North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   1st Gear (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/1st-gear-114/)
-   -   Inside The Port Hueneme Vehicle Distribution Center (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/1st-gear/21112-inside-the-port-hueneme-vehicle-distribution-center.html)

mini-t 01-30-2004 06:14 PM

excellent photo tour! gosh, i'm really curious as to what happens to the damaged cars (i.e., mini with crushed roof) which are fixed to bmw/mini specs? is there a way we, as consumers, can tell if we have a car that is pure and untouched before we receive it?! i don't mind a missing antenna that is replaced later but a new roof or a new engine seems like a big deal!

cynthetiq 02-03-2004 09:06 AM

thank you. that was very cool to see.

MiniCooperJD 02-14-2004 02:58 AM

Great pics and story! Thanks.

letsmotor 02-15-2004 09:50 AM

awesome write-up and pictures

it's like I'm there :smile:

dave 02-17-2004 07:51 AM

I was contacted by AutoSpies about this post. The pictures and text from this post were used (with permission) in the most recent AutoSpies Newsletter.

My Pictures on AutoSpies

05JCWS 02-17-2004 08:12 AM

>>I was contacted by AutoSpies about this post. The pictures and text from this post were used (with permission) in the most recent AutoSpies Newsletter.
>>
>>My Pictures on AutoSpies

Autospies indicated that there is another port in New Jersey. There is also one in Spartanburg, SC for the Southern entrance port of Charleston, SC.

Spartanburg, SC is also the BMW manufacturing plant for all the Z4 and X5 vehicles.

jeffreyevens 02-28-2004 01:14 AM

great pictures of the tour dave. nice to see the process our mini's go through before we recieve them. i love my mini, but in my view the 2002 bmw is one of the coolest sedans built,looks super in red. :smile: :smile:

thanks,jeff

MINI_Dreamer 02-28-2004 12:19 PM

Wow -- that was an awesome post. Thanks for all the hard work, that was definintely educational. I can see I wasn't the only one sad about the poor MINI with the crushed roof!!! :cry:

BoopedrivesmyMINI 02-29-2004 10:42 AM

looks like a good tour fellas......

thanks for the photos......very cool! :grin:

nlsmini 03-18-2004 10:27 AM

love the tour!! cool thing is, i live right down the street from the distribution center, so i can go over there and watch all the minis all day long!! :smile: im still dying to get one!! :smile:

ABTsportsline 03-23-2004 10:02 AM

love the pics DiD!

i am wary about the crushed mini.... BMW is pulling a fast-one on someone there. The thing is, this car will have a brand new title when one is issued, because it was never wrecked under an ownership.... I for one would not want a vehicle that had to have a roof replaced. No matter how good that shop is, integrity is then sacrificed somewhere, fit-and-finish won't be the same as factory. I hope that car becomes a "demo" or "test driver" somewhere then!

the 6-series looks sharp.

great pics, thanks!

-ABT-

SgianDhu 04-13-2004 02:34 PM

DBGZ:

"I did not find out the damage to my car until after I purchased my vehicle"

How did you find out about the damage/repairs?

LagunaSol 07-12-2004 06:30 PM

Great pics, but what are a bunch of Toyota Camry Solaras doing at a BMW distribution center? :)

OK, I'll admit it, I'm not a fan of the new BMW designs, including the new 6... :razz:

Sportty 08-11-2004 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by LagunaSol
Great pics, but what are a bunch of Toyota Camry Solaras doing at a BMW distribution center? :)

OK, I'll admit it, I'm not a fan of the new BMW designs, including the new 6... :razz:

LOL ... I had the same thought ... I hope BWM doesn't turn the Mini into an Echo on the next update!

MiniTX 05-02-2006 07:00 PM

I bought new a 2001 BMW 330i new from a dealer in Houston. My wife had the car in for service and asked for a trade in apprasial since she keeps mentioning a X3. In the apprasial, they deducted $600 because the hood had been repainted. I was livid since the hood had never been damaged or repainted. I called the original dealer and they claimed they had no record of any pre-sale damage or repairs. I said I wanted to speak to and meet with the BMW area rep.

Hate to say it, it was a total joke trying to coordinate him being at the dealer for him to see the car and look at it. I finally gave up, but needless to say was not too thrilled that BMW did this repair and a BMW dealer had the huevos to deduct $600 for the re-painting of the hood. Nor was I thrilled with the complete lack of customer service from BMW North America when I questioned the whole matter.

When I pick-up my MCS next week, I am going to ask for a written statement that the car is "New" and a disclosure of any repairs done prior to my taken possession.

Minitee 05-03-2006 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by MiniTX
When I pick-up my MCS next week, I am going to ask for a written statement that the car is "New" and a disclosure of any repairs done prior to my taken possession.

Great idea MiniTX, let me know how that goes. I'd like to do the same.

MiniTX 05-03-2006 11:55 AM

I already spoke to my Mini dealer and they said they will give the print out of anything showing if any repairs were done in Charleston at the distribution center.

goldcountrymini 05-03-2006 12:14 PM

That's a great idea. Thanks for the info. I think that I'm going to do the same thing... We have a 2006 MCSC CR/B on order to sit next to my 2004 MCS DS/B... We should be taking delivery within the next month.

blacknblue 05-03-2006 12:32 PM

I hate when old threads are resurrected like this.
Was hoping new posts had something to do with thread title since Port Hueneme isn't very far from here. :sad:

Pep'r 06-07-2006 06:49 PM

Thanks for a great tour:thumbsup: How did you get on the invitation list? I would love to see an operation like that.

tekron 09-23-2006 10:10 AM

Is there any way someone can send me a link directly to the videos of the vehicles at the distribution center? I tried clicking on them from the owner's lounge but it says they're not available on the server. If someone can download one and maybe upload it to www.yousendit.com and post the link here, it'd be much appreciated. Thanks!

89AKurt 09-23-2006 07:37 PM

First time I've seen this. Great photo album showing a part of MINI operations.

BECOKA 10-04-2006 01:43 PM

Wow, thanks for the post. I really almost felt l was visiting there myself.

racinggreen 11-14-2006 09:51 AM

What a great tour you had, one in a million!

miniGarfield 12-06-2006 01:59 PM

wow those are awesome pictures!!!