1st Annual MINIs in the Mountains (2006) Ready for some high altitude fun? Learn all about the newest national MINI event!

where is everyone driving from?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 06:52 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are coming from Dallas, consider these alternatives:

1. Get off I-25 at Pueblo, and take the route thru Florence and Canyon City (wanna see Super Max, where all the bad boys, including the UnaBomber, are passing time??) then up thru Victor and Cripple Creek, then thru the valley past the Florissant Fossil Beds, then on up thru Fairplay, thru Breckenridge, then into Copper....

2. Get off I-25 at Colorado Springs (a short 35 mins north of Pueblo) then west past the base of Pike's Peak, past Florissant, thru the Valley, up past Fairplay, Breckenridge, then to Copper....

3. Come to Denver, go around the west side, up thru Evergreen and taking the WESTERN DRAGON, past Mt. Evans, down thru Idaho Springs, then hook up with I-70 for the last 40 miles to

jsouz
6th Gear

1. Get off I-25 at Pueblo, and take the route thru Florence and Canyon City (wanna see Super Max, where all the bad boys, including the UnaBomber, are passing time??) then up thru Victor and Cripple Creek, then thru the valley past the Florissant Fossil Beds, then on up thru Fairplay, thru Breckenridge, then into Copper....

2. Get off I-25 at Colorado Springs (a short 35 mins north of Pueblo) then west past the base of Pike's Peak, past Florissant, thru the Valley, up past Fairplay, Breckenridge, then to Copper....

3. Come to Denver, go around the west side, up thru Evergreen and taking the WESTERN DRAGON, past Mt. Evans, down thru Idaho Springs, then hook up with I-70 for the last 40 miles to Copper.....

You

jsouz
6th Gear

3. Come to Denver, go around the west side, up thru Evergreen and taking the WESTERN DRAGON, past Mt. Evans, down thru Idaho Springs, then hook up with I-70 for the last 40 miles to Copper.....

You choice, let me

jsouz
6th Gear

You choice, let me kow

jsouz
6th Gear

You choice, let me know

jsouz
6th Gear

You choice, let me know which

jsouz
6th Gear

You choice, let me know which route you

jsouz
6th Gear

You choice, let me know which route you prefer,

jsouz
6th Gear

You choice, let me know which route you prefer, we will

jsouz
6th Gear

You choice, let me know which route you prefer, we will map it for you.

jsouz
6th Gear

JPS

jsouz
6th Gear

Jonathan

PS:

jsouz
6th Gear

Jonathan

PS: it is

jsouz
6th Gear

Jonathan

PS: it is faster thru

jsouz
6th Gear

Jonathan

PS: it is faster thru Denver. It is

jsouz
6th Gear

Jonathan

PS: it is faster thru Denver. It is twistier

jsouz
6th Gear

Jonathan

PS: it is faster thru Denver. It is twistier thru

jsouz
6th Gear

1. Get off I-25 at Pueblo, and take the route thru Florence and Canyon City (wanna see Super Max, where all the bad boys, including the UnaBomber, are passing time??) then up thru Victor and Cripple Creek, then thru the valley past the Florissant Fossil Beds, then on up thru Fairplay, thru Breckenridge, then into Copper....this route includes SKYLINE DRIVE a very narrow, 1 way, MINI sized road overlooking Canyon City. Ever noticed the PICTURE up at the top of the NAM home page? The one with the yellow mini? That is Skyline Drive. Takes about 15 minutes, plus picture time. Again, a real nice sidelight and worthy of the trip. You can get to Victor and Cripple Creek up the back way there - very fast and twisty - then end up in Cripple Creek overlooking the entire Valley. Wow.

Jonathan

PS: it is faster thru Denver. It is twistier thru Pueblo.

Old 07-29-2006, 05:32 AM
pauhana
Take the high road
If you're driving from Albuq or Santa Fe, New Mexico...

Suggestion to avoid Interstate highways:
Take Highway 285 from Albuq to Santa Fe, Espanola, Antonito (Colorado) and Alamosa, heading toward Buena Vista. Then get off of 285 (goes more toward Denver) and head into Buena Vista and Leadville on US-24. From Leadville, head north on Colorado 91 toward Copper Mountain Resort. After about 12 miles, Copper is on the left, right before you reach I-70. As an alternative from Leadville, you could also turn north on US-24 toward Minturn and Vail. At I-70, turn right (east) toward Vail. On I-70 thru Vail and over Vail Pass. At the bottom of the pass, Copper Mountain Resort is on the right at Exit 195. This happens to be MITM Ride #1.

Here's a Google map from Albuq to Leadville. Copper is only 12 miles north of Leadville on CO-91 (US-24 thru Leadville turns into CO-91 when you head north, out of Leadville). Here's a Google Map.

Here are the GPS coordinates from Google Earth:
39 deg 29 min 56.82 sec North
106 deg 08 min 29.28 sec West

Rick

Old 07-30-2006, 09:15 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Thanks Pauhana,
Thats almost our route from Santa Fe. Just a slight correction . . .US 285 slips up to Santa Fe from Roswell . . . from Albuquerque one would normally take I-25 to the bypass south of Santa Fe, picking up 285 at Opera Hill. The signs are good on the interstate. Your non-interstate route is faster and shorter and I would encourage all Texans to get up out of the plains and into the mountains here in New Mexico.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:28 PM
pauhana
Take the high road
Thanks for the clarification

I forgot about the bypass. It wasn't there when I lived in SF (born and raised). Actually, I lived in Tesuque just north of SF, a short distance off of 285. I visit SF several times per year, as lots of family and friends are there.

Have fun heading north!
Rick

Old 08-04-2006, 01:00 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
1-day endurance race er... i mean drive from Seattle!!

Old 08-07-2006, 06:16 PM
SandiePepper
6th Gear
Leaving Tuesday

Well I convinced my 18 yr old son to come with me so he could help drive (that was the only reason he agreed) So I decided I wanted to play a little in Reno. We are leaving Tuesday afternoon staying the night in Reno then on to Salt Lake for the night and then Thursday Morning on to Copper Mtn. Yeah it's about time, I thought it would never get here

Old 08-07-2006, 08:10 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SandiePepper
Well I convinced my 18 yr old son to come with me so he could help drive (that was the only reason he agreed) So I decided I wanted to play a little in Reno. We are leaving Tuesday afternoon staying the night in Reno then on to Salt Lake for the night and then Thursday Morning on to Copper Mtn. Yeah it's about time, I thought it would never get here
Have a great drive. I go back and forth between New Mexico and Northern California a couple of times a year now. I now manage to avoid most of the interstates most of the time. Unless your plans are set, you might want to consider US 50 across to the beginning of I-70. I know it is late. See you at MITM.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:39 AM
LiLOreo
1st Gear
I am in Las Vegas now, drove out from St. Louis (1500mi) Thursday I leave here and head to Copper!! That should be about 600 miles.

Quick Reply: where is everyone driving from?