1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mini owner and new to the site

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 07:06 PM
josephbartkovsky
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mini owner and new to the site

So i guess ill start with my names Joe. I recently acquired an 02 (R50) forest green mini. I bought it for $2500 from a couple who i do work for, I own and run a Landscape and Home improvement business, so thats how i met them. Now when i first met them i seen this mini and thought damn id love to own that. they told me that it was perfectly fine, but it just needed some TLC because its been sitting for a while. They had the clutch replaced and the tranny rebuilt to keep it original. the car shifts smoothly in every gear and drives great. The battery was dead so they got it running for me so i could take it for a test drive one day and it drove perfectly fine. not an issue at all actually. until i got back and i went to put it in reverse and the ****er shut off on me and then when i went to take the key out and the damn thing kept running until i put it in reverse again. I took it for another test drive once i bought a new battery for it about a month ago, absolutely nothing wrong with it, or so i thought. once i brought the car home, i noticed that the radio kept turning on randomly(with the car off and key out of the ignition) and then out of no where it started acting up again with the car not turning off. Now i have to disconnect the battery just to get the damn thing to turn off all together. i also noticed that the sun roof leaks(soaks the head liner right over the driver seat, my luck), and im thinking that, that has something to do with the car not shutting off or atleast something with the fact that the windows and locks dont work or maybe the entire electrical issues all together. *if anyone knows anything about why or how this **** is happening with my car pleaseeeeeee help!!! haha its a nightmare in my eyes and i just love the car to much to get rid of it.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:49 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Welcome, read through the threads on your generation car. Lots of talk about water intrusion and the issues you are seeing. I never owned one so I can't recite the info for you.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:38 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to nam. Don't freak out on the leak, as the drains on the sunroof. they can be cleaned and the leak will go away.
The electrics: Jump starting many times and disconnecting the battery, will freak out the computer. You can get it reset. It may be as easy as leaving the negative terminal off for a few minutes, to having to get the computer re-flashed, to needing to replace the ignition switch.
Don't freak out as people here will chime in.
You may want to post on the 02 to 06 1st gen section to get the best response.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:42 AM
ItsmeWayne
This thread may help you with the leak:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...of-drains.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-problems.html

Last edited by ItsmeWayne; 01-20-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:03 AM
ItsmeWayne
Can you get an OBD 11 scanner to check for codes? it would limit it down to a less amount of possibilities.
Let us know what P codes you are getting.