1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In mini cooper the right car for me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 08:10 PM
Jplus
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In mini cooper the right car for me?

Hello minist,
I am not sure it is the right place to ask but i’l try.
I am seriously considering buying a new mini 2018 base 2 door but after doing some research online and around, I have doubts as if it is the right car for me. A little bit of background: first I’ll start to say that I don’t know anything about cars or mechanics. I am looking to buy a small car to replace a 20 y/o Honda that has been almost problem free. I drive to work and for short distance in NYC. I love the Mini Cooper for the design, size and drive style. After doing a test drive I felt good about it. When I buy a car I intend to keep it for a long time like I did with the Honda. I don’t put a lot of miles though. So the mini would be a car that I would like to keep for many years. Now from what I read online, they are not reliable cars, they are very expensive to maintain, they are not like other cars but more like a performance car, they need to be contsently checked (even if the dealer told me only once a year), they are more delicate and parts breaks easily, everything cost a lot of money to repair etc... SCARY! I can have a good deal on one but starting to have very cold feet as I realize it might not be a smart choice. Any advice or suggestions would be very appreciated from experienced owners or anyone!

Old 03-29-2018, 06:23 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Jplus,

MINIs are great cars for people who love to drive. Most people buy cars to get to places. MINI owners enjoy getting there. They are, however, not like many other sports cars (Camaro, Mustang, Corvette). I like to think that a MINI is like a fighter plane where these other sports cars are more of long range bombers. Toyota and Honda (with some exceptions) make cars that would be more comparable to commercial airlines.

There is a price to be paid for the joy of the drive. MINIs require more maintenance, the others require more fuel and higher insurance. The vast majority of those on this forum would likely say that the trade-off is worth it.

I would be hard pressed to explain to someone just looking for a car to drive to work why they should buy a MINI (or Mustang, BMW, Porsche and so on) over a Honda. They will all get you to work and cost you a heck of a lot less over 20 years.

Buy a MINI only if you love the drive and are willing to pay for it. Buy a MINI if you say a fighter plane is what you are looking for in a car.

Another option that will be only slightly more expensive to maintain over the long term than a Honda but will be slightly less enjoyable of a drive than the MINI is Mazda. My daily driver is a Mazda3. I typically take back roads to work over the highways just for the fun of it. It is not quite as fun as the MINI but it needs nearly no maintenance.

Good luck with your decision.

The following users liked this post:
bratling (03-30-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 06:52 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
The drive is so much more fun in a MINI. The extra advantage with the handling and fun is you get good gas mileage. It not cheap to own like other cars but it makes up for it and driving a pleasure.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-29-2018, 07:18 AM
StephenM
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
One thing to note: MINI's poor reliability reputation was mainly due to the earlier 2nd generation cars. The 3rd generation has, so far, proven to be very reliable. That said, these are essentially small BMWs and will therefore be more expensive to have serviced than a Honda.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:41 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Is it the right car for you ... do what I did, drive one and decide .. I did .. and bought one

Old 03-29-2018, 12:25 PM
Jplus
Neutral
Originally Posted by miniCPA
Jplus,

MINIs are great cars for people who love to drive. Most people buy cars to get to places. MINI owners enjoy getting there. They are, however, not like many other sports cars (Camaro, Mustang, Corvette). I like to think that a MINI is like a fighter plane where these other sports cars are more of long range bombers. Toyota and Honda (with some exceptions) make cars that would be more comparable to commercial airlines.

There is a price to be paid for the joy of the drive. MINIs require more maintenance, the others require more fuel and higher insurance. The vast majority of those on this forum would likely say that the trade-off is worth it.

I would be hard pressed to explain to someone just looking for a car to drive to work why they should buy a MINI (or Mustang, BMW, Porsche and so on) over a Honda. They will all get you to work and cost you a heck of a lot less over 20 years.

Buy a MINI only if you love the drive and are willing to pay for it. Buy a MINI if you say a fighter plane is what you are looking for in a car.

Another option that will be only slightly more expensive to maintain over the long term than a Honda but will be slightly less enjoyable of a drive than the MINI is Mazda. My daily driver is a Mazda3. I typically take back roads to work over the highways just for the fun of it. It is not quite as fun as the MINI but it needs nearly no maintenance.

Good luck with your decision.
Thank you for this realistic view. Actually that’s funny because I did test drive a Mazda 3 and also liked it! It’s kind of my second choice. But I found the size of the mini more practical and appealing. Anyway I think I got your point and I will give it more thought. I am definitely not looking for a fighter plane (btw I like the comparison) and I am not sure I am willing to pay the additional expense for luxury. I also don’t like to waste my time dealing with service dealer and I don’t know a thing about car mechanics. One option would be to lease the car instead of buying for a worry free experience. I’ll pay more money at the end though...

Old 03-29-2018, 12:34 PM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
A lease is only a good deal for a few people. If you want to get a new car every few years and you know you will drive the amount of miles covered in the contract, it might be a good deal but otherwise it would not. It is not for someone who wants to keep a car for 20 years.

If the Mazda3 is too big, the 2016 Scion IA, later the 2017 Toyota Yaris IA and now the 2018 Toyota Yaris sedan may be a good car for you. I bought one for my kids and we love it. This car is sold in other countries as the Mazda2 and it drives like a Mazda. A little under-powered, but excellent handling and the perfect size for someone who thinks the Mazda3 is too big and the MINI is just right.

The following 2 users liked this post by miniCPA:
BossHoss (04-06-2018), Jplus (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 09:34 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
What miniCPA said!
If a car is only transportation, the Mini may not be for you!
If you want to stay young, the Mini is for you!
If you want a car to just drive to work, buy a economy box!

