North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen FAQs (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/3rd-gen-faqs-447/)
-   -   Powerflex Engine Support Bushing Install (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/3rd-gen-faqs/324892-powerflex-engine-support-bushing-install.html)

Mini_Vinnie 03-08-2018 08:36 AM

Powerflex Engine Support Bushing Install

I will try my best to remember the steps to replace this engine mount bushing. Its been a while :)

Overall, on a scale of 10 (10 being the hardest), Id rank the install a 4. Its a very simple install but could take you 5 minutes or 50. The stock bushing is stubborn to get out!

The purpose of the Powerflex engine support bushing is to help reduce the deflection the engine makes, especially when shifting. Basically, a stiffer bushing = crisper shifts ..... but the potential for increased cabin noise and vibration.

I detailed that here - Powerflex Bushing - Race vs. Sport Review

We are going after bushing #20 on the diagram:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...d524c76571.jpg

Steps to replace the engine bushing:

- Raise Mini - I got all 4 wheels off the ground but you can easily get by with just the front up. Lift it pretty high because you are going to be around the middle of the car for the bushing

- Remove skid plate - Once you get it off, the bushing is really easy to get to. It's basically right behind the engine and will look something like this:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...ed31d0bc5e.png

- Remove star bolt - I apologize but I cant remember the size of the head for the bolt. Once it unscrews, pull it completely out. (This picture is with the PF bushing in, but gives you an idea of the star bolt)

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...9f40687163.jpg

Now, the fun part, getting the stock bushing out..........

- Patience - Like I said, this part could take 5mins or 50. Now that the bolt is out, I pulled on the support and rotated it down then braced it with a screwdriver so I could get to the bushing. There are holes on the stock bushing so I put another screwdriver in the hole and literally started pulling.

The stock bushing is very flimsy so I was able to get it to pull through a little at a time but it is really in there. I tried WD-40, PB Blaster, and good old-fashioned muscle. Finally, after close to giving up hope, I got the stock bushing out! (Mine took about 30mins)

You arent going to reuse this bushing so basically, do what you need to do to get it out; heat, cut, pound etc...

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...8df5dbaf85.jpg

- Installing New Bushing - After the devil made OEM bushing is out, the hard part is done! Installing the new bushing is simple. Grease the bushing with the supplied grease, insert one side with the silver sleeve, insert the other side and squeeze them together. The more grease, the easier it will be to install.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...ba4b4453e1.jpg

Run the star bolt through and tighten. Reinstall the skid plate, lower the Mini and drive!

DONE :thumbsup:

Optional part - The new bushing comes with a black insert that will increase the stiffness so you can put it in or not. It will also add to the potential vibration though. I installed mine and didnt regret it.

Questions, let me know!

:grin:

vetsvette 03-08-2018 08:56 AM

Great writeup Vinnie!

WayMotorWorks 03-08-2018 09:05 AM

Thanks we have installed many of them so we keep them in stock as they really make a nice improvement.

GPMini 03-08-2018 08:21 PM

Nice! Got bushings in waiting for both our cars. Always good to have an idea of what to look forward to first. Thanks!

Mini_Vinnie 03-09-2018 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by GPMini (Post 4373428)
Nice! Got bushings in waiting for both our cars. Always good to have an idea of what to look forward to first. Thanks!

You will be a master by the 2nd car :)

cmdycrzr 07-28-2018 09:06 AM

Is it recommended to replace all bushings with polyurethane at the same time? I have an F56S with a torn engine mount and was thinking of replacing it with a polyurethane one rather than OEM...thoughts?

Mini_Vinnie 07-29-2018 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by cmdycrzr (Post 4409551)
Is it recommended to replace all bushings with polyurethane at the same time? I have an F56S with a torn engine mount and was thinking of replacing it with a polyurethane one rather than OEM...thoughts?

If I was in your situation I would definitely use aftermarket ones. They will be a lot better than stock ones, and considering your stock one already ripped, it might be a good indication how flimsy stock parts are

Clutch Wotan 07-30-2018 04:56 AM

the best about it, it takes 1o minutes.

