1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello NAM! New R53 Owner Here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 09:19 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc08EX

Thanks a lot Troy @Oldboy Speedwell !

So based on the pictures, what options/extras do I have? From my short time researching, seems like I have the premium package (per your suggestion), quicksilver package, sport seats, leather and sport suspension. That's it right? No BT, heated seats, fog lights (was hoping for this), xenons,...
Yep, I think you've got it covered as far as from-the-factory options, now the fun really begins when you start adding your own handpicked options!

The amount of available mods for these cars is pretty incredible and a very wide range of stuff is out there --- even more stuff was around a decade ago but much of it was from fly-by-night companies capitalizing on the popularity of the platform and thankfully most of those less-than-ideal parts aren't around anymore with only the tried&true quality stuff sticking around, so we're in a good spot!

The price range for mods ranges the whole scale, from absolutely free to $$$!!!

These cars are super fun in stock form, but with a few tasteful mods they become SUPERDUPER FUN!

Old 06-19-2019, 09:34 AM
Marc08EX
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell
Yep, I think you've got it covered as far as from-the-factory options, now the fun really begins when you start adding your own handpicked options!

The amount of available mods for these cars is pretty incredible and a very wide range of stuff is out there --- even more stuff was around a decade ago but much of it was from fly-by-night companies capitalizing on the popularity of the platform and thankfully most of those less-than-ideal parts aren't around anymore with only the tried&true quality stuff sticking around, so we're in a good spot!

The price range for mods ranges the whole scale, from absolutely free to $$$!!!

These cars are super fun in stock form, but with a few tasteful mods they become SUPERDUPER FUN!
What mods would you suggest to make it "SUPERDUPER FUN"? @Oldboy Speedwell

I was only thinking about putting on an intake, exhaust, 17" wheels and the JCW black grills up front.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:44 AM
jr_R52
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
What mods would you suggest to make it "SUPERDUPER FUN"? @Oldboy Speedwell

I was only thinking about putting on an intake, exhaust, 17" wheels and the JCW black grills up front.
Didn't read the entire post so maybe it was already mention but the first mod (imo) should be an undersized supercharger pulley. Most will go for a 15% reduction and that is a very good power increase.

The following users liked this post:
Marc08EX (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 11:53 AM
Marc08EX
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jr_R52
Didn't read the entire post so maybe it was already mention but the first mod (imo) should be an undersized supercharger pulley. Most will go for a 15% reduction and that is a very good power increase.
Thanks for the recommendation @jr_R52 !

I’ve read so many people doing the pulley mod. Would the lightened pulley cause any unnecessary or accelerate wear on the engine? Or would it cause any reliability issues?

Old 06-19-2019, 12:03 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation @jr_R52 !

I’ve read so many people doing the pulley mod. Would the lightened pulley cause any unnecessary or accelerate wear on the engine? Or would it cause any reliability issues?
No and yes! Normal driving would not change anything as to reliability, but beating the snot out of it daily, will like any car, "eat" away at the longevity.
The JCW has the same supercharger, with a very small pulley. I would put one on, to have a bit more performance! You only work the engine, when you are getting on it. They can take it, as that is what they are designed for! (I would also go for the 380 injectors (about $100 each) and the JCW tune)

Marc08EX (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 12:05 PM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts
The 15% pulley is totally safe, and has a long track record on these motors. You’ll need a new belt to go with it, slightly smaller size. Next common mod is a rear sway bar. Balances out the handling in corners and reduces the inherent understeer. Both are good bang for the buck. After that, options are endless. Wheels, tires, brakes, intake, exhaust, suspension, tune, etc.

Though you definitely want to do maintenance and repairs first. All fluids for sure, along with engine air filter and cabin filter. These cars have common failures and those should be checked. Power steering lines leak, oil leaks, strut towers, lower control arm bushings, it’s a long list too.

Marc08EX (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 12:16 PM
jr_R52
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
15% reduction is a very reliable mod. If memory serves me right JCW has the equivalent of 13% smaller. I have been running a 17% pulley for about 10k km with no issues although I did have to put in larger injectors but your stock mcs injectors should be fine with a 15%.

Other than the sc turning faster the water pump will also turn faster as it is driven from the same shaft.

Marc08EX (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 12:45 PM
Marc08EX
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
No and yes! Normal driving would not change anything as to reliability, but beating the snot out of it daily, will like any car, "eat" away at the longevity.
The JCW has the same supercharger, with a very small pulley. I would put one on, to have a bit more performance! You only work the engine, when you are getting on it. They can take it, as that is what they are designed for! (I would also go for the 380 injectors (about $100 each) and the JCW tune)
If the JCW has a smaller pulley on it then it makes me feel safer to do this mod then!

What are the stock MCS injectors? How drastic of a change will fuel consumption be if you switch to 380cc injectors?

Originally Posted by JackMac
The 15% pulley is totally safe, and has a long track record on these motors. You’ll need a new belt to go with it, slightly smaller size. Next common mod is a rear sway bar. Balances out the handling in corners and reduces the inherent understeer. Both are good bang for the buck. After that, options are endless. Wheels, tires, brakes, intake, exhaust, suspension, tune, etc.

Though you definitely want to do maintenance and repairs first. All fluids for sure, along with engine air filter and cabin filter. These cars have common failures and those should be checked. Power steering lines leak, oil leaks, strut towers, lower control arm bushings, it’s a long list too.
Thank you so much for all these suggestions @JackMac ! Much appreciated. I'll do the supercharger pulley and the RSB as my first mods then. I'm planning to do a complete fluid change. Will check on the other items you suggested as well.

Originally Posted by jr_R52
15% reduction is a very reliable mod. If memory serves me right JCW has the equivalent of 13% smaller. I have been running a 17% pulley for about 10k km with no issues although I did have to put in larger injectors but your stock mcs injectors should be fine with a 15%.

Other than the sc turning faster the water pump will also turn faster as it is driven from the same shaft.
Thank you so much for your suggestions and input @jr_R52 !

Will the water pump turning faster affect its longevity? Or does the cooling benefits far outweigh the wear it receives?

Old 06-19-2019, 12:51 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Quote: What are the stock MCS injectors? How drastic of a change will fuel consumption be if you switch to 380cc injectors? :End quote
I get between 28.5 to 30.5 MPG and I am not known for going slow, or treating my cars like cream puffs! On the other hand, I live in the country and not many traffic lights or stop and go driving.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:04 PM
Marc08EX
2nd Gear
Here are some pictures of my second R53 - a JCW!

Oldboy Speedwell (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 07:16 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts

SUPER SWEET!

JCW in liquid yellow with body color roof?

Too cool.

Complete with aero kit too!

Looks like a slicktop also?

Congrats!

Marc08EX (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 10:00 AM
Marc08EX
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell

SUPER SWEET!

JCW in liquid yellow with body color roof?

Too cool.

Complete with aero kit too!

Looks like a slicktop also?

Congrats!
Thanks a lot @Oldboy Speedwell ! So you don’t think the yellow is too much or too girly? That was my only concern when I got this car lol!

Yup it’s a slicktop too. Is that good?