1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New MINI

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 09:50 AM
elbum0
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New MINI

Hey everyone! First I'd like to say Thanks to all the informative people on this forum. I've been configuring a new MINI for the last several weeks, putting consideration into most every option, including some aftermarket options. Seems like most of my questions have already been asked and answered on this website, which helped a lot.

So here's my configuration, which will be ordered either today or on Friday... if anyone has any beef with any of these options, or if I'm overlooking something great, LET ME KNOW! I understand that I will still be able to make changes to the configuration online.
  • Astro Black body + roof (no bonnet stripes)
  • Packages: Premium, Sport, Cold Weather & Convenience
  • 17" Web-spokes
  • Black leatherette seats
  • Chrome Line Interior
  • Interior Surface Anthracite
  • basic sound system (I'll be replacing this with aftermaret sound... probably all JL with an Alpine HU)
  • Security system (I'm debating getting an aftermarket security system though)

I don't think I'll be driving it too insanely, but this will be my first sports car, so who knows (my vehicle history includes an old Volvo and a 4Runner).

Thanks for your input!
- Brandon

Old 11-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
My only comment would be to stick with the OEM alarm. You can get it for a cheaper price from Classic MINI in Ohio, and the install is pretty painless. The car is pre-wired for the alarm, so it's all plug and play. As a bonus, you don't have to deal with splicing into the wiring harness and deal with finger pointing if you have any electrical issues.

Enjoy the new car!

Old 11-16-2005, 10:33 AM
bmovierat
4th Gear
Nice MINI. You forgot to mention the most important option though: MINI Cooper or MINI Cooper S.

Either way, I'm sure it will be great. Now, the hard part: waiting. Congrats!

Old 11-16-2005, 10:42 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Hey yours sounds a lot like MINI IN BLACK! 2006 MC Astro Black Monotone, #2, #3, Xenons, Rear Fog lamp, black Leatherette, Anthracite, MFSW, OBC. I will probably add the factory alarm once MIB arrives at D&R. I also plan to chrome the interior over time. Is yours a MC or MCS?

I gotta share something with you, MINI's are not sports cars. By definition a Sports car MAY NOT have seating for more than 1 passenger besides the driver. Yes that takes the Big MAC out of sports car status. And the Purists will also say that a Sports Car must also be a convertable. A MINI is a sporty compact. But not a true pure sports car.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:31 AM
candiecat
2nd Gear
dude you're gonna LOVE it. I just got mine 2.5 weeks ago and still getting used to driving the manual, but LOVE it. it's so much fun.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:20 PM
CeridianMN
3rd Gear
I didn't notice LSD on your list. If you're wanting a sportier car you'll want it as it'll improve handling a lot, is not easily retrofitable, and isn't that expensive comparatively. It also makes the car safer. A big thing I have heard is that if you have to much fun without it the DSC kicks in a lot, but with it the DSC seems toned down to do it's job.

I don't have a good 1st person perspective though as mine is still a month or so away

Old 11-16-2005, 12:47 PM
elbum0
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bmovierat
Nice MINI. You forgot to mention the most important option though: MINI Cooper or MINI Cooper S.

Either way, I'm sure it will be great. Now, the hard part: waiting. Congrats!

Sorry! "Sketchers...It's the S"

Originally Posted by CeridianMN
I didn't notice LSD on your list. If you're wanting a sportier car you'll want it as it'll improve handling a lot, is not easily retrofitable, and isn't that expensive comparatively. It also makes the car safer. A big thing I have heard is that if you have to much fun without it the DSC kicks in a lot, but with it the DSC seems toned down to do it's job.

I don't have a good 1st person perspective though as mine is still a month or so away

I'm considering getting the LSD... the DSC seemed a lot more talked about than the LSD on here, thought maybe it was just for people who take their MINI to the tracks or something. I'll look into it more, maybe add it, who knows!

Old 11-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats - you already know you're going to LOVE it...

Donna

Old 11-16-2005, 12:53 PM
elbum0
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by candiecat
dude you're gonna LOVE it. I just got mine 2.5 weeks ago and still getting used to driving the manual, but LOVE it. it's so much fun.

Yeah I don't have much experience driving sticks, so I'm sure that will take a little getting used to.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:29 PM
novemberist
3rd Gear
I don't know if you're a completionist or not, but in order to complete the toggles on the console you would need rear fog lights. I added that to my order last minute since I'd hate to see empty spaces on the toggle set (or whatever that's called).

I regret not getting the Anthracite Headliner which makes the entire interior dark. I'm just mentioning this since you've listed the anthracite dash and black leatherette seats. Well I can't say I regret it yet since I haven't taken delivery of mine yet but a completely dark interior would have been nice.

