1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got started

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 07:56 PM
Maylene mini
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got started

Hi every one,
I just started with the forum today.

In 2002 I was smitten by the new Minis but would not buy one as there were no dealers in Alabama.. I have been a auto cross racer since 1976 and finally quit about 8 years ago. I campaigned in a 1974 Honda Civic in DP. I am a front wheel drive fanatic but decide to pick up a S2000 which I still have and love.
I never got the Mini thing out of my mind and about 18 months ago I came across a real good deal on a 2010 JCW Clubman. It is BRG with a black interior.
It is a blast to drive but the idea of it looking so dark and ordinary did not work.

I found a company that would fix her up with a new paint scheme. I like the Lotus racing colors of BRG and Yellow. They gave me just what I wanted. She now has two wide yellow stripes up the front and down the back doors. The roof is yellow with two wide BRG stripes. The rear view mirrors and wheels are yellow. I thought that the interior was too dark so they painted the door trim yellow also. The doors now match the JCW decal on the dash.
The painter asked me if I was a Green Bay Packer fan.

This January I bought my wife a new 2017 Cooper S which she loves. You see who gets the new car. I do not like the newer Clubman at all. It is to big for my taste but I am sure many people love them.

I have always been a car guy but now I have the cars I want, We have a Honda CRV that we take trips and haul the dogs in.

As a former racer I do not think that you ever have too much power so I plan to do some work on the Cubman. I am sure that this forum will be a great help.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:15 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Welcome to NAM.

With both a Gen2 and a Gen3 at a snap of your finger, what are your thoughts relative to low/top end power, handling and interior comforts?

Old 08-21-2017, 08:47 AM
Maylene mini
1st Gear
Just got started

Nice to be here. I should have done it earlier.

I am not the best guy to ask about how these cars compare. My wife has a automatic and mine is a manual.

Both cars are fun because, unlike my S2000, all of the power comes on at low rpms. Her cars power is even lower than mine. A reasonable commute would most likely never go above three thousand rpms. It moves around mostly between 1500 and 2000 rpms. The Clubman is a little higher.

Since it is my wife's car I do not drive it often. I have never driven it aggressively. I save that for the Clubman and the S2000. My best guess is that they are pretty close on power out put. The things I notice are driving sensations. Her car feels larger yet the interior feels more cramped. Her car feels a lot more rigid while mine feels more nimble. I am sure that I could love the new car as a daily driver if it had a manual.
Both of the cars drive nice on the highway. Her car has run flat tires,which I hate. My car has conventional tires and a space saver tire. Her car has no place to store a spare.

I thought about getting a new JCW hard top. I decided that I liked the nimble feel too much. My car has 54,000 miles and we paid cash for it. I think that I would prefer to keep the one I have.

I see that you are from North Carolina. I grew up in Raleigh and went to Sanderson high school and Catawba college.

Nice to hear from you!

Old 08-21-2017, 09:13 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Welcome. I remember back in the day when MINI were mostly all made to order. Dealerships were few and maybe 6-8 cars on the lots.
Get a JCW you will not regret it.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-23-2017, 06:31 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM! Congrats on your two Mini family!
Where's the pics?

The following users liked this post:
Maylene mini (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 07:12 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 756 Likes on 618 Posts
Welcome and Congrats Love the JCW Clubman as I've been looking for one to upgrade my regular Clubman to.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-23-2017, 07:51 PM
Maylene mini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Hi and welcome to NAM! Congrats on your two Mini family!
Where's the pics?
As soon as I figure out how to do the pics I will do it.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:54 AM
NJmini2
Neutral
Just Joined NAM after ordering 2018 MCS

Hello All,

I was looking for a new car and test drove all of the run-of-the-mill competitors under 40k which left me uninspired at best. I stopped by a Mini dealer by chance and test drove the Mini for the first time. I was simply hooked-My wife said that I actually laughed and said "Whoaa" during the test ride when I threw the car hard into a turn. Car is so much fun to drive!

We built a 2018 MCS hardtop that day which should be here in early October. Needless to say, I'm already looking to modify. Good stuff so far on this site--helpful suggestions are welcome.

Thanks everybody!

Old 08-31-2017, 08:00 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Welcome.

Post some PICs, I wanna see them...

Motor On!

Old 08-31-2017, 06:12 PM
Maylene mini
1st Gear
Just got started

Hi and thanks for the Welcome.
I have posted pics to my Maylene Mini album but have not figured out how to place them in a message here or in the Clubman group.
I will keep trying and one day when you least expect it the pics will appear.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:33 PM
Maylene mini
1st Gear
I just posted pics to the Clubman forum. 2010 JCW CLUBMAN PICS

Old 09-11-2017, 11:04 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forum