1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nervous about getting my new MINI tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 02:53 PM
studio410
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GoThingNC
I sold my 05 GLI for an 06 MCS and had the same thought you had but a week after owning the MINI I have no regrets; just miss the Recaro seats.
I am not sure what my seats were in my GTI. They were the best ones you could get though (leather). Amazingly comfortable. I do miss them.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:00 PM
RSchleder
3rd Gear
Why?

I have one simple question---WHY do people buy a car that they have doubts about? Why, why, why, I just don't get it! If you have doubts, buy something you really like, not something you HOPE you can grow to like. Then come here for reassurance or hints on how you can like the car you bought more tomorrow then you do today! Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh here, however, I've owned well over 100 cars in my long life and can honestly say I never bought a car that I was doubting in any way prior to signing the papers. Not to say I didn't get burned occasionally, but at the time I bought the car, I was 100% sure that it was the one I wanted!

Last edited by RSchleder; 01-28-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:11 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Simple... Love it or leave it be!

Old 01-28-2012, 03:11 PM
studio410
2nd Gear
i obviously have my reasons. is that ok? i have 40K miles to decide if I stay MINI or not. we live once. my MINI is super hot. i bought it because i had driven one a few months ago and thought it was fun. i've had 4 VW's in my life and i wanted to try something different. i only drive European cars, so the selections for my tastes were another GTI/Beetle (I've had both), an Audi TT (no room at all), or the MINI. i am a photographer (and designer, so I like cars with style) and i really liked the barn doors and load-flat interior for all my gear, including the small side door. i got tired of the rear hatch lift in my GTI and always squirming around to get the seats up or down. and the MINI is fun, let's face it. is it perfect? nope. but i'm adjusting. sorry if that offends you. ;-)

Old 01-28-2012, 03:40 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Don't know if that was directed at me? Nothing you say offends me. Hope nothing I said offends you...

I now see you have already picked up your Mini (didn't read the entire thread, just title and start of it). My comment was related to picking it up or running like the wind (IE: Love it or leave it be!). Obviously you have already picked it up. So, hope you love it!

I owned a VW Beetle Turbo with the Audi engine. My experience with VW dealer service was horendous! IMHO you made the right choice.

Better style points with the Mini, lots of room for your design and photo stuff and a kick to drive (I know it is for me, hopefully for you too).

Final words of advice. Don't worry be happy!

Old 01-28-2012, 03:47 PM
studio410
2nd Gear
no, no, not at you! :-) you posted as i was still writing.
it was to the "WHY" above yours. i mean, i'm obviously not a total masochist and just went out and bought something i hated, lol.

my beetle had horrible issues. all electrical. was so glad when the lease over (will never lease again because of that - i was stuck for 3 years). after the beetle i the got GTI and it was perfect. that's why reading all these reviews on here i really panicked because i remember all the half days i had to take from work just to get the beetle fixed every time the same things kept breaking. you know?

yup - style points won me over! here i am. in the land of MINI! :-)

Old 01-28-2012, 04:41 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
It's just beginning. It'll grab ya and not let go.
Enjoy and welcome to NAM.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:58 PM
ubfrog
1st Gear
I have read all the above posts and would like to add the following....I have owned many VWs...The last was a GTI VR6 like yours, leather etc. etc...I have a very low miliage 2006 S Mini .....Low miles because it's a pleasure only car...I loved the GTI ....But get the Mini...I have never regretted the change !!!

Old 01-28-2012, 07:49 PM
chloe4ever
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RSchleder
I have one simple question---WHY do people buy a car that they have doubts about? Why, why, why, I just don't get it! If you have doubts, buy something you really like, not something you HOPE you can grow to like. Then come here for reassurance or hints on how you can like the car you bought more tomorrow then you do today! Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh here, however, I've owned well over 100 cars in my long life and can honestly say I never bought a car that I was doubting in any way prior to signing the papers. Not to say I didn't get burned occasionally, but at the time I bought the car, I was 100% sure that it was the one I wanted!
I agree with you. Buying a car is such a personal and huge decision and one should be certain sure BEFORE they buy the car. Not after the purchase and then give themselves a heart attack about it. And I don't thing that anybody should be offended that you brought up this valid point

Old 01-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Minian
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you own a Clubman there's one thing you must do if you have an "S", and that is change your oil. Do not follow the recommended milage changes. Change the oil sooner. The turbos deteriorate the oil sooner than you think. I have looked at many blown engines at a local dealer. The oil looked crude. I'm sure you've seen the recall on the turbos. It's a great car overall if you're not hard on it, but I'll stick with the bullet proof R53. They have issues too, but not as much as the R56. I can't wait to see what the 3rd Gen brings to the table. Overall you have stepped up, and you'll love your resale value when/if you trade it in. Just my thoughts.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:47 AM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree, 5,000 miles is a good time to change the oil, gives you more opportunties to keep the the bottom of the engine clean

Prior owner of my MINI changed it around the 5,000 mile interval.

VW has the same schedule with their non-tdi turbos.

