North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   1st Gear (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/1st-gear-114/)
-   -   Hello From LA 06 Cooper S (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/1st-gear/328958-hello-from-la-06-cooper-s.html)

ShiftEuro 06-28-2018 12:33 AM

Hello From LA 06 Cooper S

2 Attachment(s)
I have had my Mini for over 2 years now. Picked it up with 68k on it and only added a few thousand miles to her. I came from a E46 M3 (miss this car a lot).
I can say I didn't like the mini as much as I thought I would over time. But now its growing on me and I think Its time to start upgrading a few tings here and there.

AnOldBiker 06-28-2018 05:12 AM

Welcome to the forum

Whine not Walnuts 06-28-2018 05:15 AM

Welcome to NAM.

Once you start it is not easy to stop.

ShiftEuro 06-28-2018 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts (Post 4402139)
Welcome to NAM.

Once you start it is not easy to stop.

HAHA I know the feeling well. Started with a 95 750IL simple mods, intake and chip. Then went to a E36 325is (mod crazy) was such a blast to drive. Moved to SF and sold the car because it was not city friendly. Then moved back to LA and got a 1975 BMW 2002, started to resto-mod that one. Was cutoff by a elderly drive in oncoming traffic and the car was hit head on :( that broke me. You guys love you Minis... Try a tuned 2002 wow what a fun car. Anyways after that I got a E46 M3 and blew vanos hub, had it fixed $$$. Car still was making a ticking noise fond out one of the timing chain links was slightly bent and was rubbing on the guides. So stupidly I sold her because I didn't have the money or time to fix it. Went to CarMax got this 06 Mini. I think I will end up keeping this car for a long time as a fun daily driver, while I look for another M car.

My goal for this car is to keep it running, have a little bit of fun with it but not crazy to the point its not reliable every day.

ECSTuning 06-28-2018 11:14 AM

Welcome. Nice checkmate edition.

ShiftEuro 06-28-2018 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by ECSTuning (Post 4402258)
Welcome. Nice checkmate edition.

Thank you, I don't think its a real checkmate. I have looked up the vin and no where do I see that listed.

Goldsmithy 06-28-2018 11:46 AM

Welcome to the Modness. Great site and great people.

RB-MINI 06-28-2018 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by ShiftEuro (Post 4402263)
Thank you, I don't think its a real checkmate. I have looked up the vin and no where do I see that listed.

Welcome!

Does it have the two-tone blue and gray/silver seats and steering wheel?

ShiftEuro 06-28-2018 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by RB-MINI (Post 4402266)
Welcome!

Does it have the two-tone blue and gray/silver seats and steering wheel?

Nope its the silver and gray cloth seats, and dark silver dash.

H_C 06-28-2018 12:40 PM

Great looking '06 MCS!
Before you start upgrading, make sure you're up-to-date on your maintenance.
LA roads can take a toll on Mini's.

ShiftEuro 06-28-2018 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by H_C (Post 4402278)
Great looking '06 MCS!
Before you start upgrading, make sure you're up-to-date on your maintenance.
LA roads can take a toll on Mini's.

I had the car check out at the Universal city Mini dealership. Front control arm bushing where starting to crack. Everything other than that was ok. Ill be doing a tune up myself next week. Oil, filters, plugs, new coil pack, and if I can find a good priced used intake I'll pick one up.

H_C 06-28-2018 01:41 PM

How are you shock towers? You should get reinforcements right away. There are so many potholes and bad roads in LA. :mad:

Originally Posted by ShiftEuro (Post 4402300)
I had the car check out at the Universal city Mini dealership. Front control arm bushing where starting to crack. Everything other than that was ok. Ill be doing a tune up myself next week. Oil, filters, plugs, new coil pack, and if I can find a good priced used intake I'll pick one up.

ShiftEuro 06-28-2018 01:48 PM

They are not mushrooming form what I can see. If and when I do new springs and shocks I will do this. I just don't want to dump a lot of money in this car as I am still looking for another M car.

Maybe I should start a thread in the R53 section.

H_C 06-28-2018 01:53 PM

Shock defenders are not too expensive. Some can be found for less than $100.

