1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 08:58 AM
CafeFixie
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy

Hey guys my name is Carlos. I am the 2nd owner of a 2012 mini john Cooper works edition. The car currently has 82k miles and is a blast to drive. I have autocrossed the car and have had a blast. So far the mods I have done are a rear sway, after market wheels, and Koni struts. I joined NAM bc I am eager to learn and seeking advice on my car. After installing my Struts and a few trips to the dealer I am hearing a clunk sound in the rear and a rattling sound that I cannot seem to get rid of. I have riding it out for the last 10k+ miles. I know it's not the best, so other than trying to fix it, does anyone here recommend a spring or strut/Coilovers?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:44 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Welcome.

Your thunking might be a worn bushing for either the Trailing Arm(s) and/or Wishbone(s) ... and/or a combination of several. Your car is old enough for these to fail.

Best of luck.

Motor On!

Old 08-23-2017, 11:06 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Welcome to NAM.

If you have not already done so, suggest you check out the Gen2 Stock Problems/Issues area. There is an immense amount of information here between the threads, the members and the vendors. On the clunk, are you sure you tightened all the sway bar, endlinks and strut nuts/bolts? I had a rattle in the back that waas driving me crazy, the endlink was loose.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:22 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM! Lots to learn about your car/go cart.
The trailing arms can come loose from the body and it will cause banging/rattling/ rear sway (when it gets bad). It is important to check these to make sure they are tight, or damage can happen to the body threaded inserts.
This is a fairly common area for looseness (when you drive hard, or go to stiffer suspension)

Old 08-23-2017, 07:15 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Welcome

Can't diagnosis a noise without hearing and seeing it. So I would first remove the shock and make sure all the bolts in the rear suspension are tight.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more