1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nervous about getting my new MINI tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 04:36 PM
studio410
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nervous about getting my new MINI tomorrow

Hello. I'm new here. Not sure how many people read/reply on a daily basis, feel a little silly if I write this and there are crickets, lol. Anyway, I did have a concern I was looking for advice on. Well, not advice, I guess comforting, or maybe even a "run, RUN away while you can!"

I am currently a GTI owner. LOVE my car. It's my most favorite car I've ever owned. I have a full loaded one with leather so it's like driving a luxury car (not that boyish plaid interior). It's just at the point that warranties are expiring and will need new tires, brakes, exhaust, etc this year. Nothing major, but in the line of work I do I like to have low mile cars so I don't have to worry about getting to my contracted jobs. So, my options were to get a new GTI or try a MINI! Since I've owned a few VW's I figured I'd just do it, just go for it and get the MINI. If I don't like it I can always trade it in for a new GTI in a year or two. Right? ;-)

I found a used 2011 with super low miles. Owned by someone at the BMW headquarters. Feel good about the car overall. BUT THEN... I started reading the forum here. And I started seeing all the posts about how bad these cars are for quite a number of people. I am now nervous about picking up the car tomorrow.

I'm smart enough to understand these three things:
1. Complainers OR people who have been wronged will voice their opinions many times over people who are happy. It's human nature to be content and say nothing until something goes wrong, then watch out world.
2. No car is perfect, there is always something with every manufacturer.
3. Some people get bum cars. Like the people were asleep on the assembly line that day. And even a lot of cars in a bad production year some people will luck out with a good one.

It seems like there are a lot of major issues people have had with cars that don't seem to be that old. Thankfully, mine is not part of the recall that will be happening next month, so that is a good sign right from the start.

However... I'm still scared. Should I be?

My new MINI: 2011 S Clubman

Thanks for reading!!

Old 01-25-2012, 06:49 PM
peterpan101
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I've only had mine about a month and did have a airbag warning(dealer replaced fuse) but I've wanted a MINI for a while and I really enjoy it. I say get the MINI

Old 01-25-2012, 06:59 PM
serious breakfast
1st Gear
As long as full warranty exists, then I say go for it. You are right that people usually don't share the good experiences they have (although I was happy to see that there is an "everything was ok today" thread here on NAM!) and that some of the bad experiences seem... real bad. But, again, if the warranty is there... why not.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:20 PM
studio410
2nd Gear
Yes, full warranty.
Car has 10K on it.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Nrob
3rd Gear
Oh jeez, the only people who get on here and post are the people who have a problem. For every negative post on here there are 10 people very happy with their MINI and are NOT posting because they are out motoring!

Just go for it!

Old 01-25-2012, 07:32 PM
serious breakfast
1st Gear
DOOOO EEEEEEEEET.

If you are that concerned, buy a good extended warranty or see if you can have it certified (I think the program is Mini Next?). The person you are buying it from may be able to give you more info on that.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:44 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of the people I know who have MINIs are very pleased with them and don't have problems at all. I adore mine. Keep a good eye on the oil, don't tear up the track, and you'll be fine I am sure. But do keep the warranty up... we bought extended warranty and maintenance. I'd do that with any make of car these days. :-)

Joanie and Winnie the MINI

Old 01-26-2012, 04:51 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
I had read NAM daily for 6 years before getting my 2012 last August. As you can imagine, I was totally nervous based on the negativity on the board.

Since taking delivery of my car, not only have I had no problems, I quickly realized that 99% of the issues that people complain about are completely overblown. In a few cases, I'm convinced they don't exist.

Do note that most people who show up to complain either have zero posting history or a huge list of mods in their sigs.

As Nrob said, for every complainer, there are probably 10 people with no issues, though I'd guess that number is closer to 100-1. Keep up with regular maintenance and I think you will be fine.

Motor on, don't let manufactured negativity ruin your experience!

Jon

Old 01-26-2012, 05:21 AM
Tank251
4th Gear
I never owned a GTI. But I love my MINI. Best car I have ever owned. Of course its new so no issues and I will see how it does long term. But this car is fun.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:40 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
I bought a used 07 MCS with 57K on it and no warranty. Only had 2 issues which I expect some things on a used car. Outside of that (about $1000 in repairs), I'm very satisfied with mine. Lots of fun to drive and handling is just GREAT.
Doesn't matter how well you check something out you can still run into an issue. Not just on Mini's but any used car.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Gitmoe
3rd Gear
Im a big VW fan. My MK3 Golf was one of my favorite cars ever. Before I got my Clubman S I looked at a new GTI as a comparison. The MINI just seems to be more solid than the GTI. I wanted a car with a heritage and a great owner's group. Both VW and MINI have that.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:31 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Mini Coopers always score well in owner satisfaction surveys.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:34 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
You are getting a Clubman? Be very afraid!!

Just kidding! You will have a warranty and everything will (probably) be just fine.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:05 AM
studio410
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
You are getting a Clubman? Be very afraid!!
HA!

Thank you everyone!!! Thank you, thank you.
Glad to hear from previous GTI/VW owners too.

The one I am getting is a 2011 with 10K miles on it, so the dealer said it's too new to be "certified" because it still has the free maintenance, all the original warranties, etc.