ECSTuning 06-28-2018 02:15 PM

Yep,
Right here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-question.html

So its not a true checkmate, they just added items. Standard seats and steering wheel?

WayMotorWorks 06-28-2018 09:01 PM

Welcome always liked Space Blue.:thumbsup:

If they said you need control arm bushings the powerflex will be the best option as they will never wear out again.

The strut plates are a good idea too.

Hope we can help you with your needs.

MCS02 06-29-2018 06:55 AM

Welcome to NAM. Good looking Mini.

ItsmeWayne 06-29-2018 02:25 PM

Hi and welcome to the NAM family!
We hope you embrace the Mini, as you have BMW. The is no better a road go cart as these!
AND... The 06 MCS is the premier first gen model!
Let us peak under the hood!

JABowders 07-05-2018 08:41 AM

Welcome.

Great looking car.

Motor On!

ShiftEuro 12-06-2018 05:59 PM

Hey everyone,

Thought I would keep this post updated with what’s going on with my Mini. Last week I noticed my breaks where making noise, and I could not find any real reason. There is a little less then 50% left on them so no idea why it was happening. Then a few days after that I started to feel a vibration in the wheel during breaking and normal dive. It proceeded to get worse over the next few days. Now there is a noticeable vibration at any speed and the car pulls to the left. I set a appointment at The M Shop here in LA and hoping they can get her back in driving condition.

At the same time I’m going to have them install a new pulley, intake, and do new bushings. While its not a e46 M3 that I miss so much. I have to stay in the car a little longest so why not have a little but of fun.

ShiftEuro 12-06-2018 06:12 PM

OK update: The M Shop found a few things needed to be fixed...
A. REPLACING RIGHT FRONT SHOCK AND SHOCK MOUNT WITH BILSTEIN UNIT TO MATCH LEFT FRONT.
SHOCK, FRONT RIGHT - BILSTEIN 1 STRUT MOUNT

B. REPLACING REAR SHOCKS WITH BILSTEIN UNITS. GUIDE SUPPORT LEFT GUIDE SUPPORT RIGHT SHOCK ABSORBER REAR MINI COOPER/S

C. INSTALL POWER FLEX FRONT CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS. 4 POWERFLEX URETHANE BUSHINGS

D. SWAP REAR TIRES TO FRONT DUE TO STEERING VIBRATION AND REAR TIRES HAVE MORE TREAD. (FRONT WHEELS BENT, MOVED TO REAR).

E. TIRE PATCH - LEFT FRONT TIRE 0.5 F. CUSTOMER REQUESTS WHEEL ALIGNMENT

G. REPLACE LEAKING EXPANSION TANK. 0.75 EXPANSION TANK - R53 1 BMW COOLANT/ANTIFREEZE

H. FRONT AND REAR WIPER INSTALL.

I. REPLACING CRACKED LOWER ENGINE MOUNT

J. REPLACING LEAKING CRANKSHAFT SENSOR O-RING GASKET.

Then I got a call from them about the wheels. The drivers side was bet pretty bad and the tier itself had impact bubbles. How it got them I have no idea as I do not drive full blast in LA with bad roads all over. So they will be changing out the 2 tiers and getting bother front wheels straitened out for me as well. Wont have the car back till Tuesday at the earliest.

Im not real happy about how much this is costing, but better to have a car thats safe then to be stuck on the road or worse loose control in the rain we are having right now.

With how much I’m spending on the car I’m just going to end up keeping her and getting a M car with in the year.

ECSTuning 12-07-2018 07:02 AM

At least you have it back and working.

ShiftEuro 12-07-2018 07:38 AM

Don’t have her back yet. Not till Tuesday, but she should handle a heck of a lot better when I do get her back.

torque124 12-10-2018 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by ShiftEuro (Post 4402112)
I have had my Mini for over 2 years now. Picked it up with 68k on it and only added a few thousand miles to her. I came from a E46 M3 (miss this car a lot).
I can say I didn't like the mini as much as I thought I would over time. But now its growing on me and I think Its time to start upgrading a few tings here and there.

Welcome!

I also owned a E46 M3 , and miss it a lot also.
But again, I miss all my former cars, they were all special to me in a way :)