Old 03-30-2018, 10:07 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
+1 on what everyone herein has said. If you do go with a MINI something wonderful just might happen. You might discover the joy of motoring and find excuses to get away for weekend romps into the woods, find the roads less traveled. We drove a little upstate a few years ago and can attest to the outstanding countryside. Going topless is the ultimate but for the city a hardtop would be preferred.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:41 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
JPlus:

Regardless of whether you buy a Mini or a Mazda, read this thread here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-the-deal.html

The advice in this thread applies to buying any car.

Jplus (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 11:56 AM
H_C
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
The reason servicing a Mini is so high is because of the high cost of parts and that servicing/replacing parts often requires you to remove bulky items (tire, front bumper, etc).

If you're looking for a fun small car (but not practical for more than 1 person), consider buying a used MX-5 Miata. They are tiny fun sports car that are very easy to service (thus making repairs relatively cheap). They have a cult following and often retain their value.

You should go to your local car clubs and dealerships and ask for test drives.
If the roads in your area have numerous potholes, I'd suggest getting a car that has a higher clearance. Stock Mini's are very low to the ground and are susceptible to scraping.

bratling (03-31-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 05:44 PM
Jplus
Neutral
Originally Posted by H_C
The reason servicing a Mini is so high is because of the high cost of parts and that servicing/replacing parts often requires you to remove bulky items (tire, front bumper, etc).

If you're looking for a fun small car (but not practical for more than 1 person), consider buying a used MX-5 Miata. They are tiny fun sports car that are very easy to service (thus making repairs relatively cheap). They have a cult following and often retain their value.

You should go to your local car clubs and dealerships and ask for test drives.
If the roads in your area have numerous potholes, I'd suggest getting a car that has a higher clearance. Stock Mini's are very low to the ground and are susceptible to scraping.
Thanks. Yes we have potholes everywhere here in NYC. But I see several Mini around so that’s probably not too bad...

Old 03-30-2018, 06:00 PM
Minidogger
4th Gear
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Check out VW GTI too.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:48 AM
asysavanh
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You're looking at the newer minis. They don't really have the problems like the old ones. Well, at least they haven't surfaced yet lol. I had the same view on Mini Coopers but bit the bullet anyways.
I do all of my own work though. For major work, I take it to a friend of mine who is pretty knowledgeable about euros.
I came from the Honda world. This feels like a really refined civic. Everything the civic is missing the Mini has. The car is just fun to drive.
I'd say get one but grab a "S" trim at least

Old 03-31-2018, 03:47 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
When we took delivery of our 06 R53, I only had a fraction of the knowlege as today. Looking back, I would make the same decision--no regrets. Bottom line--our MINI injected fun into our journeys and if it cost a tad more than an appliance to maintain, it was well worth it. Can't put a dollar sign on a grin. Good luck.

Last edited by buzzsaw; 04-01-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:42 PM
Jplus
Neutral
Thanks everyone for your helpful input! Great passionate people here!! I got the pros and cons. Now up to me if I am ready to value and pay for it, understanding that this car falls into a premium car maintenance category and the related costs and that I will have to rely on the service dealer shop for maintenance, I also understand that it's not a car that I can just drive and forget. The dealer suggest an extended warranty for peace of mind but then it add a big chunk to the price. BUT I still find some good reasons to buy a mini, size/style/fun aspect, so I want to give myself more time before deciding. Just enough time before my old Honda dies

Old 04-02-2018, 05:07 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Jplus
…I will have to rely on the service dealer shop for maintenance
Not quite (although the dealer would looooove for you to think that). You will get your first three years of routine maintenance – basically, oil changes – provided by MINI of North America through any MINI dealer. I suggest you use this; if anything does go wrong (it happens) they won't have anyone else to blame it on.

There is a one year period between when the "free" 3 year/36,000mi maintenance runs out and when the 4 year/50,000mi warranty runs out. In that period I tend to have the dealer do service – again, just in case.

But, here's the important part: you can have your service done by anyone and so long as it is done to MINI specifications, your warranty is still valid. (Thank you, Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.) I wouldn't suggest Jiffy Lube for a MINI, but any good, competent auto shop can do the work.

The dealer suggest an extended warranty for peace of mind but then it add a big chunk to the price.
They love selling these. They have huge profit margins -- it can easily double or triple their profit on the sale of the car. If you want this, bargain hard -- they typically sell the warranty to you at a 2x to 3x markup from what they pay for it.

That said, be very clear whether it really is a warranty, because usually they're trying to sell you on pre-paid maintenance (but they call it a warranty, to confuse the customer into buying it).

The pre-paid maintenance plans are even better margins for dealers! Typically they'll want to sell you on something that costs $2000–3000, that extends the 3-year "free" maintenance to 7 years, so that you are basically paying $500/year for $200 oil changes. (An independent shop would charge you $50–75 for it.)

If you get the impression I think it's a bad deal for the customer, you're right.

BUT I still find some good reasons to buy a mini, size/style/fun aspect, so I want to give myself more time before deciding. Just enough time before my old Honda dies
It's a Honda. Take care of it and it will never die. That's the problem with Hondas -- they don't give you an excuse to replace it with something more fun

(The only thing more stubborn than a Honda is a Toyota Hilux. Those things just won't die no matter how you abuse them. Their descendents, the Toyota Tacoma, are almost as good.)

Old 04-06-2018, 05:50 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by AnOldBiker
Welcome to the forum

Is it the right car for you ... do what I did, drive one and decide .. I did .. and bought one
+

I recommend you drive one of each, you might find that one calls to you over all the others.

But what do I know, I only own four...

Motor On!

Old 04-06-2018, 07:01 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
While enjoying the warranty service of the dealer, with advice from other MINI people in your area, find an extremely reliable MINI service shop and make good friends with them. You'll be glad you did miles down the road.