North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   1st Annual MINIs in the Mountains (2006) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/1st-annual-minis-in-the-mountains-2006-155/)
-   -   MITM Final Checklist!! (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/1st-annual-minis-in-the-mountains-2006/74270-mitm-final-checklist.html)

jsouz 07-22-2006 04:48 AM

MITM Final Checklist!!

This checklist is provided for MITM attendees so that you can arrive in Colorado well prepared for MITM. Please let us know if you have questions - we will update here as needed:
  • Register for MITM. Basic Registration open until day of event
  • FRAPPR yourself on our FRAPPR map, right here in NAM
  • RSVP with Copper Mountain Resort for your lodging. Right here in NAM, use the phone # and MITM code we provide
  • RSVP for the Friday night Sponsor Dinner. No tickets are available at the door.
  • RSVP for the Saturday night Vendor Dinner. No tickets are available at the door.
  • Check the Threads in our Forum for caravans coming this way. There may be others traveling from your area.
  • Order your MITM cap in advance. Limited supplies, they are only $14 now. Right here in our threads.
Good ideas on how to prepare for MITM:
  • Bring a sweatshirt and or light jacket, no matter what you think. 5280 feet is one thing - - 8,500 ft in the evening can be cool. 14,264 ft up Mt. Evans is always, um, chilly. Be forewarned.
  • Sunglasses and Sunscreen. We are closer to the sun than you are. There is no sweat here to temper the sun. It is pure rays.
  • Water bottles. We drink constantly here. Humidity sometimes can be as low as 10%.
  • Ladies, one word: Lotion.
  • 2-way radios. Channel 7 sub 21. Extra batteries.
  • Camera, well charged, and batteries if needed.
  • Beer for the MITM Mountain Brewfest.
  • Driving manners. This in NOT NASCAR. Copper Mountain Resort is a big resort. You will find that as you enter the resort, the golf course is on both sides of the road. Please do not test the db of your exhaust in this area, or any area.
Plan to arrive at CMR Copper Mountain Resort any time after NOON on Thursday. Of course, if you arrive sooner, we will be there but we are targeting registration at that time. Each vehicle will need to sign in (insurance, you know) and pick up a registration packet. Rides are available immediately as are all the CMR events, activities, and so on.

When you drive into Copper Mountain Resort, you will be on Copper Road. It will wind past the golf course (please drive slowly - there are bikers, walkers and golf carts all over the road here) and it will come to a stop at Ten Mile Circle. The REGISTRATION building is on your right at that intersection, the PAINTBALL COURT is on your right, etc. Pull in, park, come on upstairs and register. If your are using CMR lodging, PLEASE GO HERE FIRST TO CHECK IN. If you are NOT using CMR lodging, then you can skip this step.

Once you register, leave the REGISTRATION BUILDING. Take Ten Mile Circle one block, and you will see the PARKING STRUCTURE on your left. Pull in there, see us at registration, and the fun begins. You can actually SEE the structure from Registration, or you can ask. It is very close. We will also be able to see you from atop the 2 story structure. All attendees MUST REGISTER for the event in advance (insurance) and pick up ID and lanyards at the MITM registration table.

Burning Stones Plaza is just a long block from the Structure. You walk to it, we will not be able to take the MINIs in until Saturday afternoon.

Thanks, hope this helps.

Jonathan

Info@MINI5280.org

kgelner 07-22-2006 12:27 PM

Am I correct in thinking that the REGISTRATION BUILDING is for Copper lodging, while MITM registration itself is only at the parking structure? So folks who aren't staying at Copper need not stop at the REGISTRATION BUILDING first? Or everyone has to stop there regardless?

-Dianne

jsouz 07-22-2006 02:46 PM

You are correct.

The registration building I mention is for those staying at CMR Copper Mountain Resort only. If you are staying at the Hyatt Regency Beaver Creek then you need to go there first, have them valet your car, go up the heated escalators, have the dude with the nice leather gloves and wool coat open the door for you, check out the restrooms with REAL cloth towels, and so on.

Of course, none of that exists at Copper.

MITM Registration is at the parking structure. All MITM registrants, whether using CMR lodging or not, need to come here too to pick up bags. This is also the starting point for all of the rides, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks for the clarification.

JPS

thebluecanary 07-24-2006 06:27 AM

Do you have any better directions to Copper then what is on thier website? I know its I-70, but a little more detail then that would be nice. An address would be better. I GPS EVERYTHING.

jsouz 07-24-2006 06:49 AM

Uh....sure we do!

Leaving St. Louis, take I-70 west until you hit Copper Mountain. That is it. No turns.

Seriously...CMR Copper Mtn Resort is not in a town, and does not have a PO address. Well, a box. It has a zip code of 80443. When I say you can't miss it....you can't miss it.

The best things to NAV with are Dillon, CO (10 miles east), Silverthorne, CO (10 miles east, same exit, other side of the highway) and Frisco, CO (8 miles east, 2 exits on the Interstate). Between Frisco and Copper is...nothing. Just a fast, winding Interstate. You can easily top 120.

Rick did just post some GOOGLE EARTH coordinates...I will see if he can add them here. Seriously, there is a dedicated exit for Copper Mtn, it is the same as the highway to Leadville, US 91.

When you exit at Copper (off US 91) you will turn right on Copper Road. There is only one way in, one way out. This is it. Wind around less than 1/2 mile and the Registration building is at the stop sign, on your right. The parking structure is a left turn there, on your left. It is all very tidy.

If you need an ecopy of the Summer Village Map, send me your email, I will send it back. Cannot post it here....

Hope that helps.....

Jonathan

thebluecanary 07-24-2006 07:01 AM

I can get lost ANYPLACE, even with my NAV. And I will be coming from Denver actually. =P Stopping there a day early to see my brother, eat his food, drink his beer, sleep in his guest bed. The off to the event the next morning. How long of a drive do you think it is between Denver and Copper?

jsouz 07-24-2006 07:06 AM

Depending where you are in Denver

that will determine the timing. And, the time of day you leave...will greatly determine the timing.

Should you leave after 8:30 or so, there will not be traffic issues unless someone carelessly kissed a guardrail. Otherwise, from SE Park Meadows, 1:30. From N, say 120th, 1:30. From Aurora, 1:45 most places.

You will want to take the WESTERN DRAGON on the way up. You get it off I-70 and Evergreen Parkway. See my other posts in this Forum, but generally, you exit Evergreen Parkway, stay a mile or two, past Bergen Park, then right on CO103, Squaw Pass Rd. 31 miles later you hit Mt Evans Road, then continue downhill 15 more to Idaho Springs on Chicago Canyon Rd. Left on I-70 at that point and you are but 45 miles from Copper.

Please do see our other posts.....I have more detail there.

JPS

pauhana 07-27-2006 10:29 PM

GPS Coordinates to Copper Mtn Resort

From Google Earth, the GPS coordinates (hopefully it's the WGS-84 coordinate system):

39 deg, 30 min, 14.31 sec, North
106 deg, 08 min, 29.65 sec, West

Gets you just off I-70 at Colorado 91. The entrance to Copper Mtn is on your right, shortly after exiting the Interstate. You'll be able to find it with one hand tied behind your back.
Rick