North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   1st Gear (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/1st-gear-114/)
-   -   Call me "ignorant" and that's okay... (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/1st-gear/337032-call-me-ignorant-and-thats-okay.html)

Beemerchef 03-17-2019 10:05 AM

Call me "ignorant" and that's okay...

New here on this Forum. Hello to you all...
This will be my third MINI. The first one was actually in France where I lived for 35 years, a 1966 Austin Cooper SS. Here, it will be my second JCW, the first one being a 2016. The new one is a 2017 with 17,500 miles on it. I sold the 16 not too long ago as we have many Mountain rds here starting in Alamogordo, NM, and jail was going to be my next home! Luckily the cops don't have the right to make U turns on the many roads being too narrow but they did wait for me on top of the hill... I promised them I would sell it which I did while the Dealer offered me $2000 more than what I had paid for. It seems that two doors JCW are hard to come by. The new one will have the better sound system and automatic which I have to considering two new hips and spine surgery... Heads up display included [which I really like] and 18" wheels and more... Just wish the exterior mirrors were not red [the car is black with red roof] but I am not ready to pay $90 each for black covers! If one of you has a better price search, please send me a link. I would appreciate it.

I guess I am addicted to the car and hopefully jail will not be my next home!!! I do use a radar detector... which helps. Being 70, when will this happen if not now! I always said they have white JCWs in Heaven and red ones in Hell but I am not too sure... :confused:

So, here is my question as obviously I have not found an answer. Is the 2017 2 door JCW a 3rd generation F56? Is it what they call it?

Thanks...

vetsvette 03-17-2019 10:10 AM

Yep. 3rd Gen F56. And, welcome to the forum.

Beemerchef 03-17-2019 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by vetsvette (Post 4457006)
Yep. 3rd Gen F56. And, welcome to the forum.

Thank You much...

pjsjr13 03-17-2019 01:01 PM

Welcome . If the Red mirrors stand out , try vinyl wrapping them. Lots of DiY's on You Tube.

Beemerchef 03-17-2019 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by pjsjr13 (Post 4457027)
Welcome . If the Red mirrors stand out , try vinyl wrapping them. Lots of DiY's on You Tube.

That is a great idea. I would actually also then do the red roof. Since I doubt they would match the black perfectly, probably a nice gray I think will look good and tone everything down.
The black with thin red stripes decals on the hood will also need to go! Hopefully being a 2017 year it will not leave a shadow. If it does maybe the same gray will work.
Thanks for the thought...

Ara

miniCPA 03-18-2019 09:54 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Another possibility for the red is plasti-dip. It should work well for the mirror caps, however, the roof may be too large for an even coat. Plasti-dip is fairly cheap and you can undo and redo at a whim.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

By the way, what are you going to say if you run into the same cop. I have only been pulled over twice in 20 years. Unfortunately it was the same cop. He was not happy when he came back to the car and said "We have met before - in fact it was only a month ago!" I agreed with him when he said that I have a problem, however, neither of us elaborated what that problem was.

Minnie.the.Moocher 03-18-2019 10:20 AM

Vinyl wrapping MINI mirror covers strikes fear into the hearts of vinyl installers everywhere. I've had them wrapped several times and they always do it two piece even though I point them to video's showing a guy doing it as a one piece job. I tried it myself and was 90% done before it tore. If you use the right material and get the heat at the right temperature it probably will work.

Another thought is trading the red ones for black. Probably find some takers for that trade.

Beemerchef 03-18-2019 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by miniCPA (Post 4457257)
Welcome to the forum.

Another possibility for the red is plasti-dip. It should work well for the mirror caps, however, the roof may be too large for an even coat. Plasti-dip is fairly cheap and you can undo and redo at a whim.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

By the way, what are you going to say if you run into the same cop. I have only been pulled over twice in 20 years. Unfortunately it was the same cop. He was not happy when he came back to the car and said "We have met before - in fact it was only a month ago!" I agreed with him when he said that I have a problem, however, neither of us elaborated what that problem was.

Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher (Post 4457269)
Vinyl wrapping MINI mirror covers strikes fear into the hearts of vinyl installers everywhere. I've had them wrapped several times and they always do it two piece even though I point them to video's showing a guy doing it as a one piece job. I tried it myself and was 90% done before it tore. If you use the right material and get the heat at the right temperature it probably will work.

Another thought is trading the red ones for black. Probably find some takers for that trade.

After all these aspects as I also watched plasti-dip methods I think, and thanks for the thought, trying to trade will be the best!... or, just start liking the red!!!

The cops? Well, up to Cloudcroft I will have to follow the speed limit pretty close even though they do not have the right to make a U turn. There are many other roads where there are never any cops patrolling. I did with my Jeep Renegade Trailhawk get pulled over once, that actually was a day I had forgot my wallet [!!!] but he was nice enough to let this confused old man go!!! Since I sold the previous 2016 JCW and finding the Trailhawk really sluggish especially being 9 speed auto I have had some modifications installed such as the Go-Pedal [fuel chip], the Auto-Flash [transmission chip] and a full quad tip Italian Ragazon exhaust since the Trailhawk is actually a Fiat... It does now fly with a nice growl. I guess I am reverting to childhood again!

Thank You

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...b9f3e8df3c.jpg

ECSTuning 03-18-2019 12:35 PM

Welcome, Yep curved pieces are really hard to get perfect but you can get close with a heat gun and such. You could always buy new ones or find someone who wants the other colors and swap them for it/.

Dan_in_WA 03-22-2019 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Beemerchef (Post 4457005)
I always said they have white JCWs in Heaven and red ones in Hell but I am not too sure... :confused:

All Mini's go to heaven, old Ford Tempos on the other hand...

njaremka 03-23-2019 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dan_in_WA (Post 4458321)

LOL :lol:

my my first car was a Red Ford Tempo! Where is THAT car now?!

miniCPA 03-23-2019 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by njaremka (Post 4458341)
... My my first car was a Red Ford Tempo! Where is THAT car now?!

Have you checked the Ford Tempo Forum?

pjsjr13 03-23-2019 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by minicpa (Post 4458348)
have you checked the ford tempo forum?

hahahahaha

Beemerchef 03-23-2019 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dan_in_WA (Post 4458321)

That's funny!!! I hope the Jeeps Renegade Trailhawks also go to Heaven!!!

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...480873090d.jpg

ItsmeWayne 03-27-2019 04:13 AM

Hi and welcome to NAM, Beemerchef!
We are glad you found us!

Beemerchef 03-27-2019 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne (Post 4459339)
Hi and welcome to NAM, Beemerchef!
We are glad you found us!

Thank You Wayne... What a nice Welcome...

I find this Forum populated with pleasant and level headed members which is refreshing unlike too many "screen warriors" playing on other fields!

CosmicBlue15 04-18-2019 05:22 AM

I took off red stripes on a black 2015 Mini S in 2017 and did not have a shadow from the stripes after removal.

Beemerchef 04-18-2019 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicBlue15 (Post 4464222)
I took off red stripes on a black 2015 Mini S in 2017 and did not have a shadow from the stripes after removal.

How? Warm "hot air gun" to loosen? [as to not burn the paint...]