North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   1st Gear (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/1st-gear-114/)
-   -   2015 F56 S - New Toy? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/1st-gear/339435-2015-f56-s-new-toy.html)

spazzyfry123 06-02-2019 09:43 AM

2015 F56 S - New Toy?

Hey all! I've been on here for years, but always lurking and searching in the background. I came on here back with my R53S.

I picked up my F56S 6MT back in December to use as an A to B car. As life happens, I've now found myself relocated with a new job that includes a company car. Ultimately, I don't need the F56 anymore and have considered selling it in favor of something a bit more dedicated like another E9x M3 or something. I've since discovered that the market is pretty soft for these cars with the offers I've gotten way below KBB and a lot of no-shows. At the offers I've gotten, I think it's time to keep it and turn it into a toy! It's a nicely optioned, low mileage car that's a hoot around town. How many use these as auto-cross weapons? I figure with a short wheelbase, FWD car, this thing should be a blast knocking over some cones. I've been into road racing for a while with both casual HPDE cars and dedicated track cars, but unfortunately my access to tracks requires about four hours in any direction since my move. I'm used to just running up the street to Road Atlanta or AMP!

I've spent hours here on the forums and can't really figure out how these cars tick. I see people doing piggy back ECU changes, ECU remaps, double ECU remaps (I think...?) for quick power increases. I'm getting lost in the "stage" nomenclature and honestly overwhelmed with it all. I know the go to response is "search!", but I am sucked down the rabbit hole and don't even know what to search for at this point. I never intended to do anything to this car and use it strictly as a daily driver. Now here I am fantasizing about a little track rat go kart.

What's an ideal path for a fun car that will be aimed towards some AutoX action and a quick romp around town to blow off some steam? The only thing I've done to the car is slapped on some Michelin PSS tires. I'd like to get a good jump in power, but I don't want to make it obnoxiously loud. Retain some street drive-ability and not go full gutted car (at least not yet haha). This will just be for occasional fun and I don't think I'll be chasing points in a series for now.
  1. I've had my eye on Mario's remote ECU reflash and possibly a new downpipe and AWE Tuning intake. Will probably keep the rest of the exhaust stock (good idea?) simply because I think it sounds great as is. Would this be a decent place to start for a jump in power to have some "new fun" with the car? The piggyback systems seem odd to me in that the communication between it and the ECU seems like a battle. I clearly don't understand how it works, so should I consider a quick plug and go system or stay with what I am used to and go with an ECU reflash?
  2. I'd like to lower it, but not go bonkers with a full cup suspension - is it advisable to leave in the OEM dampers (28k miles) and just go with some lowering springs and a decent rear sway bar for now? I hear good things about NM.
  3. I'll probably get a set of wheel spacers for the OEM wheels for the street and a dedicated wheel/tire setup for AutoX / occasional track use. It'd be great to drive the car to the event on the street setup and stow the track setup + tools in the car. Is it worth it to take out the rear seats? Is there a rear seat delete kit that keeps an OEM look? I'd like it to reduce a little more weight and hopefully open up some better storage options. I am imagining something that would have the same volume as it is now with the seats folded, but additional storage (and less weight) where the seats would lay.
  4. I don't think I want to dive into a crazy brake system, but rather improve the stock with fluid, pads, and maybe some steel lines. Has anyone had good luck with this route or is a JCW changeover just the way to go?
  5. What are some good shifter options? The height and position are great, but I just don't like the action and would love a more mechanical and direct feel.
  6. Has anyone changed out the steering wheel? The plastic feel of it isn't confidence-inspiring.

What am I missing? I feel this is a decent place to start to satisfy my need to tinker on something while improving some performance. It seems these things have some serious potential and would love to have some fun with something entirely new to me (FWD)!

Thanks for the discussion,
Tyler

Minnie.the.Moocher 06-02-2019 10:12 AM

You say you don't know what to search for, yet your list of six things is pretty well defined, better than most posters I'd say. I won't tell you to search, but I don't have a lot of answers.

I upgraded my pads to EBC reds and new rotors, although I didn't need to do anything at this point. Braking is improved but I don't push the car that hard. I have the Dinan Elite piggyback and it has way more power than I need at any given time. If I really get on it from start up, the rear wheels lose grip and it sucks. Steering wheel is fine for me, don't understand why people change them out. Wife has the flat bottom wheel in her GTI, I'm not a fan. I'd consider lowering it if I had a trustworthy mechanic to do it for me. I'm sick of being bled to death by the dealer and most of the local indy shops are similarly priced, if not more expensive on a lot of mods.

Good luck.

Mini_Vinnie 06-02-2019 06:41 PM

I did pretty much all the mods you are asking about. Check them out on my site and let me know if you have any questions - https://myredmini.com/

spazzyfry123 06-03-2019 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher (Post 4473384)
You say you don't know what to search for, yet your list of six things is pretty well defined, better than most posters I'd say. I won't tell you to search, but I don't have a lot of answers.

I upgraded my pads to EBC reds and new rotors, although I didn't need to do anything at this point. Braking is improved but I don't push the car that hard. I have the Dinan Elite piggyback and it has way more power than I need at any given time. If I really get on it from start up, the rear wheels lose grip and it sucks. Steering wheel is fine for me, don't understand why people change them out. Wife has the flat bottom wheel in her GTI, I'm not a fan. I'd consider lowering it if I had a trustworthy mechanic to do it for me. I'm sick of being bled to death by the dealer and most of the local indy shops are similarly priced, if not more expensive on a lot of mods.

Good luck.

Thanks! What do you mean by the rear wheels losing grip? Really the only reason I want a different steering wheel is for a different material. The OEM wheel's shape is about fine, but the texture is just not right.

Also, not sure why this got moved from the 3rd Gen Modifications forum. I did an introduction on here back in December.

spazzyfry123 06-03-2019 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie (Post 4473473)
I did pretty much all the mods you are asking about. Check them out on my site and let me know if you have any questions - https://myredmini.com/

Looks great!

That steering wheel looks to be just about what I'm after. Is it a core system in that you need to ship them your original wheel? Do they wrap over the original or how does it work? I think I'd be fine with my standard wheel's shape, but with full nappa. I don't want to increase the cross section diameter much, if at all, however.

What is the Forge short throw shifter that you have on your site? It looks like it purely reduces the travel length? I'm mainly after a more precise feel with a slight reduction in throw. I'm thinking that a "normal" short throw kit with bushing will get me where I want to be. Did the engine mount help with that drastically, too? I do like the CravenSpeed shift well cover, but I don't like that it removes the driving mode selector.

At what point would an upgraded intercooler be needed?

How is the Eventuri over a "standard" CAI intake system? I've had my eye on the AWE Tuning; is yours a much better design for the money? I agree that I find it silly the air scoop is not functional, but it seems like a lot of coin.

What was your biggest reason for going with the full coilover system over a lowering spring setup?

How was exhaust volume with the catless downpipe but with OEM rear section? I think I'd like to keep the mid pipe and rear section OEM, but change over to a catless downpipe. Any CEL?

Odd question, but how did you get amber lenses on your headlights for your turn signals? I have LED lights and mine are clear. I'd love to change that over to amber - would look good with Moonwalk.