1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greetings from Colorful Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 08:40 AM
MWMWMWM
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Greetings from Colorful Colorado

Last week I picked up two Mini Coopers. I guess because I'm bored and these are small and looked fun to tinker with.

Mini # 1 is a Chili Red 08 Cooper S with 88k miles. I paid 2200 delivered from a used car dealership that tried to repair it and gave up. It is reported to have a new clutch and pressure plate but jumped timing. I now believe they may have installed the pressure plate backwards. Still unsure. The timing guides were only partially there so they were due regardless.

Day 1 Mini #1

Day 2. Crank still tight. Head looks OK.

So I had been watching another add on Craigslist ....... 2007 Cooper S Similar circumstances, New clutch / flywheel @ 75k miles and at 82k miles and is reported to have timing chain or possible valve issues. Since I'm a glutton for punishment and .... why not..... I toe the second one home for $ 2000

Day 3. Mini #2

Let the fun begin !

Old 02-09-2019, 01:10 PM
SandNsun
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome and keep us posted on the progress!

Old 02-09-2019, 10:06 PM
MWMWMWM
2nd Gear
I decided to dig into Red first. It had an odd story behind it. The dealer I purchased it from had put in a new clutch and then said the timing jumped. Employee who installed the clutch got fired. The motor was froze so I pulled the front end and head but the motor was still froze. Head looks good. I decided to drop the subframe and motor / tranny to get to the bottom of it. Everything went pretty well until I tried separating the motor from the tranny. I spent about an hour and a half , wrestling, trying to separate the motor from the tranny and it feels as if it is hooked somehow on the fingers of the clutch.
I have it about an inch and a half apart all the way around and it is not coming apart. I'll have to find some type of separation tool tomorrow because every pry bar I own would't get the job done.

On the up side, the motor is not froze and It was an improper clutch install all along. I ordered a head gasket kit and a timing chain set tonight. After I get the clutch sorted and everything cleaned up, parts should be here around the 20th and I can start reassembling. I'm keeping track of costs and it looks like this one should be under 2700 fully sorted. New front and rear seals, clutch, belt, timing chain set and all odds and ends. Good thing I work for free. I'll take my time putting it back together and make damn sure I get all the torques correct.

I need a lift! ​​​​​​​

Old 02-10-2019, 06:15 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM.
The Gen 2's have issues, so make sure you look in the gen 2 area!
You are a LUSH for Punishment!
Get one going, so you know why people buy these and drive the wheels off of them!

Old 02-11-2019, 10:46 PM
MWMWMWM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Hi and welcome to NAM.
The Gen 2's have issues, so make sure you look in the gen 2 area!
You are a LUSH for Punishment!
Get one going, so you know why people buy these and drive the wheels off of them!

You have no idea on the Lush for punishment ........ I hurt in places I didn't know could hurt and still went to look at a third mini this morning. Light blue... Thats when I was educated about direct injection and the problem that entails. Walnut blasting on the list.
I decide to go home and finish the worst of the job for lil Red. Cleaning

It should get better from here.
I'm in parts ordering mode while my body heals.
I'm glad I never got around to painting the garage floor.

gunk...... soaking

cleaned subframe fits nicely on the creeper so I could slide it under the car.

Doesn't look like much but a much nicer work environment with all the grime now gone.

discovered a bent wheel.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:33 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Welcome it looks like you are knee deep in projects now.

Hope we can help with any parts you need. Make sure when they do the machine work on the head you get new valve guides and valve stem seals as this will prevent oil use from them as it's pretty common issue.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more