NJ...no reply after 2 emails. I have read this thread a couple of times but still cannot figure out...can we code this with Beemer Code? I have that and have used it a few times. Should I just wait until this has more time to mature/adopt.
Thanks

Old 06-05-2018, 05:03 PM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Forcerecontrojan
I found them 161 dollars each. I sent an email to the code4You guy in NJ...no reply after 2 emails. I have read this thread a couple of times but still cannot figure out...can we code this with Beemer Code? I have that and have used it a few times. Should I just wait until this has more time to mature/adopt.
Thanks
I sent a message to him for something unrelated and received an automated reply saying he was out of town and not due back till the 7th.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:13 PM
SFMCS
4th Gear
US, UJ tail lights success

My '15 MCS finally got the new LCI tail lights, US/UK. Okee, from CodeMyCar.com, programmed them after I checked the correct US functions at my local dealer. He charges a total of $180 (140 programming, 40 for the cable via priority mail) and will re-program at n/c. He drives a M3 so he has a clue and has been doing this for over 8 years. He hung in there during bad connections and solved it. Also did a lot of other functions. I have bimmercode which is alright but felt that, for my year/model I did not want to screw with it. Good guy, very conscientious and amiable. Would recommend him. Total cost (with shipping/programming) 386 + 180 =$566. Will post photos when I get the wheels detail finished.

Forcerecontrojan (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 03:54 PM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DunkM
Note: this solves the issue with the Euro part numbers with amber turns signals.
Hi everyone,

Edit. SOLVED
Alright,

For my big finale, the coding for EU market UJ taillights is actually surprisingly simple.

The first thing I had to realize is that there are two sets of mapping data. In other words, our cars are smart enough to output into two places with one input.

This led me to realize that the brake lights (vertical part of taillights) are coded as bfd_l and bfd_r.

Therefore, in order to code BFD for the US cars, and this should work to change BFD on pre LCI cars too.

One must enter BDC_Body and edit the FDL file.

Then you must enter 3068, and change
ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG from flaechenvergroesserung (expanded area) to bremslicht_blinkend (brake light flashing)

Then 3064 and change
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_L_OUTPUT from fra_h_l (back blinker) to bl_l (brake light?)
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_1_R_OUTPUT from fra_h_r to bl_r,
Note:this output does not make light occur anywhere on the LCI lights, may be different on the other lights.

The above will remove the error message that occurs when you just change expanded area to brake light flashing. However, as said above, it is not safe because the brake lights on the UJ taillights turn off completely.

Therefore, you must go into 3065 and change,

MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_L_OUTPUT from off to bfd_l (I can only assume brake force display)
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_R_OUTPUT from off to bfd_r

That pretty much covers what I did. I also confirmed that the output pwm functions matched between MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_2_L_OUTPUT and MAPPING_BREMSL_2_L_OUTPUT, as those are the regular brake output mapping data.

Finally, the additional thing I did was change
ESS_BLINKFREQ_1 and ESS_BLINKFREQ_2 from 3 hz to 5 hz, this changes the flashing frequency. I did this at the suggest of the BMW coding forums, because the increased frequency pretty much can only suggest warning. as it would be impossible to pump the brakes that fast.

Disclaimer: my car was already built with LED taillights. Therefore, if you plan on upgrading to the LED taillights from halogen, you may need change additional data.

Disclaimer 2: I'm not responsible if you somehow code something different from me and are rear ended or anything else. We are dealing with very important car functions, and it is possible to code out and turn off your brake lights completely, in fact I did at one point.

P.S. The issue that American part number people are having is probably related to the mapping output for brakelights, as the system is applying the brake signal to both.
P.S.S. My car currently does not turn on the hazards when hard braking and coming to a stop, will look into coding that this week.
FWIW, Brake Force Display is set to off from the factory on my 2019 F57 with UJ lights from the factory. Also, reading module 3068, ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG is set to nicht_aktiv from the factory.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:38 PM
Forcerecontrojan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SFMCS
My '15 MCS finally got the new LCI tail lights, US/UK. Okee, from CodeMyCar.com, programmed them after I checked the correct US functions at my local dealer. He charges a total of $180 (140 programming, 40 for the cable via priority mail) and will re-program at n/c. He drives a M3 so he has a clue and has been doing this for over 8 years. He hung in there during bad connections and solved it. Also did a lot of other functions. I have bimmercode which is alright but felt that, for my year/model I did not want to screw with it. Good guy, very conscientious and amiable. Would recommend him. Total cost (with shipping/programming) 386 + 180 =$566. Will post photos when I get the wheels detail finished.
Awesome. Look forward to the pics. because of your help I ordered my set and have a reply from the coder.