I get it in a few hours. I may shed a tear over my GTI, but I am super excited (not nervous now, thank you all) to get the MINI. :-)

Old 01-26-2012, 09:06 AM
studio410
2nd Gear
Now... on to the important issues... what roof graphic to get... hmmm... ;-)

Old 01-26-2012, 09:18 AM
RSchleder
3rd Gear
Don't worry, be HAPPY!!!! If I never bought the cars, or RV's, that folks are squaking about on various forums, I'd be riding a bicycle and camping in a tent. These cars are great, a lot of fun, and if you keep up with the maintenance schedule, very manageable to own and repair.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Charlie Victor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As another VW driver who also has a 2011 Clubman S, I'd say go for it! The only trouble I've had with my Clubman was a wind leak around the window in the driver's door, and after the dealership replaced the window seal under warranty the problem was solved. Coming from a VW, there may be things that take getting used to. For me, it was the inability to easily change the wiper interval and no control over the heated mirrors - annoying (to me), but not show-stoppers. Let us know how you like your new Clubman!

Old 01-26-2012, 09:27 AM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I sold my 05 GLI for an 06 MCS and had the same thought you had but a week after owning the MINI I have no regrets; just miss the Recaro seats.

I actually feel like I have more head and leg room inside the MINI.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Cotnballs2000
2nd Gear
I just bought a 2012 GTI. I have about 1100 miles on it and love it. I got a really good end of year deal on it and 1.9% for 60 months. I have owned many air cooled VWs and two Jettas. We have a CM on order and we have not decided to take delivery of it or not after researching it over the past two months we have been waiting for it. If we do get it we will probably lease it and give it back after the contract unless it proves uber reliable.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:51 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cotnballs2000
I just bought a 2012 GTI. I have about 1100 miles on it and love it. I got a really good end of year deal on it and 1.9% for 60 months. I have owned many air cooled VWs and two Jettas. We have a CM on order and we have not decided to take delivery of it or not after researching it over the past two months we have been waiting for it. If we do get it we will probably lease it and give it back after the contract unless it proves uber reliable.
We (probably) won't hold it against you for buying a VW. Pics of the new GTI would be nice...

Old 01-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Cotnballs2000
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
We (probably) won't hold it against you for buying a VW. Pics of the new GTI would be nice...
I really dig Mini's also just the factory scares me. Our CM docks on Saturday in Cali. My salesman is bugging the hell out of us about accessories but no way I'm paying labor to get them put on by the dealer.

I got the windows tinted and the clear bra done since the photo. Waiting for the tune from APR to go on sale again. Im going going stage II (3" exhaust, intercooler, stage II tune and intake ) until warranty runs out then stage III+

Old 01-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Jeremy Brooks
3rd Gear
You will always see the worst case problems here, because people turn to the forum when they have problems. The MINI has a warranty, so go for it!

We had a 2006 Cooper S, and when it was time to find a new car we test drove a GTI. It felt like a toy compared to our MINI. You are going to love your MINI. But I will warn you now, it will ruin your enjoyment of other vehicles. :-)

Old 01-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Evasive
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that many people post to inquire about an issue they're experiencing. For every one person having issues, there are thousands that are not. They just don't post how flawless their car is that day. However, issues posted here are data to consider. It doesn't mean your car will suffer from the same issue but a pattern or trend exist increasing the likelihood that you may encounter the same issue. Any car forum is pretty much the same way.

Good luck and enjoy your clubman!

Old 01-28-2012, 02:45 PM
studio410
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jeremy Brooks
We had a 2006 Cooper S, and when it was time to find a new car we test drove a GTI. It felt like a toy compared to our MINI. You are going to love your MINI. But I will warn you now, it will ruin your enjoyment of other vehicles. :-)
I find this soooo funny because I am having anxiety about the loss of my GTI. I actually had messed up dreams last night and woke up mid-dream of me at the VW dealer ordering a GTI Autobahn! LOL.

I am having trouble adjusting to the more 'toy'-like drive of the MINI. I felt my GTI was more luxurious (even though so sporty), and more serious-like fun, with much quicker/smoother shifting. My MINI feels 'super cute' but not serious. I know this is ME and MY thinking because I am in an adjustment period. I just didn't expect such resistance from myself internally! I'm determined to 'get over it' though. ;-)

Anyway, we had a gorgeous day here today in New England. It was in the 50's!!! It was perfect because my first 2 days with the car it poured rain. It wasn't fun learning a new car in the dark and in the rain. I smiled at the dealer picking it up. And I hadn't smiled again until today. I had the sunroof open, windows cracked, and a smile on my face. :-)

Old 01-28-2012, 02:48 PM
studio410
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Charlie Victor
Coming from a VW, there may be things that take getting used to. For me, it was the inability to easily change the wiper interval and no control over the heated mirrors - annoying (to me), but not show-stoppers. Let us know how you like your new Clubman!

WOW - we are in sync on that one. My first drive home was in the dark in the pouring rain and I fought the wipers the whole way home. Of course, in the back of my mind I was crying and fearing I made a horrible a mistake by leaving VW, lol. ;-)

Quick Reply: Nervous about getting my new MINI tomorrow