1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New F60 -- Lowered and rolling wide

Old 06-13-2017, 08:16 AM
z_lacko
Neutral
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
New F60 -- Lowered and rolling wide

Hey, folks.

I came from the WRX community and I probably see a dozen or so of those driving home everyday, so I wanted something more unique. Put a order in to the dealer in January and took delivery of my F60 Countryman in March. Been throwing wrenches at it since then because I can't leave things well enough alone and here we are.

After about 100 hours of build time, it's been lowered about 3" on coilovers with piecemeal components from F30 BMWs, Audi S3s and miscellaneous sourced components. There were a few custom machined pieces as well, such as the front camber plates (though E90 series mounts will work).

Fit 20x10 +35 Rotiform RSEs on it with a 255/35/20 Falken FK450 tire. Yes, there was a lot of cutting and grinding metal, liners and trim to get it to work.

Then painted miscellaneous components. Emblems. Grille trim. Headlight and taillight trim. Black gloss vinyl paint for all the plastic trim, save for the front grille.

To my knowledge, it may very well be the first F60 lowered on coilovers. I can't say that with any degree of accuracy, but I've not found any others stateside through social media or random forums.

A few photos are attached, but I'll be feeding more out through my Instagram and I can gladly take questions off the air. Kinda poor quality and a dirty car, but I have a more details to button up, then I'll take it out for proper photos soon.

Attached Thumbnails New F60 -- Lowered and rolling wide-mini-complete.jpg   New F60 -- Lowered and rolling wide-mini-rear-garage.jpg   New F60 -- Lowered and rolling wide-mini-front-fit.jpg   New F60 -- Lowered and rolling wide-mini-rear-fit.jpg  
Old 06-13-2017, 09:47 AM
B2FiNiTY
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks amazing!

Definitely the first F60 I've seen lowered!

Old 06-13-2017, 11:20 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Yes, possible. There is really nothing on the market aftermarket for the F60 yet. It shared some items from the F54 Clubman. Looks good.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-14-2017, 07:51 AM
z_lacko
Neutral
Thanks, guys!

Yeah, I had hoped to find some more "stuff" for it out there since it's based off that BMW UKL platform that's the shared base with the F54. But even then, pickings were a bit slim save for universal kind of things like LCAs. I have to give a ton of credit to a friend who helped machine parts and source weirdo things.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:34 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Welcome to NAM.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:55 PM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
Welcome to NAM. Looks great. Lowering is not an option here in WI if you want to drive once the snow flies. My F60SE "Ethel" goes on the boat tomm. I have Falken's on my current R60 and they have been the best performing and wearing tire on a Mini for me.

Did you pull the rear lights to do the trim? Wondered if was similar process to R60.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:37 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to the NAM family!

Old 06-15-2017, 06:18 AM
z_lacko
Neutral
Originally Posted by MIminiclubman
Welcome to NAM. Looks great. Lowering is not an option here in WI if you want to drive once the snow flies. My F60SE "Ethel" goes on the boat tomm. I have Falken's on my current R60 and they have been the best performing and wearing tire on a Mini for me.

Did you pull the rear lights to do the trim? Wondered if was similar process to R60.
Thanks! Yeah, I retained all the OE suspension bits and cleaned them up to be put back on in November along with the OE wheels and snow tires. Not sure if we get as much snow as you all, but it can get hairy here in the mountains. I went into the project with the intent of fully swapping suspension seasonally.

The boat part is the longest wait. Stay strong! I know wear is going to be an issue for me with running so much negative camber, but I liked the look of the Falkens (previously ran PT722 on my old WRX) and I find they're generally economical, consistent in size and stretch okay. Sometimes with the cheaper stuff a tire will fit much smaller than the size suggests.

And yes, the rear tailights need pulled, but it's not a biggie. The biggest WTF I found was that they have two white half-moon things on the back that need to be spun around that holds the light in place. Access panel for those is in the trunk. Just spin those 180*, remove the black plastic panels the rear hatch seals against with a spirited yank (there are fragile clips close to the light) and drop the two 10mm nuts to pull the light. From there, there are only five or six clips that hold the trim ring to the lamp. I used a black two-part epoxy aersol spray primer, then a black two-part "Rat rod" black aerosol (should've used just a simple one part urethane, the rat rod black isn't jet black), then cleared with a two-part gloss aerosol. Hit the trim with some 320 grit sandpaper to etch it before priming, then wet sand with 600 after the primer and paint being careful not to burn through to the chrome again.

