North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   1st Gear (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/1st-gear-114/)
-   -   Introducing me and my R50 Project MINI (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/1st-gear/339251-introducing-me-and-my-r50-project-mini.html)

Blue R50 05-25-2019 07:59 PM

Introducing me and my R50 Project MINI

Interior shot
I was looking for an interesting daily driver since I left the world of pizza delivery and decided to buy a MINI. I bought it in fairly decent shape, but pre-broken for $1900. It's a 2005 Cooper with a 5 speed in hyper blue with white wheels, mirror caps and roof (the color combo sold me the car), sunroof, sport seats, leather interior (Cordoba beige- is the leather Corinthian?), Chrono pack and the chrome accent package. It came with the window sticker and about $4k in receipts for recent work. It has 83,000 miles, less than my 2015 Toyota (which just turned 100,000), and WAY less than my 1 owner 1998 Nissan Frontier (408,000). What's wrong with it, you ask? I bought it needing a clutch, later found a noise in the transmission that caused me to tear it down, then found a broken strut mount, bad bumps stops, a power window issue, one bad tire with a torn inner sidewall, a radio volume knob that is intermittent and one blown speaker. Fortunately, it is a native Florida car that now resides not far from where it was sold new, so it has no rust and is very clean underneath. I am currently trying to diagnose a noise in my freshly built transmission and have it torn down on my workbench, which is why I signed up. However, that will be posted about in a more appropriate location.

As for me, I am a general purpose tinkerer and can fix most anything. I have built several cars in my past and this is my third transmission build in a year,(the other two being an AMC Torqueflite 904 and a Nissan FS5W71-C). I even built my vacuum cleaner! I like small cars, manual transmissions, 2 door hatchbacks and my cars tend to be either blue or white, so the MINI was a natural fit. Now if I could only figure out that transmission...

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...fa2de55f12.jpg https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...3dfaee955b.jpg
My 2005 Mini Cooper in Hyper Blue

ItsmeWayne 05-26-2019 08:47 AM

Hi and welcome to NAM!
Congrats on finding a rare R50 with chrono package car.
The trans whine may be the diff gears are worn out (from abuse). (only way I can think, with the low miles on the car. Switching to an 05/06 6 speed may end your woes and give you another gear to shift!
Did you replace the throw out bearing?
It is a great color (I am not biased).
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...c6666be2bb.jpg
06 MCS JCW ... my daily
I hope you can get the trans sorted or replaced, so you can drive these fun little go-karts!
There is a ton of information in the gen 1 section, to keep your Mini going!

Blue R50 05-26-2019 10:46 AM

I did a complete rebuild of the transmission with all new bearings and seals and a new idler gear for reverse as well as a complete Valeo clutch kit with new throwout bearing and the sleeve that it slides on. I used Redline MTL fluid in it, if that matters. Removing the new idler gear removes the issue and I did a very long post on the issues and what I have done in the technical section of the 1st gen forum (whatever it is called). Will the Getrag 6 speed bolt in place of the Getrag 5 speed without changing anything else? I have come across them for less than $200 at the U Pull It and wondered how hard it is to swap it.

ItsmeWayne 05-26-2019 12:24 PM

Yes the Getrag 6 speed will go in. Make sure to get the levers and cables for the 6 speed. I am not sure they are different, so don't take the chance.
The MTL is the correct fluid and will make the trans shift smoother.
$200 is a great price for the 6 speed! And you will like it better!

WayMotorWorks 05-26-2019 02:41 PM

You have found the common R50 failure issue. We have been replacing these failed 5 speeds for years with the S 6spd as they can handle so much more and don't fail like the 5spd. It will physically bolt in but you will need other things like a clutch and flywheel kit from the S, starter, mount, shift cables, and axles. then swap the end clutch line to the S.

We carry all these parts in stock as this is a common swap for us and really makes the car so much better.

Also make sure you get a 6spd from an 05-06 as the ratios are better than the earlier 02-04.

Blue R50 05-26-2019 09:02 PM

Honestly, if I need that many parts then I will find a way to keep the Getrag 5 speed. It would not be cost effective to buy all those parts, especially the R53 flywheel and clutch setup. At the most, I would be willing to spend $400 for everything to do the conversion and I take it that it would not be realistic to expect to spend that little. If I could keep my current new clutch and flywheel as well as the axles, then I would consider it.

ItsmeWayne 05-26-2019 10:14 PM

You can most likely get those parts, where you get the transmission and then just put in a new disc.
It is a cost effective way and the 5 speed is not nearly as robust!
Hope ya get it figured out, as your Mini is rare and a keeper!
You can also most likely get the JCW tune for your Justa.

shrevemini 05-29-2019 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Blue R50 (Post 4472106)
Honestly, if I need that many parts then I will find a way to keep the Getrag 5 speed. It would not be cost effective to buy all those parts, especially the R53 flywheel and clutch setup. At the most, I would be willing to spend $400 for everything to do the conversion and I take it that it would not be realistic to expect to spend that little. If I could keep my current new clutch and flywheel as well as the axles, then I would consider it.

Hey that looks like the mini that was for sale here in Panama city.

Blue R50 05-30-2019 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by shrevemini (Post 4472655)
Hey that looks like the mini that was for sale here in Panama city.

I bought it in February from a couple here in the Port Richey area, which is just north of Tampa/St.Pete by around 20 miles. They bought it from someone in the St. Pete area about a year ago. It's been dead in my driveway ever since! (I hope to finally get to drive it this weekend.)