1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proud Owner of a new Rescue

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 07:29 AM
CasoR53S
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Proud Owner of a new Rescue

Hello All,
I have always been interested Mini's since i drove my buddies 1974 Right hand drive a few years back. Well, I am now the proud owner a of a new rescue. 2005 Cooper S with a 6 speed. She had been under a tree for rescue and was in desperate need of a bath. I have found there was a little work done to her. A WAIC intercooler, borla catback exhaust, wilwood calipers with slotted rotors. Looks to be updated springs but having just got her last night havent had a chance to get a good look. had 118k on the odometer. Seems to be taking care of fairly well and i am excited to be a Mini owner!

Side Note: How accurate is the Chrono pack Oil Pressure gauge? It seems to dip at idle when warm it is fine while moving, just at idle.

Thanks guys!

Also I will add pictures after i get her cleaned up a little.

Last edited by CasoR53S; 07-16-2019 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Addition
The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 07:49 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to the NAM family!
Congrats on your new to you Mini!
An 05 R53 is a great car and a kick to drive!
The chrono package is rarer and a must for me! The oil will drop to 5 on idle, which is normal. How accurate is is, is questionable at best! It should go up half way while driving, or at fast idle.
Show us some pics and we can tell you more about it.
R53's are the best street legal go-karts!

Old 07-16-2019, 08:17 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Congrats!

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-16-2019, 08:58 AM
CasoR53S
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Hi and welcome to the NAM family!
Congrats on your new to you Mini!
An 05 R53 is a great car and a kick to drive!
The chrono package is rarer and a must for me! The oil will drop to 5 on idle, which is normal. How accurate is is, is questionable at best! It should go up half way while driving, or at fast idle.
Show us some pics and we can tell you more about it.
R53's are the best street legal go-karts!
I will get some pictures this evening. I need to get her a good wash, i just rinsed off the dust and stuff last night and found out the passenger window doesn't seat correcty. (It dips but does not go up, i can push it up but it doesnt stay. I am pulling the door panel on my lunch break today and hoping it is just off track.)
She also needs the drivers side fender flare and the hood and hatch shocks. I am excited to get her up to snuff.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:52 PM
CasoR53S
1st Gear

And here she is after her bath. Going to take some better pictures when I get better light and location and after a headlight restore.

Edit: Also fixed the passenger window. There was a loose bracket on the window that didn't allow the window to go up. Got it tore apart and tightened. No more water on the seat when I wash it!

Last edited by CasoR53S; 07-16-2019 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Addition
The following 2 users liked this post by CasoR53S:
ECSTuning (07-17-2019), sbreech (07-18-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 07:52 PM
ItsmeWayne
It looks good! The chrono package makes it that much better!
I don't think I like the RENNtech badge, but that is a personal thing!
You will really have fun with this thing in the twisties!

Old 07-16-2019, 07:56 PM
CasoR53S
1st Gear
I am not a huge fan of them of them either. The price I got it for I'm not going to complain. I am going to try to get them off and hopefully not hurt the paint or dash.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:31 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
RENNtech badge , was it tuned by them?

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-17-2019, 08:17 PM
CasoR53S
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
RENNtech badge , was it tuned by them?
I honestly don't know. Is there anyway to find out?

Old 07-18-2019, 05:20 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by CasoR53S
I honestly don't know. Is there anyway to find out?
Ask them? They may have a record of it, either logged by the car's VIN or by name of the previous owner.

Regarding the oil pressure gauge, remember that the oil pump is mechanically driven by the engine. Oil pressure will vary by engine speed, and also by temperature. IMHO its main purpose is to tell you "hey boss, the oil done all fall out!" faster than the idiot light does. :-) That said when I had my R53 I liked seeing the gauge needle moving around. Reassuring, even if not super useful off the track.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:28 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yep call them and/or looks at the side of the ecu. Its pretty rare but they do have some custom tunes.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:47 AM
CasoR53S
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bratling
Ask them? They may have a record of it, either logged by the car's VIN or by name of the previous owner.

