North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   1st Gear (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/1st-gear-114/)
-   -   Hello from Portland, OR (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/1st-gear/335961-hello-from-portland-or.html)

limey222 02-12-2019 08:00 AM

Hello from Portland, OR

Another new Mini owner here, my wife and I just purchased our used 2012 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 last weekend. She has 56,000 miles on her and a nice clean Carfax report with lots of past service notations. Also a new clutch at 50,000. I retire in three months and this will be our main car, we also have two "vintage" Mazda Miata's, mine is a pampered "M-edition" in beautiful condition. I owned a Mini Cooper S in the UK when I was young...sigh.

WayMotorWorks 02-12-2019 09:04 AM

Welcome:)

Gotta love the older Miatas as they were great and reliable cars.

limey222 02-12-2019 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks (Post 4449858)
Welcome:)

Gotta love the older Miatas as they were great and reliable cars.

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, the original Miata was it's purest design......a simple, lightweight, two seater sports car, easy to work on and akin to the MGB, Lotus Elan, Sunbeam Alpine and others. The modern ones have become something radically different and are no longer any different than their high priced competition. I was pleased to see that ones in excellent condition, in particular the M-Edition, are now going up in value according to Hagerty.

Minnie.the.Moocher 02-12-2019 12:13 PM

Welcome aboard!

from Portland - west side

Aabaco_R53 02-12-2019 12:29 PM

Welcome aboard. I used to live in rockaway beach and work in Tigard. I miss Portland. Especially the lunch trucks.

Eddie07S 02-12-2019 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by limey222 (Post 4449862)
Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, the original Miata was it's purest design......a simple, lightweight, two seater sports car, easy to work on and akin to the MGB, Lotus Elan, Sunbeam Alpine and others. The modern ones have become something radically different and are no longer any different than their high priced competition. I was pleased to see that ones in excellent condition, in particular the M-Edition, are now going up in value according to Hagerty.

Welcome “back” to the wonderful world of MINI Coopers!

And congrats on the upcoming retirement. :thumbsup:

The Miatas are a wonderful compliment to the MINI or vice versa. However, I would add that I see the original Miata as a perfect clone of the Fiat 124 Spyder, with the addition of an IRS. Having owned one and an MGA, and driven MGBs, I can say the Fiat was head and shoulders above those two cars. I was surprised when the Miata first came out, that someone was willing to carry on the tradition of that car after its production stopped. But, as you said “a simple, lightweight, 2 seater sports car...” and a blast to drive!

Here’s to enjoying all 3 cars...

limey222 02-12-2019 01:02 PM

The big problem with Fiat's was that not many over here knew how to drive them. People were too in tune with low revving, hi torque cars, when a Fiat was driven that way it quickly carbons up, they needed to BREATH!

Eddie07S 02-13-2019 08:14 AM

Absolutely! And Singer Sewing machine smooth all the way up to its 6500 red line (and beyond if not paying attention). My MG was like an out of balance washing machine on a spin cycle in comparison. That was something that really impressed me when we test drove the ‘04; that is, how smooth the engine was. Rust was the downfall of the Fiat in the NE here. I passed on trying to restore my ‘72 Fiat in favor of a Cooper S. I miss the soft top, but not hat much... :wink:

ItsmeWayne 02-17-2019 02:25 PM

Hi and welcome to NAM!
Enjoy your time with the Mini!