Just my small humble opinion. Good luck with the wait!

Old 11-16-2005, 08:42 PM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
Originally Posted by novemberist
I don't know if you're a completionist or not, but in order to complete the toggles on the console you would need rear fog lights. I added that to my order last minute since I'd hate to see empty spaces on the toggle set (or whatever that's called).

I regret not getting the Anthracite Headliner which makes the entire interior dark. I'm just mentioning this since you've listed the anthracite dash and black leatherette seats. Well I can't say I regret it yet since I haven't taken delivery of mine yet but a completely dark interior would have been nice.

i second both! (well worth the $300!)

Old 11-16-2005, 09:19 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
I would also recommend the rear fog light so you get a full set of toggles(nice feature to help keep you visible in bad weather too). I would strongly recommend the LSD(I would have loved to have had that option when I ordered mine). I would also get the DSC as while. I would go with the OEM alarm from classic. Like the other guy said do the install yourself and save you self some money. It's easy to install and it will give you a chance to bond with your new car.:smile: Thats my recommendation.

The hardest part now is the wait.

Old 11-16-2005, 09:22 PM
JRZYMINI
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe consider the interior surfces silver... I think it looks nice.

many people say limited slip diff is worth the cost

Old 11-16-2005, 09:40 PM
DeuceBigelow
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by thefuturequeenofnebraska
i second both! (well worth the $300!)
I second that second...

Old 11-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Chicanery
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, just a thought that I'll throw into the mix. I think your combo would be very striking with the piano black dash and the English panther black leather seats. I know it adds some cost to the vehicle, but these options seem to be quite rare and would really make your car unique. (I especially like the stitching pattern on the English leather seats.) I'll echo everyone else's comments on the LSD, it's very expensive to add one later on. The part about the rear fog light completing the bank of toggle switches also makes the interior look better--like its not missing something. Anyway, just a few suggestions.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:46 AM
aDeLoreanGuy
4th Gear
I too would definitely recommend the OEM alarm. The keys to the MINI already have buttons on them for keyless entry. The alarm works off those buttons too. If you go aftermarket, you will add some weight and bulk to your keychain with the extra remote. Keep in mind the MINI already has a good anti-theft system built in. The alarm is to really protected the MINI from vandalism and theft of contents. If you're not worried about that, then don't bother. Finally, after you install the alarm yourself, you still need to activate it at the dealership. Make sure you find out about the costs to due that up front.

Otherwise, throw in the LSD (also good for wet and icy conditions) and you will have the time of your life!

Chris

Old 11-17-2005, 07:24 AM
Hartz
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
One more to pile on for the LSD.

I would also vote for the anthracite headliner. Looks are subjective, and the standard headliner does have its fans, but I think the darker colors add an elegance and tie in nicely with the dash and other pieces.

Oh - and the English Panther Leather is very very nice, but very very expensive. If you're trying to keep the cost down, you can probably skip this one. But if you've got some money to throw at it... it's nice!

Old 11-17-2005, 12:14 PM
elbum0
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by novemberist

You know, I didn't even think about the toggles! The car I test drove had a few toggles missing, and I remember it looked strange... I'll definitely add the rear fog lights.

When I was customizing the car online, I saw the Anthracite Headliner's picture and figured it was just for darker handles, I can't believe I didn't read the description. So, that's on too.

I've also added the LSD. The English Panther seats are a No... just for the fact that they are leather and won't last as long as leatherette.

Thanks guys, you've now costed me another $800! Only money, right?

Old 11-19-2005, 09:59 PM
elbum0
3rd Gear
It's On Order

I just uploaded an updated photo from MINIUSA of my MCS to the gallery: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...cat=500&page=1

I can't wait!!

Old 11-20-2005, 04:48 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Join the Astro Black Registery!

Old 11-20-2005, 09:07 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by elbum0
You know, I didn't even think about the toggles! The car I test drove had a few toggles missing, and I remember it looked strange... I'll definitely add the rear fog lights.

When I was customizing the car online, I saw the Anthracite Headliner's picture and figured it was just for darker handles, I can't believe I didn't read the description. So, that's on too.

I've also added the LSD. The English Panther seats are a No... just for the fact that they are leather and won't last as long as leatherette.

Thanks guys, you've now costed me another $800! Only money, right?
LSD, Anthracite and rear fog light all musts. You have done well grasshopper...

Leatherette is OK, but if you like leather, the English Panther Seats are awesome--higher quality, thicker and more durable leather; they also look fantastic, especially in an anthracite specced interior. They should hold up quite well. They are pricey though, and leatherette isn't a bad alternative.

Old 11-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Risu
6th Gear
Congratulations, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:04 AM
acitydweller
6th Gear
great package