Powerflex Engine Support Bushing Install - North American Motoring

Go Back  North American Motoring > 3rd Generation MINIs > 3rd Gen FAQs
Powerflex Engine Support Bushing Install >

Powerflex Engine Support Bushing Install

3rd Gen FAQs 3rd Gen Common Questions & Answers!

Old 03-08-2018, 08:36 AM
Mini_Vinnie

I will try my best to remember the steps to replace this engine mount bushing. Its been a while

Overall, on a scale of 10 (10 being the hardest), Id rank the install a 4. Its a very simple install but could take you 5 minutes or 50. The stock bushing is stubborn to get out!

The purpose of the Powerflex engine support bushing is to help reduce the deflection the engine makes, especially when shifting. Basically, a stiffer bushing = crisper shifts ..... but the potential for increased cabin noise and vibration.

I detailed that here - Powerflex Bushing - Race vs. Sport Review

We are going after bushing #20 on the diagram:

Steps to replace the engine bushing:

- Raise Mini - I got all 4 wheels off the ground but you can easily get by with just the front up. Lift it pretty high because you are going to be around the middle of the car for the bushing

- Remove skid plate - Once you get it off, the bushing is really easy to get to. It's basically right behind the engine and will look something like this:

- Remove star bolt - I apologize but I cant remember the size of the head for the bolt. Once it unscrews, pull it completely out. (This picture is with the PF bushing in, but gives you an idea of the star bolt)

Now, the fun part, getting the stock bushing out..........

- Patience - Like I said, this part could take 5mins or 50. Now that the bolt is out, I pulled on the support and rotated it down then braced it with a screwdriver so I could get to the bushing. There are holes on the stock bushing so I put another screwdriver in the hole and literally started pulling.

The stock bushing is very flimsy so I was able to get it to pull through a little at a time but it is really in there. I tried WD-40, PB Blaster, and good old-fashioned muscle. Finally, after close to giving up hope, I got the stock bushing out! (Mine took about 30mins)

You arent going to reuse this bushing so basically, do what you need to do to get it out; heat, cut, pound etc...

- Installing New Bushing - After the devil made OEM bushing is out, the hard part is done! Installing the new bushing is simple. Grease the bushing with the supplied grease, insert one side with the silver sleeve, insert the other side and squeeze them together. The more grease, the easier it will be to install.

Run the star bolt through and tighten. Reinstall the skid plate, lower the Mini and drive!

DONE

Optional part - The new bushing comes with a black insert that will increase the stiffness so you can put it in or not. It will also add to the potential vibration though. I installed mine and didnt regret it.

Questions, let me know!

Last edited by Mini_Vinnie; 03-08-2018 at 09:22 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mini_Vinnie For This Useful Post:
aubcar (03-08-2018), CallMeRacerB (08-07-2018), Minibeagle (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 08:56 AM
vetsvette
Great writeup Vinnie!

The Following User Says Thank You to vetsvette For This Useful Post:
Mini_Vinnie (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 09:05 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Thanks we have installed many of them so we keep them in stock as they really make a nice improvement.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:21 PM
GPMini
2nd Gear
Nice! Got bushings in waiting for both our cars. Always good to have an idea of what to look forward to first. Thanks!

Old 03-09-2018, 05:50 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Originally Posted by GPMini View Post
Nice! Got bushings in waiting for both our cars. Always good to have an idea of what to look forward to first. Thanks!
You will be a master by the 2nd car

Old 07-28-2018, 09:06 AM
cmdycrzr
2nd Gear
Is it recommended to replace all bushings with polyurethane at the same time? I have an F56S with a torn engine mount and was thinking of replacing it with a polyurethane one rather than OEM...thoughts?

Old 07-29-2018, 04:43 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Originally Posted by cmdycrzr View Post
Is it recommended to replace all bushings with polyurethane at the same time? I have an F56S with a torn engine mount and was thinking of replacing it with a polyurethane one rather than OEM...thoughts?
If I was in your situation I would definitely use aftermarket ones. They will be a lot better than stock ones, and considering your stock one already ripped, it might be a good indication how flimsy stock parts are

Old 07-30-2018, 04:56 AM
Clutch Wotan
3rd Gear
the best about it, it takes 1o minutes.

I just changed to power flex back, its a difference, however you have accept some vibrations

Old 08-06-2018, 06:24 AM
spotted
1st Gear
I get the vibrations from installing this but has anyone been getting the shakes? I had my front wheels balanced thinking that was causing the shakes but it didn't stop the shakes. Next I'm going to get a front wheel alignment. I noticed these shakes since its been worse since it's been warmer out.
Just trying to pin point the problem. Been hearing to get your tires balanced, get a wheel alignment, get new front tires. Got the tires back in March of last year (2017). Was told the tires look brand new but they have at least 20K miles on them.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:10 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Originally Posted by spotted View Post
I get the vibrations from installing this but has anyone been getting the shakes? I had my front wheels balanced thinking that was causing the shakes but it didn't stop the shakes. Next I'm going to get a front wheel alignment. I noticed these shakes since its been worse since it's been warmer out.
Just trying to pin point the problem. Been hearing to get your tires balanced, get a wheel alignment, get new front tires. Got the tires back in March of last year (2017). Was told the tires look brand new but they have at least 20K miles on them.
Nope, no shakes by any means.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:23 PM
spotted
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie View Post
Cool. Just trying to pin-point where and what the problem is.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:27 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by cmdycrzr View Post
For sure if you tore the stock ones go with the powerflex so you don't have to worry about it again
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...g-f55-f56.html

Old 08-10-2018, 02:17 PM
nclorax
1st Gear
One other thing about Powerflex is they are a very responsive company. Sent a request for product decals to vendors of products I have on my car and within a day Powerflex responded and within a week I had the decals.

Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM
spotted
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie View Post
Found out what the shaking was. I had the green Slime from that flat tire repair system in the tire. It gooped all up and became hard causing an improper balance in the car.

Old Today, 05:49 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Originally Posted by spotted View Post
Found out what the shaking was. I had the green Slime from that flat tire repair system in the tire. It gooped all up and became hard causing an improper balance in the car.
Wow, crazy!