1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member — 2013 R58 Coupe S (Stage 2?) (need some help)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 05:37 AM
r58MINI
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New Member — 2013 R58 Coupe S (Stage 2?) (need some help)

Hey all,

Just recently joined —a few weeks ago I bought a used 2013 R58 as a commuter car, from a used car dealer here in CT.

Ive been pretty well versed in the car scene since I was in high school, where my first car was an ‘08 WRX that I later, over the years, turned into a 360whp beast with a built motor. It was a fun car, but as you know, a heavily modified daily driver isn’t practical. Later in its life it had some issues, and I wanted something that I could do more with (avid outdoorsman) and eventually bought a ‘13 Ram 2500, when I was in the Army. Now that the truck is paid off, I was looking for something again that was fun to drive, and better for my roughly 36 mile daily commute to work in my new civilian job. My wife has always loved minis, and I wanted to teach her stick. I’ve always been impressed with their go kart handling, but was initially looking for something domestic with an NA V8.

Fast forward, and I test drive this used ‘13 MCS coupe PFC her wishes, and ended up buying it a few days later. I’m usually hesitant to buy modified cars, but I noticed the car was on KW coilovers, and I researched the rest of the mods when I got home.

Everything looked good, and it only had 50k miles, so for an asking price of $10,900 before taxes seemed right. Since the previous owner had KWs, i figured he/she must’ve been an adult since those and the rest of the mods were quality parts, and likely took care of the car. From my research, it seems to be stage 2 (I know the different stages vary between minis and Subarus, so bare with me.

From what I can tell:
- KW coilovers (not sure which model)
- stock turbo
- K&N intake
- stock diverted valve
- NM Eng intercooler piping
- NM full exhaust (except up-pipe to turbo)
- ATM front mount intercooler
- some kind of lower engine mount large yellow bushing (from what I can see without a lift)

The car must be tuned — pulls nice and hard for a mini, and with the suspension upgrades it’s a blast to drive. I fell in love with the car, and now I see why people buy them. (Now I don’t even want to teach my wife to drive stick on it! &#128514

note: not sure what type of engine management, or who tuned it. Keep in mind, the dealer didnt even know the car wasn’t stock — sales people there are idiots.

With that said, the only issues i’m having right now is that it keeps throwing a P0171 code for fuel system lean bank 1. I tried searching and didn’t see any areas where there would un-metered air getting in. All hose clamps were tight and secure in intake tract.

A guy i work with says sometimes it could be a seasonal thing at some gas stations. Since I got the car, I have run about 2 tanks of 93 thru it with one of them including fuel injector cleaner. At first I though maybe it was throwing the code because the dealer personnel are morons and i’m sure they were running 87 octane thru it.

With that said, any advice would be great. I’m not new to cars and performance modifications, and i’m relatively mechanically inclined, but i’m 100% new to owning a mini.

Also, another small but annoying issue i’m having, is that I get what seems to be a slight oil burning smell in the cabin when the windows are closed and the air is on (noticeable on rainy commutes). It drives me nuts. I haven’t really seen any oil leaks where it would be burning off on the engine, but I also haven’t had a chance to get it up on a lift. The exhaust also has a funny smell (and I know that performance exhaust usually do, but I think it’s slightly different than what should be normal). I’m wondering if that could also be because the car is trimming hard for fueling, as I got readings of short term fuel trim at 25% and long term fuel trim at 27%.

As I said, the car runs runs well and pulls hard. Idle is the tiniest bit rough, but nothing that a normal person would even really realize. but again, it’s not stock. My scanner also says the O2 sensors are working fine.

Overall, the car is great, but i’m going nuts trying to figure out these two little issues. Any help from some Mini Gurus would definitely be appreciated.

Attached are are pictures of the car, and a recent scan for some fields of data monitoring. For a scanner I use the BlueDriver Bluetooth scanner with the app. Great buy, for $99 on amazon, and it’s pretty in depth.

- Mike

Old 11-07-2018, 05:38 AM
r58MINI
Neutral
Originally Posted by r58MINI
Hey all,

Just recently joined —a few weeks ago I bought a used 2013 R58 as a commuter car, from a used car dealer here in CT.

Ive been pretty well versed in the car scene since I was in high school, where my first car was an ‘08 WRX that I later, over the years, turned into a 360whp beast with a built motor. It was a fun car, but as you know, a heavily modified daily driver isn’t practical. Later in its life it had some issues, and I wanted something that I could do more with (avid outdoorsman) and eventually bought a ‘13 Ram 2500, when I was in the Army. Now that the truck is paid off, I was looking for something again that was fun to drive, and better for my roughly 36 mile daily commute to work in my new civilian job. My wife has always loved minis, and I wanted to teach her stick. I’ve always been impressed with their go kart handling, but was initially looking for something domestic with an NA V8.

Fast forward, and I test drive this used ‘13 MCS coupe PFC her wishes, and ended up buying it a few days later. I’m usually hesitant to buy modified cars, but I noticed the car was on KW coilovers, and I researched the rest of the mods when I got home.