If you want to know how to take any other trim off, let me know -- I had everything but the roof bars and cockpit trim off.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:17 AM
z_lacko
Neutral
I promised more photos once I was able to shoot them, so here they are:

Attached Thumbnails New F60 -- Lowered and rolling wide-mini-front-fitment.jpg   New F60 -- Lowered and rolling wide-mini-rear-shadow.jpg   New F60 -- Lowered and rolling wide-mini-moody-grill.jpg   New F60 -- Lowered and rolling wide-mini-street-view-slanted.jpg   New F60 -- Lowered and rolling wide-mini-against-hill.jpg  

New F60 -- Lowered and rolling wide-mini-front-wheel-side.jpg   New F60 -- Lowered and rolling wide-mini-rear-wheel-side.jpg   New F60 -- Lowered and rolling wide-mini-side-profile.jpg   New F60 -- Lowered and rolling wide-rotiform-rse_.jpg   New F60 -- Lowered and rolling wide-mini-woodburn-2.jpg  

Old 06-18-2017, 05:54 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks absolutely stunning!

Old 06-19-2017, 08:15 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor

Well done.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-19-2017, 11:24 AM
z_lacko
Neutral
Thanks so much for the compliments, folks!

Old 06-20-2017, 07:48 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
You are welcome.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:08 AM
ProjectMini
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah baby YEAH!

Nice job Sr. Now don't forget to wave to your fellow MINI Fam!

Old 11-25-2017, 12:03 PM
OJ MINI
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Amazing, Amazing Amazing ����. Great work.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:04 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
and Welcome to the forum

Old 11-26-2017, 04:24 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Looks really nice. Welcome.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:41 AM
cmartyna
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to do this too!

I need to do something like this with my f60!!!
If you hear of any other places offering springs or kits,
post them up. Your MINI looks so good!
Originally Posted by z_lacko
hey, folks.

I came from the wrx community and i probably see a dozen or so of those driving home everyday, so i wanted something more unique. Put a order in to the dealer in january and took delivery of my f60 countryman in march. Been throwing wrenches at it since then because i can't leave things well enough alone and here we are.

After about 100 hours of build time, it's been lowered about 3" on coilovers with piecemeal components from f30 bmws, audi s3s and miscellaneous sourced components. There were a few custom machined pieces as well, such as the front camber plates (though e90 series mounts will work).

Fit 20x10 +35 rotiform rses on it with a 255/35/20 falken fk450 tire. Yes, there was a lot of cutting and grinding metal, liners and trim to get it to work.

Then painted miscellaneous components. Emblems. Grille trim. Headlight and taillight trim. Black gloss vinyl paint for all the plastic trim, save for the front grille.

To my knowledge, it may very well be the first f60 lowered on coilovers. I can't say that with any degree of accuracy, but i've not found any others stateside through social media or random forums.

A few photos are attached, but i'll be feeding more out through my instagram and i can gladly take questions off the air. Kinda poor quality and a dirty car, but i have a more details to button up, then i'll take it out for proper photos soon.

Attached Thumbnails New F60 -- Lowered and rolling wide-f60.jpg  
Old 07-02-2018, 01:37 PM
Mister Spice
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great Eye you have!!!

Originally Posted by z_lacko
Hey, folks.

I came from the WRX community and I probably see a dozen or so of those driving home everyday, so I wanted something more unique. Put a order in to the dealer in January and took delivery of my F60 Countryman in March. Been throwing wrenches at it since then because I can't leave things well enough alone and here we are.

After about 100 hours of build time, it's been lowered about 3" on coilovers with piecemeal components from F30 BMWs, Audi S3s and miscellaneous sourced components. There were a few custom machined pieces as well, such as the front camber plates (though E90 series mounts will work).

Fit 20x10 +35 Rotiform RSEs on it with a 255/35/20 Falken FK450 tire. Yes, there was a lot of cutting and grinding metal, liners and trim to get it to work.

To my knowledge, it may very well be the first F60 lowered on coilovers. I can't say that with any degree of accuracy, but I've not found any others stateside through social media or random forums.

A few photos are attached, but I'll be feeding more out through my Instagram and I can gladly take questions off the air. Kinda poor quality and a dirty car, but I have a more details to button up, then I'll take it out for proper photos soon.
I just received my triple black 2018 F60s (fwd) thanks for the info on yours , you and I are on the same track for looks on our F60. I had the same idea about mine... I already have 20" black 5 spoke American Racing wheels that came off my 2015 R61s …Im trying to find wheel adapters that will allow me to put them on this F60s. Dealer will lower mine they say.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:25 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Welcome.

That is a great looking car.

Motor On!

Search this Thread