1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie here, need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 10:18 AM
coach74
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Newbie here, need advice.

Hello all. I'm not a MINI owner yet. I have my eye on 2 right now. I just moved to California from Missouri and sold my Honda Element and 1991 BMW 5 series. I debated for a month on what type of car to get. I was stuck on a Toyota Tacoma truck because well, everyone here drives them. Then I looked at the Toyota FJ Cruiser because its odd and can tackle anything thrown at it. But, after really thinking about the COST of owning those and cost of living in my new state I decided small and economical for a few years. Gas here is over $3.60 and I plan on exploring up and down the coast. I do want to visit Tahoe in the winter to learn how to ski and the desert to explore but I figure I can ride with someone with a 4x4. So I have considered the MINI. What worries me is the issues I've read about with a Mini. Everyone I've talked to have to told me to avoid them like a plague because of the cost of repairs. Still the brand intrigues me. Any advice from longtime owners. Here are the two I'm eyeing:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd...668668941.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/ctd...651101262.html

Old 08-15-2018, 10:48 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Hey there, asking that question here will definitely get you some biased answers, lol. Those are both good looking cars. The first one has a warranty, that’s what I would go for. But it’s really all about you. Regardless of what people tell them, most folks will end up buying with their heart and not make the rational choice. That is why I have a MINI lol. Test drive as many as you can, to get a feel for the cars, then you can vibe on the ones you want. If you get accustomed to a few, you will be able to notice easier if something is not right. As far as cost.... we’ll any car can need repair work, and if you do your research, you won’t e caught off gaurd. There are some issues, for sure, but nothing else can deliver the same driving experience as a MINI will. You have to just have to decide if you are ok with the risks vs reward

The following users liked this post:
coach74 (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 12:04 PM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
If you intend to buy a BMW product, it'd be wise to limit your search to those which have a warranty. That is, unless you're both comfortable with, and willing to, wrench on your own car.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:36 PM
downshift1
4th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Do use caution with the term warranty, that green one has less than 600 miles left on the factory 3/36 and that's dependent on the in service date. I would take the VIN to a Mini dealer and get clarification on just how much is left.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:18 PM
coach74
1st Gear
Originally Posted by downshift1
Do use caution with the term warranty, that green one has less than 600 miles left on the factory 3/36 and that's dependent on the in service date. I would take the VIN to a Mini dealer and get clarification on just how much is left.
How did you tell how much warranty is left on a Mini from the ad?

Old 08-15-2018, 01:30 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I agree with all of those that replied about a Warranty.
However, it comes down to do you trust the car you buy.
I have a Honda, Toyota and a Mini.
I trust the Honda and the Toyota, the Mini not near as much as the first two.
Look at consumers reports before you buy anything.

coach74 (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 01:34 PM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by coach74
How did you tell how much warranty is left on a Mini from the ad?
You will find when you become one, MINI people are incredibly smart. (just kidding)

To your original question: Buy a MINI if you love the way it drives and have to have that every day.

MINIs are great to drive on the back winding roads. They drive like go-carts in that they turn quickly and you feel far more connected to the car and the road than you would in any other mas-marketed car. Think of the difference between the way you would expect a mini-van to drive as compared to either of your two prior vehicles. The difference between your current vehicles and the MINI will be about the same factor.

If that is what you are looking for, the trade-off in extra maintenance, bumpy ride, small size, quirky features and so on will be well worth it.

If you value the creature comforts over a fun drive and you would never consider getting off the highway to take the long way home, stick with something else.

The Mazda 3 would be an alternative if you are looking for more reliability and are willing to give up some of the fun. A Honda Civic would be an alternative if you are willing to give up all of the fun for a cheap trouble free commute long-term and you just want a car to get there.

coach74 (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 05:33 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM!
Either one is ok, buy what you want, as that is the only rational answer!
If you are buying for fun driving, the 2 door will be the one. If you have family, the 4 door is the most practical!

coach74 (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 12:32 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forum

coach74 (08-16-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 10:52 AM
LenrdZelig
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Purchasing any car is going to have risk. And a used car even moreso. And furthermore with Coopers (from what I've read and been told by owners I know) that repair costs can be more than a run-of-the-mill car.

Having just gone through what you're now considering, I'll tell you what brought me to my conclusion.

