1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 R53 JCW - Owned less than a week

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 08:12 AM
RndmGuy06
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
All, I have this recurring SES light. I cannot remember what the OBDII code is but it means lean condition. I was told by the dealership and from my research that when you are lean on the post Cat 02 sensor that means an air leak. I have since replaced the green gasket that I believe was my air leak. At what point should I replace the 02 Sensor? I am ready to buy one.

Thanks in advance!

PS. I set a personal best during a commute up the canyons! This car was a blast to throw around the corners at faster than legal speeds

Most recent check engine light.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:05 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
You have not given enough info to narrow it down.
It may be the downstream O2 sensor, but may be other issues also.
The MAF may be dirty or toast.
The blow off valve may be stuck open, or the vacuum hose on it may be cracked or off.
Other hoses may be cracked or off.
The spark plugs may need changing.
The fuel filler cap gasket (o-ring) may be cracked or broken, or just not on tight. (not a lean thing, but common problem)

Keep us posted and check the simple things before buying a down stream O2 sensor, if you need one, try to find an OEM one from places like Amazon (cheaper). The cheap ones never work well, or for long and BMW sensors (Bosch) are more accurate, in my experience.

Last edited by ItsmeWayne; 07-25-2018 at 09:17 AM. Reason: cause my typing sucks!
The following users liked this post:
RndmGuy06 (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 08:48 AM
RndmGuy06
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
You have not given enough info to narrow it down.
It may be the downstream O2 sensor, but may be other issues also.
The MAF may be dirty or toast.
The blow off valve may be stuck open, or the vacuum hose on it may be cracked or off.
Other hoses may be cracked or off.
The spark plugs may need hanging.
The fuel filler cap gasket (o-ring) may be cracked or broken, or just not on tight. (not a lean thing, but common problem)

Keep us posted and check the simple things before buying a down stream O2 sensor, if you need one, try to find an OEM one from places like Amazon (cheaper). The cheap ones never work well, or for long and BMW sensors (Bosch) are more accurate, in my experience.
Wayne. Thank you for a detailed troubleshooting guide. I will work through these and report back. My light came back on after another 100 miles. Seems very intermittent. Have not pulled the codes this morning yet.

When you say blow-off valve...do you mean bypass valve since mine is supercharged?

Old 07-25-2018, 09:14 AM
ItsmeWayne
Yes, the bypass valve pops off, but instead of throwing the pressure to the outside, it goes back into the intake system. If it does not seal completely, it will throw more air into the system and cause a lean condition.

Things that can go wrong with this device are:

cracked or off vacuum hose
stuck butterfly shaft
gummed up
broken vacuum pot
broken or weak spring
leaking o-ring

Old 07-25-2018, 11:04 AM
RndmGuy06
2nd Gear
Yes, the bypass valve pops off, but instead of throwing the pressure to the outside, it goes back into the intake system. If it does not seal completely, it will throw more air into the system and cause a lean condition.

Things that can go wrong with this device are:
cracked or off vacuum hose
stuck butterfly shaft
gummed up
broken vacuum pot
broken or weak spring
leaking o-ring
I have not inspected the bypass valve yet, even though I have had the car in the front end service mode a few times now. Never had what I would consider a bypass valve problem such as yo-yo or surging. Also I will clean both MAFs today.

I will use this thread to trouble shoot.
How to get to my boost return valve? Post #3 contains good information. I will get at it from the top of the engine.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:23 PM
RndmGuy06
2nd Gear
I could really use some help. I don't know how to clear the airbag light. I have tried 3 or 4 different versions of the INPA software but can never access the airbag module. Any ideas? Local shop quoted me 2 hours labor as they have never done it before. What software can reset the light?

Below is the software I have tried. (Except ISTA-D & Joseph Jones)

Thank you in advance!