I just changed to power flex back, its a difference, however you have accept some vibrations

spotted 08-06-2018 06:24 AM

I get the vibrations from installing this but has anyone been getting the shakes? I had my front wheels balanced thinking that was causing the shakes but it didn't stop the shakes. Next I'm going to get a front wheel alignment. I noticed these shakes since its been worse since it's been warmer out.
Just trying to pin point the problem. Been hearing to get your tires balanced, get a wheel alignment, get new front tires. Got the tires back in March of last year (2017). Was told the tires look brand new but they have at least 20K miles on them.

Mini_Vinnie 08-07-2018 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by spotted (Post 4411735)
I get the vibrations from installing this but has anyone been getting the shakes? I had my front wheels balanced thinking that was causing the shakes but it didn't stop the shakes. Next I'm going to get a front wheel alignment. I noticed these shakes since its been worse since it's been warmer out.
Just trying to pin point the problem. Been hearing to get your tires balanced, get a wheel alignment, get new front tires. Got the tires back in March of last year (2017). Was told the tires look brand new but they have at least 20K miles on them.

Nope, no shakes by any means.

spotted 08-07-2018 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie (Post 4412032)

Cool. Just trying to pin-point where and what the problem is.

WayMotorWorks 08-08-2018 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by cmdycrzr (Post 4409551)

For sure if you tore the stock ones go with the powerflex so you don't have to worry about it again
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...g-f55-f56.html

nclorax 08-10-2018 02:17 PM

One other thing about Powerflex is they are a very responsive company. Sent a request for product decals to vendors of products I have on my car and within a day Powerflex responded and within a week I had the decals.

spotted 08-14-2018 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie (Post 4412032)

Found out what the shaking was. I had the green Slime from that flat tire repair system in the tire. It gooped all up and became hard causing an improper balance in the car.

Mini_Vinnie 08-15-2018 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by spotted (Post 4413851)
Found out what the shaking was. I had the green Slime from that flat tire repair system in the tire. It gooped all up and became hard causing an improper balance in the car.

Wow, crazy!

jpbpe 09-25-2018 12:13 PM

Thanks Vinnie for that Outstanding post on the bushing install. Might just do it today...jim

J_L 09-26-2018 10:35 AM

My short tips on this install...

Don't try to use a regular 6 or 12 sided socket on that star bolt. Get a star set, OR something like the crescent x6 socket set.

I got the OEM bushing out easily on a bench vise. Found some hard objects of the right size to support either side, and just squeezed... popped out pretty easily.

jpbpe 09-26-2018 01:48 PM

Thanks J_L I have a star set...I like the vise idea.

G26okie 05-16-2019 10:32 AM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone know the torque specs for the rear motor mount? Going to be installing the powerflex bushing soon.

Thanks.

Mini_Vinnie 05-16-2019 11:22 AM

I "think" it was 50ft lbs

ECSTuning 05-16-2019 11:40 AM

Just saw this, nice job Vinnie!

N0B0DY 05-16-2019 07:21 PM

74 LB FT or 100 NM

vetsvette 05-16-2019 08:53 PM

Crank on it 'til it strips, then back off a quarter turn...
No. Don't do that.

DunkM 02-16-2020 04:07 PM

Installed this today, all 3 bolts mounting the engine support are e16s, the nut doesn’t come off.

Also, pulling the whole thing out and using a gear puller to push out the bushing worked perfectly.

Warren2185 03-06-2020 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by DunkM (Post 4520229)
Installed this today, all 3 bolts mounting the engine support are e16s, the nut doesn’t come off. Also, pulling the whole thing out and using a gear puller to push out the bushing worked perfectly.

Glad I read your post before doing mine yesterday. I put my wrench on the nut and said..."Wait, this is the one that doesn't come off" so I moved on to the torx part. I also removed it entirely and used a gear puller too.

Vibration: For me, with the two black inserts, the vibration was too much. It only showed up as I decelerated to a stop. So I pulled them out and I feel zero additional vibration from factory.