Regarding the oil pressure gauge, remember that the oil pump is mechanically driven by the engine. Oil pressure will vary by engine speed, and also by temperature. IMHO its main purpose is to tell you "hey boss, the oil done all fall out!" faster than the idiot light does. :-) That said when I had my R53 I liked seeing the gauge needle moving around. Reassuring, even if not super useful off the track.
It still makes me nervous. I have driven it some the past 3 days and every time i see that needle dip i have a small heart attack.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:22 AM
ItsmeWayne
Just remember this: Factory gauges are more of an indicator that something is working, but factory gauges are rarely accurate. The speedo is only close, the tach is only close, the temp gauge is only close, but so many people on this site seem to feel the oil pressure gauge is not good, because it is only close too! If it is moving around, it is "indicating" oil pressure, because it moves around, we should take comfort that oil is circulating and in my book, that is a good thing!
Note: If you are truly that paranoid, you should install an auxiliary oil pressure gauge. Be prepared to spend a lot to know the exact pressures, because those aftermarket oil gauges in general are only close too!
I just don't understand why so many are hung up on this!

Side note: The red idiot light for oil pressure on most cars come on way after the damage is already done. The gauge however inaccurate, shows the oil is moving! It does not matter that the pressure is read by the ecu.

I see six gauges moving. none all that accurate, but showing movement. I can live with that!

Old 07-18-2019, 10:07 AM
CasoR53S
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Just remember this: Factory gauges are more of an indicator that something is working, but factory gauges are rarely accurate. The speedo is only close, the tach is only close, the temp gauge is only close, but so many people on this site seem to feel the oil pressure gauge is not good, because it is only close too! If it is moving around, it is "indicating" oil pressure, because it moves around, we should take comfort that oil is circulating and in my book, that is a good thing!
Note: If you are truly that paranoid, you should install an auxiliary oil pressure gauge. Be prepared to spend a lot to know the exact pressures, because those aftermarket oil gauges in general are only close too!
I just don't understand why so many are hung up on this!

Side note: The red idiot light for oil pressure on most cars come on way after the damage is already done. The gauge however inaccurate, shows the oil is moving! It does not matter that the pressure is read by the ecu.

I see six gauges moving. none all that accurate, but showing movement. I can live with that!
I am getting used to it. Its just been beat into my brain by my dad since before i was 16 about oil and oil pressure. Its hard to overwrite that kind of indoctrination. Lol
I still love this car. A lot more than I thought i would. After my new floor jack gets here(I had a really heavy duty one that would not fit under the car) I plan on getting that exhaust leak fix and do the brake pads. I know it needs the CPS o ring as well but that may be for the next weekend.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:54 PM
CasoR53S
1st Gear
WOW. I just found the VIN decoder that someone posted and found out mine has the LSD too. Anyone want to help with some of these other options mean. Noticed it had the Auto A/C and the Cars A/C doesnt work at the moment, is it going to be harder to fix now?

Options

1CASelection Cop Relevant VehiclesSelektion Cop Relevanter Fahrzeuge

210Dynamic Stability Control (dsc)Dynamische Stab. Control (dsc)

249Multi-function For Steering WheelMultifunktion Fuer Lenkrad

2REL-all. W. Web Spoke/runflatLm R. Web Spoke, 2-teilig/notlauf.

2TALimited Slip DifferentialSperrdiferential

345Chrome Line InteriorChrome Line Interieur

381Roof In Body ColourDach In Wagenfarbe

403Glas Roof, ElectricGlasdach, Elektrisch

405Exterior Mirror Caps Chrome PlatedVerchromte Aussenspiegelkappen

429Interior Surface, AnthraciteInterieur-oberflaeche Anthrazit

450Height Adjustment F Front Passenger SeatBeifahrersitz Hoehenverstellung

473Armrest, FrontArmauflage Vorn

520FoglightsNebelscheinwerfer

522Xenon LightXenon-licht

534Automatic Air ConditioningKlimaautomatik

547Cockpit Chrono PackageCockpit Chrono Paket

550On-board ComputerBordcomputer

5AARear Fog LampNebelschlussleuchte

645Radio Control UsRadio-steuerung Us

650Cd PlayerCd-laufwerk

674Hifi Loudspeaker System Harman KardonHifi-system Harman/kardon

692Cd Changer I-bus PreparationCd Wechsler I-bus Vorbereitung

895Additional VentilatorZusatzluefter

8SPCop ControlCop Steuerung

925Shipping Protection PackageVersandschutzpaket

9AAExternal Skin ProtectionAussenhautschutz

Old 07-29-2019, 07:02 AM
CasoR53S
1st Gear
So I finally got underneath this thing saturday in search of my exhaust leak. Could not find the exhaust leak for the life of me. I am guessing it is in the flex between the header and the cat. It needs the Hydraulic motor mount on top. I did find out it has a pulley kit on it. It is going on a lift in this weekend and i will try to get some numbers off of the pulley.