1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member located in the middle of NC

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 12:18 PM
Bubba_Roy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member located in the middle of NC

Hello everyone. Just joined, but have been doing LOTS of research on here and other sites preparing for my midlife crisis car. Looking for a 2005/6 JCW. I've owned a 1972 Mini 1000 when I was stationed in the UK along with an Mini pickup, Audi Coupe, Xr3i, BMW 323, 528, 728, & in the US I had Spitfire, X19, Tr7, 1960 Baja bug and some other crappy cars, but I always go back to that little Mini 1000. It always put a smile on my face. Any help locating a lower mileage real JCW that has been taken care of would be appreciated. This site has tons of great information and I look forward to using it on my car one day.
Thanks,
Roy

Old 05-09-2017, 01:31 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Welcome to NAM and hope you do hook up with a JCW and keep posting here. What's your price range?

I had a 73 Harvest Gold MGB. Last of the chrome bumpers.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:04 PM
Bubba_Roy
Neutral
I would like to keep the cost around $12k if possible.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:25 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
You should be able to find a nice car for that price.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:51 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to the Nam family, Bubba Roy!
The best years in my humble opinion, are 05 and 06, but when you add in JCW, then I am clearly feeling the 06 is the best gen 1 to choose, as it is the only factory built JCW!
I have a fairly new to me 06 MCS JCW. I am working to make it the car of my dreams. A few days ago the AC went out, so I purchased a complete OEM kit, with AC compressor, receiver\ dryer tank, expansion device and all gaskets and seals to do the job. I want my car to be as correct as possible, but geared to my idea of what is right.
After that is back in order, I will replace wheel bearing packs, suspension bushings and any worn components. The power steering rack was already replaced, but I want everything tight and right. I have replaced the rear rotors and added Ceramic brakes.
I really like the factory wheels, but they are not going to cut it for summer driving as the weigh 24 LBS. I am looking for 16 to 17 LBS wheels and some aggressive summer tires.
I looked for the best part of a year, to find this car. I hope you can find one much sooner and with your price, I think you will find one quickly.

In my case, I got a carfax of the car I was buying, but it is impossible to know what actually happened to mine. When I got it, I soon found out the ECM had been changed with another and this can not be done, with out some serious flaws, as they are tied to the VIN code. I am purchasing a new ECM, which I will get factory set to my VIN and tune. This is a costly PITA, but I want it right!
Make sure you post up, your new to you MCS JCW, when you get it!
I just love these little MINIS!
Here is mine:

Old 05-15-2017, 04:57 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Welcome.

There are a number of JCWs out there and if you are lucky you can run across a GP, a fantastic bang for the buck.

Best of luck in your search.

Motor On!

Old 06-18-2017, 07:18 AM
Bubba_Roy
Neutral
Well, I went to look at...

...A 2007 Mini Cooper convertible with the JCW and the sidewalk package. Black, chrome and saddle...what a beautiful combination. Having had a Spitfire and an X/19 I'm not leaning toward owning another convertible, but this one ticked every other checkbox. Beautiful car with the still supercharged engine (which I learned from this very informative site). Unfortunately, on the way there, a friend text me another car add. It was for a 2009 370z touring with sport package...sorry guys, I never made it to the Mini. Probably get flames for this, but the car was a Texas car and will taken care of during it's life. It was probably the lessons I learned on here about maintenance of the MCS that emphasised the Nissan's lower ownership costs. Anyway, thanks to this site and also the people who have made it so informative. I read on here for weeks learning the good and bad points of owning a Mini. You have an awesome site.
Thanks,
Roy
I couldn't turn it down...

Old 06-18-2017, 08:28 AM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
Welcome to NAM from WI!