Everything looked good, and it only had 50k miles, so for an asking price of $10,900 before taxes seemed right. Since the previous owner had KWs, i figured he/she must’ve been an adult since those and the rest of the mods were quality parts, and likely took care of the car. From my research, it seems to be stage 2 (I know the different stages vary between minis and Subarus, so bare with me.

From what I can tell:
- KW coilovers (not sure which model)
- stock turbo
- K&N intake
- stock diverted valve
- NM Eng intercooler piping
- NM full exhaust (except up-pipe to turbo)
- ATM front mount intercooler
- some kind of lower engine mount large yellow bushing (from what I can see without a lift)

The car must be tuned — pulls nice and hard for a mini, and with the suspension upgrades it’s a blast to drive. I fell in love with the car, and now I see why people buy them. (Now I don’t even want to teach my wife to drive stick on it! &#128514

note: not sure what type of engine management, or who tuned it. Keep in mind, the dealer didnt even know the car wasn’t stock — sales people there are idiots.

With that said, the only issues i’m having right now is that it keeps throwing a P0171 code for fuel system lean bank 1. I tried searching and didn’t see any areas where there would un-metered air getting in. All hose clamps were tight and secure in intake tract.

A guy i work with says sometimes it could be a seasonal thing at some gas stations. Since I got the car, I have run about 2 tanks of 93 thru it with one of them including fuel injector cleaner. At first I though maybe it was throwing the code because the dealer personnel are morons and i’m sure they were running 87 octane thru it.

With that said, any advice would be great. I’m not new to cars and performance modifications, and i’m relatively mechanically inclined, but i’m 100% new to owning a mini.

Also, another small but annoying issue i’m having, is that I get what seems to be a slight oil burning smell in the cabin when the windows are closed and the air is on (noticeable on rainy commutes). It drives me nuts. I haven’t really seen any oil leaks where it would be burning off on the engine, but I also haven’t had a chance to get it up on a lift. The exhaust also has a funny smell (and I know that performance exhaust usually do, but I think it’s slightly different than what should be normal). I’m wondering if that could also be because the car is trimming hard for fueling, as I got readings of short term fuel trim at 25% and long term fuel trim at 27%.

As I said, the car runs runs well and pulls hard. Idle is the tiniest bit rough, but nothing that a normal person would even really realize. but again, it’s not stock. My scanner also says the O2 sensors are working fine.

Overall, the car is great, but i’m going nuts trying to figure out these two little issues. Any help from some Mini Gurus would definitely be appreciated.

Attached are are pictures of the car, and a recent scan for some fields of data monitoring. For a scanner I use the BlueDriver Bluetooth scanner with the app. Great buy, for $99 on amazon, and it’s pretty in depth.

- Mike

Old 11-07-2018, 07:30 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Welcome, nice r58. For the code did you check out this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-bank-1-a.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-07-2018, 07:59 AM
r58MINI
Neutral
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Welcome, nice r58. For the code did you check out this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-bank-1-a.html
thabks for the reply! I had been searching but I guess I need to get better with the site. I’ll definitely take a look.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 12:11 PM
r58MINI
Neutral
Originally Posted by r58MINI

thabks for the reply! I had been searching but I guess I need to get better with the site. I’ll definitely take a look.
looked it over, and another thread that someone suggested in that thread to the original poster. Seemed like the right direction but wasn’t the info I was looking for unfortunately.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:18 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
If it was a piggyback module for the tune I would check that, if it's really tuned by the ECU flash then its possible the tune itself. Sometimes they throw a CEL if they are aggressive.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-08-2018, 09:18 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM!
Great looking Mini!

Old 11-09-2018, 09:34 AM
Mini Chris
2nd Gear
Welcome to Mini and NAM! This place is chock full of knowledge folks. To find an R58 with those mods for that price? jackpot!! Be forewarned, if you teach your wife to drive stick in the R58, you might have to find another (my wife loves ours and I have often find myself in the passenger seat). Maybe you could use it as an excuse to pick up a R59...

Regarding the specifics of your tune, there a couple of guys who may be able to help you sort out its details.
Mario
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ew-thread.html

Tigger
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ly-member.html

They might be able to help you brainstorm the other issues as well.

Also, you should be able to get a better idea of what has been done tune wise by checking the spark plugs. If they’re stock, most likely you’re at Stage 1 (someone correct this if it’s wrong). My understanding is anything greater reqires colder plugs.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:31 AM
grunte
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome. I read through your post and I can't really add much except about what you stated here:

"some kind of lower engine mount large yellow bushing (from what I can see without a lift)"

I believe that this is the lower engine mount. The yellow bushing is made of a harder material then stock preventing engine rotation during exceleration - in theory transferring quicker power to the tires. I just bought mine from Waymotorworks but have not installed it yet on my R55. Link ---> https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...unt-large.html