1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Second Post from Newbie in Ventura County CA

Old 02-11-2015, 11:22 PM
Aardvark Ranger
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second Post from Newbie in Ventura County CA

I've been driving a Mini since 2011, when my convertible VW finally shuffled off to glory after 247K miles (actually, I traded it to a neighbor for a case of Pacifico and a six-pack of vanilla cream soda for my co-pilot). The only car out there that came close (convertible, cargo space, fuel efficient) was a Mini. Best thing I ever did, first week driving it I smiled so much it made my face hurt.

As you all know, these machines seriously rock, and owning one has changed my life. My new hobby is 500 mile day trips, looking for roads the highway engineers tied into knots way out in forgotten places. One day in 2012 I was feeling bored, so I threw some gear and my co-pilot into the car and ended up in Chicago via route 66 a week later. I strongly recommend that you do this trip at least once in your Mini (bring the guidebook, not sure if its permitted to say who wrote it here, his initials are J.M.). Be advised, it required almost 2 weeks to get back, a lot to see out there.

2013 was the Apache Trail in AZ, and last year was all over New Mexico and northern AZ.

Next bucket list trips are the Lincoln Highway (NY to SF), the next Mini Takes the States event, and US Route 6 (the Grand Army of the Republic Highway) from Bishop CA to Maine.

Enough about me. If you see a white and black Mini parked in the middle of nowhere with bugs all over it's nose, it's probably me and my co-pilot. Stop and say hello!

Old 02-12-2015, 08:28 AM
thedanman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome, I always wanted to make a trip somewhere with my mini. I don't want to put mile on it because i want to keep it for a while, but i do want to make a day trip. I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia. Around 15 minutes from Delaware river and 20 minutes from Trenton, NJ. So i have plenty of awesome roads that i gotta joy ride

Old 02-12-2015, 08:29 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Aardvark Ranger
(actually, I traded it to a neighbor for a case of Pacifico and a six-pack of vanilla cream soda for my co-pilot).
Killer deal you negotiated. I bet the negotiations were at a stalemate until he threw in the sixer of cream soda. Well done.

You're luck to be in an area where 500 miles will bring you such a big variety of scenery.