1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weighing my options

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 11:37 AM
ustabawannab
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weighing my options

My lease for my 330xi is up in June. Since my mission this year is to upgrade my two wheeled form of transportation my better half suggested I cut down what I'm spending on my four wheeled mode.

It's down to two choices, both very different but equally compelling. It's a toss-up between the '05 Mustang GT 5sp Auto and an '05 MCS 6sp Auto. Both vehicles give me most of features I enjoy with my 330 for about $14K less.

The MCS was originally out of the running until the announcement of the new tip (selectronic in the BMW world) tranny. I have the 5 speed tip in my 330 and had driven the 6 speed tip in the '04 TT FWD. Both are great slushboxes. As for the new Mustang, though not as fancy or corner happy, it is freakin' fast - for under $30K.

I've lurked here and on the MINI2 site (too European) as well as a couple of Mustang forums. Lot's of good data to be had on Yo-Yo's (MCS) and whiny rear ends ('Stang). Between all the threads I read over here and over there I should be making the most informed decision I've ever made on an auto purchase.

Thanks in advance for all the advice and may the best ride win. Be it foreign or domestic.

Old 12-10-2004, 12:03 PM
scotteast
Old School!
Either car would be a great choice. I've been driving a MINI for more than two years now, and I've met so many people, driven some great roads, and generally had a good time. The handling is amazing and it's a car that is almost everyone appreciates. I like driving a car that makes people smile. :smile:

The new Mustang really impresses me. For the first time in almost ten years, the GT has a respectable amount of power (210hp from a V8? What were they thinking? ) and the styling is great. When I saw it at the auto show last year, I really wanted to get one.

I think it comes down to do you want to go fast around the curves or go even faster, but only in a straight line?

Old 12-10-2004, 12:04 PM
10851CS
Former Vendor
ustabawannab,

Welcome to NAM Another lurker roped in

I bought my LAST Ford back in 1990 (but others have bought their last Chev, Honda, Toyota or whatever and are now buying Fords) so that's just me.

You will find a lot of good info on this site.

Again, Welcome to NAM.

Earl

Old 12-10-2004, 12:29 PM
minimotorin
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM! The new Mustang does look nice but I think I get more smile by the mile in the MINI. If you have any questions just fire them off.

Old 12-10-2004, 12:32 PM
countrym
6th Gear
So what's your reasoning? Do you have a pro/con list for each? Have you driven both?

And why do you prefer the automatic?

Old 12-10-2004, 04:02 PM
GrumpyGills
1st Gear
Best for resale is Mini.

Old 12-13-2004, 12:55 PM
ustabawannab
Neutral
I apologize for posting then dropping out for a while. Had to go away for the weekend. Thanks for the welcome and the questions.

Here is how I got to this point. My current car, an '03 330xi retailed for 43K and some change. I love the performance, luxury comfort and to a lesser extent, the prestige associated with driving it. I drive city streets 90% of the time with infrequent trips to Chicago and Northern Wisconsin. I was out of motorcycling for awhile so my sole source of mobile entertainment was my car. Now that I have a bike, the car isn't as important. Still, when I have to drive, I want to have fun. My budget dictates that I buy something less that $32K, either new or used. I don't want to lease this time around because I will have to mod whatever I purchase to get the features I'm giving up going to a less expensive car. Rather than get into the whole manual vs auto discussion, let's just say my mind's made up - I prefer an auto.

The Mustang appeals to me because when I was a young'in I had owned a '68, a 65 1/2, a 66 and a '72. Except for the '72, they were in the condition equivelant to kid today in a primer gray Civic with a huge wing on the back and one of those big-assed mufflers hanging underneath. I LOVED them. My '72 Grande had style and class but was a boat compared to the 60's 'Stangs. When the Mustang IIs and then the FOX bodies came out the romance was gone. They were crap. Since then I've been driving practical foreign makes for the next 20 years. For the last 5 years I've been blasting around in a German A4 and a 330. (not because of male menopause - OK) The new Mustang looks like my old cars I drove way back when. It costs 30K loaded and goes like snot even with an automatic. Very exciting

The Mini appeals to me because the last couple I've test driven (manuals, BTW) give me all the amenities I've grown to enjoy with BMW/Audi build quality - also for 30K. Though not as fast as the Mustang by any strech of imagination it is a freakin' blast to drive (as long as you ditch those hard-assed runflats). Now with the automatic, it's got everying I need.

Cons...

Mustang
Ford Dealer salesman and service departments (I'll buy it online to avoid the first part)
No heated seats (have to go aftermarket)
Expensive winter wheel and tire packages

MCS
A little small. ( I have an SRX so I can live with that)
Rough ride due to the short wheelbase and runflats (can be fixed with a credit card and tire rack)

As for the point made about resale - ALL cars lose money, especially in Wisconsin.

Old 12-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Super Coop
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
My two pence:

If you are used to the all around "goodness" of the BMW, you will soon grow tired of the Mustang's ability to do not much more than go fast in a straight line. Let's face it: that and being cheap are its strengths. Once the "new" wears off those thing will depreciate like, well, a Ford. And for same 25K (sticker) for a base GT you can get a pretty darn nice MCS.

What kind of bike are you looking at? Me - British car, British bikes.