1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forgive my noobie newbiness but I have a few questions ...

Old 07-02-2009, 01:48 PM
budoboy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgive my noobie newbiness but I have a few questions ...

I have already been on this forum and over at mini2.com for a month or so and have figured out the main R56 problems (melting hood scoop, cold start chatter, cosmoline dripping, seatbelt issues, etc.)

I've looked into the performance mods some and it seems the R53 guys have the formula down for getting more power. Is there an established path to get more power for the R56s? Seems like there isn't a handheld tuner (big minus), there isn't a widely accepted/tested larger turbo and catbacks and CAI seem to be user preference.

Can somebody who has been here for a while tell me what is the best/proven route for horsepower increase in the R56? I'll have a Clubman S but figure the motor will be the same (just different exhaust piping).

Also are there any must haves that people buy/take care of after buying the car? I already bought some non-runflats.

Thanks and sorry again for asking such noob questions.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have no answers for you, but rather a question. If you are so concerned about performance, why did you get a clubman? The added weight will hurt straight line speed and the added wheelbase wlll hurt (although it will still handle great) handling.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:17 PM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
Congrats on getting a Clubbie! The added weight is less than 200lbs...(166 to be exact) so that shouldnt hurt much. I have the same car and have so far done an ALTA intake, ALTA intercooler, ALTA cat back exhaust, and currently the Unichip ECU (which will be swapping for the new ALTA ecu mod when available. I can DEFINITELY tell a performance difference from stock and LOVE the intake/blowoff valve sound and the exhaust note. If youre seriously looking you might want to take advantage of our current fourth of July sale. Please let me know if I can be of more help!!

Old 07-02-2009, 02:55 PM
budoboy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026
I have no answers for you, but rather a question. If you are so concerned about performance, why did you get a clubman? The added weight will hurt straight line speed and the added wheelbase wlll hurt (although it will still handle great) handling.
My wife likes it. We also got the automatic (for her) so you can bag on that as well. We have a 4-year-old who will probably take after 6'8" dad so we'll probably need the rear leg room sooner than later.

If I wanted a pure performance car I wouldn't buy a mini or a Dodge Charger. Cars are always a compromise with me of needs vs. wants.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:57 PM
budoboy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Jarid
Congrats on getting a Clubbie! The added weight is less than 200lbs...(166 to be exact) so that shouldnt hurt much. I have the same car and have so far done an ALTA intake, ALTA intercooler, ALTA cat back exhaust, and currently the Unichip ECU (which will be swapping for the new ALTA ecu mod when available. I can DEFINITELY tell a performance difference from stock and LOVE the intake/blowoff valve sound and the exhaust note. If youre seriously looking you might want to take advantage of our current fourth of July sale. Please let me know if I can be of more help!!
Thanks. Probably need to wait a few months before spending more money. Have you had your clubbie dynoed (before and/or after)?

Old 07-02-2009, 03:03 PM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
Originally Posted by budoboy
Thanks. Probably need to wait a few months before spending more money. Have you had your clubbie dynoed (before and/or after)?
Havent dyno'd it yet but knowing the mods I am pretty confident its around the 200hp mark. Hopefully going to dyno it soon!!

Old 07-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by budoboy
My wife likes it. We also got the automatic (for her) so you can bag on that as well. We have a 4-year-old who will probably take after 6'8" dad so we'll probably need the rear leg room sooner than later.

If I wanted a pure performance car I wouldn't buy a mini or a Dodge Charger. Cars are always a compromise with me of needs vs. wants.
I was just wondering. No need to get pissy. And to the automatic thing, I have a 03' Cooper Automatic sitting out front, so no problems with auto's either. It just seemed like you want faster faster faster, so adding extra weight seemed a little odd.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:30 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Corolla IM. Fun, functional, efficient, quirky. Not sure about the fit for a "big guy", nor how well it eats up the miles.

Alternatively, he might consider a VW Golf with the EA888 gen 3 TSI powerplant. Reliability seems decent at this point, and nothing in the price point will eat-up the miles better. They are truly a pleasure to be in, especially on long drive. It's not artsy, but it's tasteful and refined.

Why in the world anyone would consider a Crosstrek for this commute and geographical location is beyond me.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:00 PM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigChill
Corolla IM. Fun, functional, efficient, quirky. Not sure about the fit for a "big guy", nor how well it eats up the miles.

Alternatively, he might consider a VW Golf with the EA888 gen 3 TSI powerplant. Reliability seems decent at this point, and nothing in the price point will eat-up the miles better. They are truly a pleasure to be in, especially on long drive. It's not artsy, but it's tasteful and refined.

Why in the world anyone would consider a Crosstrek for this commute and geographical location is beyond me.

I suspect you are responded to my August posting but it got applied to a much older post.

My brother had a VW and it needed many thousands in repairs in the few years he owned it. (Including a new engine, drive train, transmission, cat. converter, two instrument displays and many more.) Anything by VW is out of the question. With a 250 mile commute each way (once a week) he can't deal with being without a vehicle. The VW left him stranded several times. Interestingly, his prior vehicle, a Saturn L100, which is not know for reliability, gave him no problems in 500,000 miles.

I was thinking of some of the new small SUVs with two wheel drive: Kia Niro, Honda HR-V, Hyundai Kona and so on. He decided to go with the Crosstrek so he could tow a small trailer with glassblowing equipment. With the towing requirement, his options were extremely limited. My goal was to help him avoid some of the really bad decisions. (I think Jeep was also on his list along with the MINI.) The Crosstrek should be a reasonable vehicle for him in the long-run.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:19 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
SubForum Description: 1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.

Please use this subform for the use intended. If you need technical/performance advice or guidance, there are other more appropriate sections on the Forum.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:57 PM
I like mini clubman's
4th Gear
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
This thread is ten years old...