1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Howdy From Southern Mississippi!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 06:19 AM
oldironsights
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Howdy From Southern Mississippi!

I am an amused owner of a late 2006 MCS with the six speed stick & heated vinyl seats & self washing headlamps.
Car is black with a glass roof. It replaces the SAAB 9-5 that I previously used for commuting.
I swore I would never own a vehicle without power seats, but this car is just too much fun to drive, so I made an exception.
Just as much fun on my wonderful backroads as a motorcycle.
Car will be used in rotation with my VW Passat & FJR1300 for cross state commuting duty during the week & fun drives on days too hot or two wet for two wheels.
MCS will be a pleasure to park in the parking garage where I work due to its small size.
I just hope it can survive the bad streets of the city where I work. Potholes & sinking streets can swallow such a small car or seriously damage the engine oil pan.
I have seen shattered aluminum oil pans & long spills of oil on the streets there.
Hoping I can find some spring kits to elevate the car another inch.
Really like these 1st gen cars. This will be my 2nd BMW product. Back in the 80's I had an R100CS.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:57 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Welcome to the forum and MINI ownership. We would appreciate seeing pictures of your new MINI.

Interesting that someone who rides motorcycles would have a requirement for power seats or even notice that the car has heated seats. I think I am on my fourth car with heated seats and the only times they were on was once when I was bored on a long highway drive or when the switch was hit accidentally (I couldn't figure what was wrong and the car was only considered after numerous health issues were contemplated).

Consider getting rid of the Run-Flat tires if they are still on the MINI and purchasing Strut Tower Defenders to protect the MINI from the pot holes. Smaller wheels are also better for pothole survival.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:25 PM
oldironsights
Neutral
Thank you for the welcome.
I love power seats since I hurt my back & had a painful recovery from gut surgery a few years back.
I had to stop driving my Jeep because of the pain & could only drive my truck which has power seats that allow me to change position safely on long trips.
I traded my Jeep for a VW with power seats & then bought a SAAB 9-5 to put in rotation as a commuter car. It also had power seats.
The MINI replaced the SAAB. I have recovered from the pain & have recently ended my physical therapy & can now tolerate manual seats & motorcycling once again.
I will take pics when the sunshine returns & my camera is charged.
I replaced the P-zero run-flat summer tires with the Goodyear Eagle all seasons that were on my SAAB.
They are oversize for the MINI. 235/45-17 so the rears rub on bumps.
These offer better traction now that temps have fallen into the 40's today. Heated seats warm me faster than the engine on cold mornings so I admire such features.
I have read where summer compound tires will crack & chunks will break off in lower temps.
This car sure is fun & looks to be easier to work on than any Scandinavian car that I have owned once it has been put into front end service mode.
The only drawback with the MINI is it lacks the capacity to haul my rifles & ammo cans, so I use my trucks for that duty.
Before I perform any performance or appearance mods to the MINI, I first need to bring it up to a "zero" state of maintenance.
I intend to do this as funds become available after each payday.

Last edited by oldironsights; 11-13-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:17 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Congrats and Welcome. Hope we can help you with what you need as you'll find the MINI a great car.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-14-2018, 05:52 AM
oldironsights
Neutral
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Congrats and Welcome. Hope we can help you with what you need as you'll find the MINI a great car.
Thank you. You already have helped by stocking & shipping the antenna & base that were broken when I took possession of the MINI.
Replacement was simple & easy.

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 06:47 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to the NAM family, oldironsights!
Congrats on scoring the best gen 1 MCS.
I am a motor cycle guy and a long time sports car owner and these Mini's are the most fun to drive. A go-kart, if you will, for the street!1
Lots of fun times to come!
There is a metal engine shield you can get to cover the pan.
Post up some pics of your Mini, when you get a chance!

Old 11-14-2018, 07:17 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by oldironsights
Thank you. You already have helped by stocking & shipping the antenna & base that were broken when I took possession of the MINI.
Replacement was simple & easy.
Glad we could quickly help.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more