I happened to chance upon the used car for sale online one night. I wasn't specifically even looking for cars, it just caught my eye. The dealer's initial asking price seemed reasonable as well. a 2014 Cooper S Convertible for $16900, and had just over 44,000 miles on it.

I didn't need another car (My 10 Scion xB is a workhorse and have no intention of getting rid of that ride anytime soon). But I wanted a "summer" car where I could take the top down and just tool around.

I asked two people I know who own Minis what their experience was and they both loved them, and one plans to make their next purchase a Mini, but cautioned me that there is a higher price on mat.

I then went to the dealer unannounced and found the car in their backlot and took a couple of pictures. It was in their "pre-detailed" lot that was technically off-limits, but in the interest of research I forged ahead. And the car looked damn near new.

Scheduled a test drive the next day, and the dealer informed me that it had not yet been detailed, but once I sat inside the car, it STILL looked damned near new inside. Even had traces of "new car" smell. The only dirt I found at that time was some mud on the pedal, and some "crumbs" in the passenger seat.

He gave me the keys and told me to take my time. It handled curves well and hugged like road like a toddler clutching it's mother. And when I tried the sport mode, it was like a child dizzy on sugar and ready to just run and run. The backfiring gurgle the car does made me laugh like an idiot.

Asked the dealer for the vehicle history. It had been purchased and all service had been done through them. New tires were put on at 30000 miles, as well as new brakes. The previous owners kept the car in a garage. The only issue with the car was some upholstery repair work done in February. This car had only been driven 4000 miles this year from January to August 1st.

Went home and looked up any recalls on 2014 Cooper S cars, and figured my finances. And the next day went up, made a counter-offer $3000 lower than the sticker price, and it was accepted.

It IS somewhat a spooky feeling to sign the paperwork marked "AS-IS: NO WARRANTY" at the dealer; am I buying someone else's well-kept car, or am I buying a car getting ready to fall apart? ( I had a nightmare that'd I'd sign the paperwork and the drive train would disintegrate driving back home).

And while I have the dealer to go back to for any potential (inevitable?) issues - I was ALSO fortunate to locate an auto-service locally that not only specializes in Bavarian cars (BMW and MINI specifically listed), but from reviews come in at repairs and maintenance at 40% LOWER than the local Dealer, and offer a 2 year / 24000 mile warranty on anything they repair. Obviously that's going to be my mechanic, should and when the time comes.

ADDENDUM: When I was signing the paperwork at the BMW dealer, the finance manage DID offer an extended warranty. He initially stated that it was a 5 year warranty that would cover everything for $3000 dollars. Which sounded GREAT! However, in revealing the "fine print" it was a 5 year warranty that BEGAN on the day the car was purchased NEW, in November 2013. So what he was offering was that I make payments for 5 years on a warranty that was in actuality only going to last me 2 years and 3 months. When I questioned him on this, he stated that the 60,000 mile service could be as much as $1500 dollars and it was a great value he was offering me. I countered and said that $1500 dollars is half of what he's asking me to pay for a service package that I'd be paying three years longer on than what it would cover.

I passed on the extended warranty he offered.

--------
What to take from my experience? Do as MUCH research as you can not only on the car, but on the SPECIFIC cars you're interested in. Spend 20 bucks and get the history online from the VIN number. Ask a million questions at the dealer. And then a million more.

If something seems odd about that particular car, even just a gut-feeling, move on.

And if it seems right, then say a little prayer to the motor gods, sign your name, and enjoy.

Last edited by LenrdZelig; 08-19-2018 at 11:00 AM.
coach74 (08-26-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 11:36 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
If you have a Shop/Mechanic you trust you could arrange for a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) have the car checked out bow to stern and get a much better independent idea of the condition of the car.

Or if you are more like me .... I just pull out the check book and start writing checks ...

Best of luck no matter what you decide to do.

Motor On!

coach74 (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 11:10 AM
coach74
1st Gear
Was pre approved by my bank for this beauty. Haven't test driven it yet because my manual skills are dated. ie Haven't driven a manual in eons. I think the last time was around 1998? But, I've owned 3 motorcycles since then so me thinks my brain will remember shifting and clutch work.

​​​​​​https://www.brandmotors.net/2012_MIN..._271183242.veh