North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   1st Gear (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/1st-gear-114/)
-   -   In need of sage advice (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/1st-gear/286708-in-need-of-sage-advice.html)

ERyan 04-16-2015 08:04 PM

In need of sage advice

Dear Friends of the Mini,

I would so appreciate your

Ok, here are the facts.

I am starting a new business and buying a car at the same time. I plan on buying used and would like to keep my monthly payments under 300$. I live in VT (though I do not live on a dirt road, my parents do and I visit them regularly).

When I purchase a car, I want to do so with a sense of ease, knowing that I am not going to need to be on the look out for constant repairs needed. I have researched 1000's of cars, love to drive, and care about form and function equally.

The practical thing to do is buy a Honda Civic. What I want is a MINI Clubman I can trust. I passed up an amazing deal for a 2010 Clubman for $12,500 with 45,000 miles b/c it was not a manual and b/c all of my research pointed to 50,000$ being the danger zone in for MINI's. Actually, what I found out in my MINI research was that they were either a nightmare at 50, 000 or perfect, so the info has not been consistent.

I cannot afford a new MINI at this stage, but everything else I consider just doesn't measure up and I am not good with settling for 2nd best. I want a car that is safe, reliable, environmentally wise, fast, and has class/character.

So, my question is this:

What would you do?

Thank you so much, it will really be so helpful to hear your opinions.

ER

cambo 04-16-2015 08:37 PM

Right...

Stay away from the mini. There's my sage advice.

Dedicate your time and money to your business right now. Having a mini now will only consume both...trust me. Get yourself a reliable beater that can handle those vermont winters.

When your business takes off and you're wiping yourself with 20s...get yourself a tricked out John Cooper Works. Since you can't settle for second best, a JCW is your only choice.

Minnie.the.Moocher 04-16-2015 09:41 PM

Pretty much ditto on cambo comments. Buy yourself a used Honda or similar and concentrate on business building, unless you are going to be in a business that requires that you drive some flash car (pimp?).

I've built, run and sold several businesses over the years and I usually sold off any fancy cars to keep costs down while building.

a2oc 04-16-2015 11:38 PM

If you want reliability the first thing to do is stay away from mini, and the cooper wasnt that fast

MINI #1 04-18-2015 07:43 AM

You can lease a MINI or Certified Next and probably be way under the $300 a month.

WayMotorWorks 04-18-2015 08:44 AM

We love MINIs but if you are buying an unknown condition used MINI the best thing you can do to protect yourself is get an aftermarket extended warranty. That way if a expensive repair comes up you will have them to cover it.

whaap 04-18-2015 08:54 AM

That's a no-brainer. I would buy the Civic. There's time for a Mini at another time in your life. I wouldn't own a Mini that didn't have a new car warranty.

Charlie Victor 04-18-2015 10:02 AM

I like MINIs, but +1 to what has already been said. Put the MINI on the back burner and go for an affordable and reliable appliance car; Honda and Toyota are gonna be your best bets in that dept. Good uck!