Was the install straightforward...I have a 2018 with LED's so the plug for the actual taillights are the same correct? I will just swap them and arrange the time for the coder to make them work properly. Thanks again

Old 06-14-2018, 02:44 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Install is simple-instructions on NAM manual FAQ's. Remove trim, pry outside trim first, three screws, remove inside access panel. Reach in and lightly push on one tab on lower side of light (look at position on new one). Support light and push plug tab and remove plug. Reverse on install.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:42 PM
one2three_us
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thank you all

Just wanna thank each one of you for the info. I finally got my US Spec UJ light coded properly.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:38 AM
Forcerecontrojan
2nd Gear
Thanks everyone, mine were coded yesterday- everything is awesome. Took 3 minutes to install, although the black trim on one side was finicky for some reason. Shout out to OK at Codemycar. Did a great job.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:48 AM
one2three_us
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Forcerecontrojan
Thanks everyone, mine were coded yesterday- everything is awesome. Took 3 minutes to install, although the black trim on one side was finicky for some reason. Shout out to OK at Codemycar. Did a great job.
removed the ring, loosen the 3 screws, push the light assembly outwards then secure those 3 screws again. That will take care the trim issue

Forcerecontrojan (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 12:10 PM
Forcerecontrojan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by one2three_us
removed the ring, loosen the 3 screws, push the light assembly outwards then secure those 3 screws again. That will take care the trim issue
I take it you had an issue as well? I played with it for awhile too...Frankly I dont even know how they clip on, I stared at it for awhile going that does not clip..nevermind

Old 07-09-2018, 02:41 PM
bowvmi2001
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by one2three_us
Just wanna thank each one of you for the info. I finally got my US Spec UJ light coded properly.

https://youtu.be/ezG8DLK0mog

I have a US car and I am looking to get the US Union Jack taillights. With all of the traffic on the forum it is a bit hard to figure out what folks did and if they have a US or UK car with the US or UK tail lights. Did you use Codemycar or did you code the car yourself? If you coded it your self, could you list what you did?

Old 07-11-2018, 04:19 PM
one2three_us
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bowvmi2001
I have a US car and I am looking to get the US Union Jack taillights. With all of the traffic on the forum it is a bit hard to figure out what folks did and if they have a US or UK car with the US or UK tail lights. Did you use Codemycar or did you code the car yourself? If you coded it your self, could you list what you did?
I did coded it myself. All I did was follow the original post. Not that hard at all. The only issue was re-install E-sys with VMware on my computer, since I cannot use E-sys on my native environment

I did compile a excel file for the what need to be changed

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
F56 CODING 2.xlsx (13.8 KB, 708 views)

Last edited by one2three_us; 07-13-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:39 AM
boki
3rd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by bowvmi2001
I coded the US spec UJ tail lights myself with OBD2 dongle and Bimmercode app - worked like a charm. Codemycar wanted $140 for what was 3 minutes of my time and $50 dongle/Bimmercode combo (that I used to change of bunch of other settings too and will be using for years to come).

Bimmercode app has the shortcuts for all the main functions now so you could turn off cold/warm checks and switch from bulb to LED for all the tail lights very easy and without the need to go to advanced mode. The only other thing I had to do on my US spec UJ lights is in the post #55 (BDC module and I think 3064 or 3065 or so where all the mapping settings are, can't remember the exact number but go to advanced mode and search, it's in there) and done. If you get the EU/UK spec UJ tail lights with the amber blinkers you don't have to do that step in the post #55 at all.

Thanks again Eastport_Mini, you saved the day!!!

Old 08-28-2018, 07:52 PM
MINIBee
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UJ tail lights on F56 with Halogen headlights?

Has anyone successfully installed the UJ tail lights on a F56 with Halogen headlights? Is the connector the same? I'm trying to get this done on a client's MINI (I'm a Motoring Advisor) and I'm finding lots of info about the MOD for MINIs that have LED headlights but very little about it working with Halogen headlights.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:05 AM
6FT6
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Not sure if the headlights being halogen would make a difference. I have led headlights but halogen tails and made the swap to US spec UJ without issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Union Jack Taillights