1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am a Miniless Miniac (for now)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 10:18 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts
I am a Miniless Miniac (for now)

Hello good people, I'm way overdue for a more modern car and I've become absolutely smitten with the MINI.

I'm targeted on finding an 05/06 MCS and I'm being patient to find a good specimen to my liking, and I really want a slicktop so this makes the search a bit more difficult.

The examples I've come across in my immediate area have been rather thrashed, or either beautiful but with auto trans, and no sadly slicktops.

I did come across a lovely looking 04 MC40 with 100k miles for a great price but it's like 350 miles away from me and I wouldn't be able to check it out until week after next, I'm hoping it's still there as I think I'd buy it on the spot unless there's indication of impending doom, bonus that it has the dealer option JCW kit installed, and it's a one owner too. I'd originally wanted only a pepper white or dark silver, but the chili red has grown on me after ogling it so much and browsing through the MC40 thread here at NAM --- by the way, this forum has an incredible archive of knowledge and experience. I've been madly browsing various topics and it has been intensely enriching, so, thanks for being here and maintaining such a wonderful database.

My only hiccup about an MC40 is I wonder if I would miss the shorter ratios of the 05/06 gearbox.
Is it that big of a night and day difference?
If I did get a pre-facelift with the taller gears, would the later box be a straightforward swap whenever and if ever that time should come?

Another reason that the MC40 appeals to me is because it is a tribute to the Mini's rally heritage, and I'm a big fan of rallysport.

I am a Saabnut and have driven a mid 80's 900 Turbo since 1991, they have been my only cars, I've had 3 in that time period.
I tend to be a fanatical anorak and if an obsession grabs me then I'm all in.
Saab also had a rich rally heritage, and ironically, Saab won the MC in '62 and '63 with a 96 stroker piloted by Erik Carlsson, and in another irony he was married to Pat Moss (Stirling Moss's younger sister) who was also a gifted rally driver and scored Mini's first big international win in the Netherlands at the Tulip Rally in 1962.
So the Saab/Mini thing weirdly ties in with one another,
both are giant killers!
Neat stuff!
=)

I greatly look forward to MINI ownership and proper fun motoring.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:00 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Keep us informed of what you end up doing.

A red MINI, not a bad color but then of course I have no inklings one way or the other.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:05 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Welcome
If you want the 05-06 gear ratios hold out till you find that car. We have seen a big decrease in used MINI prices lately so hold out till you find the right one. Trying to swap it later will cost too much, and you will loose cruise control. Not to mention the 05-06 cars have several small things that make them just a little better.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-11-2017, 12:20 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forum

It might be impossible in what you might want. I was looking for several years for just the right one for me and called it quits .. then bought a new one. It's hard to find what you want for a reasonable price without all that major investment cost after the buy.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:28 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi Oldboy Speedwell,
The 02 to 06 are my faves, I have owned several and I can tell you to hold out for an 06 MCS and the JCW package is never a bad move either.
I did own an impressive 05 MCS with chrono package and it was a kick butt car too. I have owned all of the gen 1s and the 05/06 models are the best.
Hold out for one and don't worry too much if it has 155K miles on it, as they run long and hard and you will see many with 300K miles, still driving down the road, but the 150K mile cars seem tight still!
You can recondition it to your liking, or just bring it back to good condition.
We look forward to what you get and post up some before pics, then some after!
Welcome to the NAM family!

ItsmeWayne's 05 Mini S (sold to a Mini Maniac 2017)

Itsme Wayne' 06 S jcw
This car Rocks!