North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   1st Gear (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/1st-gear-114/)
-   -   soon to be new owner (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/1st-gear/336962-soon-to-be-new-owner.html)

ohhhh_schmidt 03-14-2019 12:19 PM

soon to be new owner

Hi all...joining this site to do some research ahead of purchase. I just moved into a house with a short side in the garage that I need something as short or shorter than something like a Honda Fit, so now I have a great excuse to get into a car I've always been curious about but never pulled the trigger on.

Shopping for a 2nd gen S hatch...am about ready to buy an '08 with 99k miles but admittedly getting nervous about the N14 vs N18 issue. It's a good deal so I suppose I'll still go for it as long as it checks out to have had the proper maintenance.

miniCPA 03-15-2019 06:44 AM

Welcome to the forum. Best excuse I have heard to date to buy a MINI. Don't wait too long, from my experience, that short side of the garage can get filled up quickly unless you have a plan and stick to it.

Post some pictures when you get it.

ECSTuning 03-15-2019 09:25 AM

Just shop the 2011+ Cooper S models and you will be fine if you are worried. If its been taken care of and the thermostat, water pump, and timing chain have been done then it should be fine.

Kcyotz 03-15-2019 09:25 AM

When I was looking at getting an MCS I read a bunch and asked around on here. I ended up going for a 2013 just because of all the N14 issues plus starting out with higher HP anyway.

I'm sure it's possible to get an N14 car and not sink $4-5k into it due to inherent issues. But, I was concerned enough to simply avoid that known problem. However, If I were to find one in perfect shape with lower mileage for about $3k then that might be cheap enough to be worth sinking more money into it. Each person has to make that call for themselves. I would just suggest doing the research and then do the math to see if it is worth it to you.

ohhhh_schmidt 03-15-2019 10:14 AM

Yeah this one I'm looking at is $2k+ less than any of the comparable N18s in the area, it's had the timing chain recall and appears to have the replacement valve cover, and I'm not intimidated at DIYing the walnut blast, so I think I've talked myself into going for it as long as it turns out to be as clean as it appears in the online ad.

Kcyotz 03-15-2019 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ohhhh_schmidt (Post 4456680)
Yeah this one I'm looking at is $2k+ less than any of the comparable N18s in the area, it's had the timing chain recall and appears to have the replacement valve cover, and I'm not intimidated at DIYing the walnut blast, so I think I've talked myself into going for it as long as it turns out to be as clean as it appears in the online ad.

I think I saw on one of the vendor sites an attachment used for the walnut blasting process. I think it was about $100 or so. Probably a good investment for diy. Sounds like the high pressure fuel pump and vacuum pump are good things to replace. Along with thermostat and housing.

All good things to use when negotiating.

ohhhh_schmidt 04-01-2019 01:40 PM

Well I went for it. My 3 year old calls it the "race car" (on account of the stripes) and is already showing signs of boost addiction.