1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi Honey I’m Home..... hmmm Auto Trans..

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 07:33 AM
Keith Turk
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Honey I’m Home..... hmmm Auto Trans..

Hey Guys

I’m Keith Turk, generally a fair mechanic and land speed racer but ... I’m affected by a Grandson Named Kristian .... he’s 16 and I bought him a clapped out 04 standard model... with an Broke Auto trans.... HE TOOK HIS DRIVERS TEST with a stick... the kid was floored when he found out it was a freaking Automatic,

I’ve studied it to death and tore the trans to bits and little bits. I’ve built a couple of special tools to get the clutch pistons out and to install the axle seals.... it’s been interesting.

I’m waiting on the rebuild kit right now... I’m not planning on replacing the belt or Variators as the reason it was junk was the input bearing failed causing a loss of fluid and a subsequent failure of a clutch pack.

My question is does anyone have an old program to do a transmission adaptation for the early Mini’s only? I’m honestly thinking this won’t be the last one I see...

Thanks in advance

Keith

Old 05-24-2019, 09:00 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
I hope this is what you need:
Clutch Adaptation

Follow now the Instructionscarefully to get a reliable clutch adaptation.
Apply the emergency brakes also keep your food on the brakes and start the cold engine at increased idle speed perform the following:.

From the park position shift to the "N" position for 10 sec. then shift in the "D" position for 10 sec. then shift back to the "P" position.

Repeat the step 10 times !

From the park position shift to the "N" position for 10 sec. then shift to the "R" position for 10 sec. then shift back to the "P" position

Now at the warmer engine and normal Idle speed and still with your feet on the brake perform the following steps :

From the park position shift to the "N" position for 3 sec. then shift in the "D" position for 3 sec. then shift back to the "P" position.

From the park position shift to the "N" position for 3 sec. then shift to the "R" position for 3 sec. then shift back to the "P" position

XP is still displayed in the instrument panel.
Now you have performed the clutch adaptation and the ratio adaptation or relearning mode can now be performed.

Step-up ratio adaptation

To perform the re-learning process or driving adaptation everybody calls it a different name but it is all the same, drive the car on a level road where nobody batters you and excelerate to about 55 m/per hour in D mode, and then lift your food of the throttle. Let the car decelerate do not use any brakes, the adaptation will occur.
If the vehicle speed drops to far before the adaptation process is complete, the engine speed will drop back to Idle and the Instrument cluster will continue to display the "X" character and the transmission will still not operate normally. If this happen, simply repeat the hole process by accelerating back to 55 mph and lift of the throttle again to give the software a chance of learning the remaining points.
When the procedure is complete, the display will return to normal "D"
If the adaptation procedure is complete, the car fine tunes it self, reset the lifetime strategies and the control system works perfect again.

The set point,
if you have done everything as I explained to you and the car still won't perform perfectly, analyze exactly what is what the car is doing ?

If you suspect the stepper motor is to be faulty the following procedure you can follow to test:

Turn the Ignition off for 5 minutes to power the control units down. Unplug the connector from the GIU and using a multi-meter measure phase coils across pin 5 & 6 and then 7 & 8. The reading should be between 18-30 Ohms.

• When a reading cannot be obtained, try reading the phase coils on the transmission connections by probing the connection directly on the transmission.

• When readings can not be obtained at the transmission, the motor is assumed to be faulty.

(this was taken from internet)
I hope you have success!

Last edited by ItsmeWayne; 05-24-2019 at 09:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Keith Turk (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 01:45 PM
Keith Turk
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When does the XP actually show up on the speedometer?

and Thanks..if this doesn't require a computer link, it's exactly what I was looking for.

K

Old 05-24-2019, 07:52 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith Turk
When does the XP actually show up on the speedometer?

and Thanks..if this doesn't require a computer link, it's exactly what I was looking for.

K
It should come up after starting the new adaption. It shows right were the tachometer show the drive gear and it will just show XP for adaption in park.