Now why won't MINI bring a diesel to the US

Old 01-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Minian
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GoThingNC
I agree, 5,000 miles is a good time to change the oil, gives you more opportunties to keep the the bottom of the engine clean

Prior owner of my MINI changed it around the 5,000 mile interval.

VW has the same schedule with their non-tdi turbos.

Now why won't MINI bring a diesel to the US
Read this http://www.motoringfile.com/2012/01/...us/#more-22190

Old 01-30-2012, 03:52 AM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Minian
Great!!

Hopefully they will expand the offer to the other Cooper & clubman platform shortly afterwards.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:56 AM
studio410
2nd Gear
Since you own a Clubman there's one thing you must do if you have an "S", and that is change your oil. Do not follow the recommended milage changes. Change the oil sooner. The turbos deteriorate the oil sooner than you think.
agreed. my GTI drank oil more than the service schedule said (i drive how these cars are intended, lol). good to know i should watch the MINI's oil the same way. thanks.

oh, mine wasn't part of the recall. not sure how it's decided which ones are recalled, but mine is safe from that.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:03 AM
studio410
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ubfrog
I have read all the above posts and would like to add the following....I have owned many VWs...The last was a GTI VR6 like yours, leather etc. etc...I have a very low miliage 2006 S Mini .....Low miles because it's a pleasure only car...I loved the GTI ....But get the Mini...I have never regretted the change !!!

:-)

i'm not regretting, in fact, after 2 sunny days (with the sun roof open, in january!) i am loving it! i think my taking it home in the dark, in the pouring rain, on a busy highway near NYC during rush hour just didn't bode well with me. a new car, not able to see the highway well (all the spray from tractor trailers), not knowing how the car really handles... it was scary!! then, the second day i had it we had intense fog and rain. our last two days of nice weather allowed me to get to know the car more, get a little silly with it, see how it handles, etc... really, really happy with it!

Old 01-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Cotnballs2000
2nd Gear
You should let the turbo cool down and engine idle for about a minute prior to shutting it down. This will extend the life of the turbo.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:50 PM
studio410
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Cotnballs2000
You should let the turbo cool down and engine idle for about a minute prior to shutting it down. This will extend the life of the turbo.
ok, thanks for the tip.
never heard of this before.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:02 PM
cmbtmini
2nd Gear
be prepared to loose the fillings in your teeth but hit a corner right and you'll forget about 'em fillings...enjoy. I still have the 02 MC and the 05 MCS JCW I purchased used and I plan on being buried in mine....lol

Old 01-30-2012, 06:29 PM
studio410
2nd Gear
HA! :-)

i'm getting more and more comfortable with the car. getting more and more daring with corners and passing. ;-) next week it'll be like an old favorite pair of jeans. can't wait!!!

i'm thinking this car could be the keeper. i've always wanted to keep one of my cars forever, and this one could be it! though i still want a 60's Karmann Ghia too. not sure how i'd be buried in both... hmmm...

Old 02-01-2012, 11:40 AM
shutterblader
Neutral
Hey, I'm new to Mini too and coming from 10+ years of VW ownership! Sounds like you're enjoying yours. I had a '01 Golf 1.8t and I'm looking to replace my 2008 R32 with the mini. What generation GTi did you have?

Old 02-01-2012, 12:12 PM
studio410
2nd Gear
Sweet! I was seriously thinking about the custom order of the 2012 R32 (err, Golf R) this past fall. But I've had the same VW body style for so many years so I decided to go MINI for a change. Jealous of your R32 though. AWD in a small, sporty car (and with an Audi V6) is super sweet. :-)

I had a 2006 New GTI 2.0.

YES - realllly enjoying the MINI. Loooving. Like, loooooove. :-)

What MINI do you have or are you getting?

Old 02-01-2012, 12:49 PM
shutterblader
Neutral
I'm getting a 2007 MCS in British Racing Green and 6-spd. I really like the interior and I just test drove one and it was a blast. Looking forward to not spending so much on gas too.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:51 PM
shutterblader
Neutral

Here it is.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:01 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Since you own a Clubman there's one thing you must do if you have an "S", and that is change your oil. Do not follow the recommended milage changes. Change the oil sooner. The turbos deteriorate the oil sooner than you think. I have looked at many blown engines at a local dealer. The oil looked crude. I'm sure you've seen the recall on the turbos. It's a great car overall if you're not hard on it, but I'll stick with the bullet proof R53. They have issues too, but not as much as the R56. I can't wait to see what the 3rd Gen brings to the table. Overall you have stepped up, and you'll love your resale value when/if you trade it in. Just my thoughts.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Originally Posted by studio410
HA! :-)

i'm getting more and more comfortable with the car. getting more and more daring with corners and passing. ;-) next week it'll be like an old favorite pair of jeans. can't wait!!!

i'm thinking this car could be the keeper. i've always wanted to keep one of my cars forever, and this one could be it! though i still want a 60's Karmann Ghia too. not sure how i'd be buried in both... hmmm...
Never saw 99 drive Get Smarts car! (Had a 67 Ghia Convert - sad I ever sold it... )

Glad to hear you are making a comfortable groove in your new Mini seat that fits just right.