Old 07-31-2018, 03:52 PM
ItsmeWayne
There is a recall on the seat pressure pad on the passengers side. You take it to the dealer and they will fix it for free.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:03 PM
RndmGuy06
2nd Gear
There is a recall on the seat pressure pad on the passengers side. You take it to the dealer and they will fix it for free.
I already had my passenger seat recall performed. The light turned on when I forgot to unplug the battery during a seat removal.

Any other ideas? Should I just buy the airbag reset tool from amazon?

Old 07-31-2018, 04:08 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by RndmGuy06
I already had my passenger seat recall performed. The light turned on when I forgot to unplug the battery during a seat removal.

Any other ideas? Should I just buy the airbag reset tool from amazon?
I would say yes, but there may be other ways. I have a professional kit in ista, so I don't know how to do it without one. Try Pelican Parts tech info, or MiniMania for tech info.

PelicanParts.com (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 08:55 AM
RndmGuy06
2nd Gear
I would say yes, but there may be other ways. I have a professional kit in ista, so I don't know how to do it without one. Try Pelican Parts tech info, or MiniMania for tech info.
Thank you for the replies. I purchased a C110+ from Amazon and should arrive this week. I am kicking myself for my $50 mistake. I will report out on what the OBDII Reader can do.

My current update is everything is complete. I stitched my seat back together. Fixed a faulty ABS Sensor. Check Engine Light Turned off. Now it is just the last Airbag light.

Driver Seat Before
Driver Seat After
After sitting on it a couple days

TimL (08-01-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 07:49 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Which unit did you buy for Amazon to reset the air bag light? I saw several different brands when I looked there. I may be switching seats in my car and, if it works well, this would be handy for me.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:54 PM
RndmGuy06
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Which unit did you buy for Amazon to reset the air bag light? I saw several different brands when I looked there. I may be switching seats in my car and, if it works well, this would be handy for me.
CREATOR V5.9 C110 C110+ BMW Code... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZG39RP?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

And I loved it! It was so much easier than trying to use the laptop and eBay software. I can't tell you how many hours and software types i used. The code reader was instant and easy. Wish I never spent money on the cable.

Erasing airbag codes

Eddie07S (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 06:22 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Old 08-06-2018, 08:22 AM
RndmGuy06
2nd Gear
Eddie. The OBDII Reader is very helpful but kind of slow. I do not know if this could replace a laptop with software (INPA or ISTA-D or NCS Expert). For my purposes, this is perfect and so simple to use. I have not played with a manual or anything, but there are many different screens with live data for monitoring purposes.

If someone has a specific question, I could test that. Just let me know.

Software Version. (Not the most current)

MINI Models

Screenshot of available metrics

Sample Error Code. (Looks like I might need that O2 Sensor)

Eddie07S (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 09:16 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
I think this would be perfect for me. I have plans to install race seats in my MINI. To do this I plan to buy a set of MINI seats and put the pressure pad into the passenger seat. I will need this tool to reset the seat belt warning. Hopefully, I won’t need to totally recode everything when I do this.

Thanks for sharing and offering to help.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:57 AM
RndmGuy06
2nd Gear
All.

Thank you so very much for all the help the past few months! I could never have repaired my car without this forum. A Mini is a blast to own and drive. I got comments everywhere I went. With mix emotions, this past week I sold my 2005 JCW.

It was quite an experience to repair and get the vehicle road worthy again! Best of luck in all your endeavors!

Old 09-10-2018, 08:34 AM
ItsmeWayne
Hi RndmGuy06,
If you love the driving, then you will be back at some point! The best of luck in your future!

Old 09-10-2018, 09:17 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by RndmGuy06
All.

Thank you so very much for all the help the past few months! I could never have repaired my car without this forum. A Mini is a blast to own and drive. I got comments everywhere I went. With mix emotions, this past week I sold my 2005 JCW.

It was quite an experience to repair and get the vehicle road worthy again! Best of luck in all your endeavors!

Sorry to see you go...