Idea for an event

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 04:47 AM
CoolioMcPimp
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idea for an event

Hi everyone!

I just got my Mini Cooper S in April and am liking it very much! I like it to the point of where I want to make some sort of event.

Me and my friends have a car group we started up. Southern Maine Automotive Group

I haven't talked to the founders yet to see what they think, but I want to do a "Think Mini" meet / show. Hopefully this would attract Minis, Smarts, Scion iQs, Fiats, and other very small cars. All cars would be welcome, but small cars would be most appreciated. Including Original Minis, MGs and other tiny cars from the past as well.

I would probably have it benefit some sort of charity or something.

I am located in Mid-Coast Maine between Bath and Thomaston, but I would probably host the event elsewhere to try to get more people there.

What does everyone think? Sound like a good meet?

There is no location or date in mind yet.

Last edited by CoolioMcPimp; 06-05-2014 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Changed the term Rally to meet
Old 06-05-2014, 07:45 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Any time you can get enthusiasts together for a rally is a good time. I like the idea of making it open to a wide range of sports cars but am a little put off by the idea of Smarts, I just can't see them keeping up with a crowd of MINIs on a run thru the twisties. For some in depth research visit the websites of MINIs in the Mountains, MINIs in the Ozarks, MINIs on the Dragon. Those are well run national rallies that have solid histories and they all attract legions of drivers. For an example, MITO held at Eureka Springs AR in October already has registrants from as far away as WA, MA and FL. Good luck with your idea and remember the seven P's. Proper Prior Planning Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:03 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You also have MINIs On Top right there in that area.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:07 AM
CoolioMcPimp
2nd Gear
Thanks for the advice. When I said rally I was thinking more of just a show / gathering. With the standard bystander voting for Best Inside, Best Outside, Nicest Wheels or whatnot.

Hopefully we could get some burgers and dogs grilling and maybe even other stuff if vendors were willing to help. It would take a bit to organize and promote, but it would be awesome!

Sorry to get your hopes up for actual racing!

Old 06-05-2014, 08:08 AM
CoolioMcPimp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
You also have MINIs On Top right there in that area.
Holy cow! I had no idea this event existed! I kinda want to go to that now. Maybe grab a couple of friends and go over!

Old 06-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Just to clarify, there are rallies and there are rallies. Two different things with the same word kinda like 'tie'. National MINI rallies refers to organized multi day gatherings with a multitude of activities planned. The other rally you are probably thinking of that you refer to as 'racing' is the SCCA type rally, a distance, rate, time competitive one day event. For what you are considering there are hundreds of car shows across the country that started out with a handful and grown to hundreds that people plan to attend well in advance. For ideas on that type of program there are lots of folks across the country that can give you all the help you can stand. Google and/or Dennis Gage can lead you to 'em.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:00 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could also check out whether there are any "Cars & Coffee" type events close to you (can also search on "Octane and Caffeine" or some variant). These wouldn't be limited to small cars, but definitely motorheads. Though no contests - just for gawking pleasure.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:37 AM
pjv1k
3rd Gear
There's also a big fall foliage run in Vermont in October..

Old 12-05-2014, 05:20 AM
CoolioMcPimp
2nd Gear
I really like the idea of a gathering of some sort. I'd like to get most 2 door hatches or coupe models of cars, but I wouldn't limit who can show up. I like cars in general so it wouldn't hurt my feelings for others to show up.

I'd also like to either make it really cheap to come like $10 to get your car in kind of thing. All proceeds toward charity or something. Maybe Paul Walker's ReachOut Worldwide https://www.roww.org/?

I looked into the Mt. Washington Cruise, but it's REALLY expensive. It's already a lot of gas for me on top of the fees below.

MINIs on Top registration fee of $25 per MINI. Auto Road tickets: The drive up the Auto Road on Saturday evening is optional. Every person in the car needs a ticket (under age 5 is free – age 5 to 12 $12.50 and age 13+ $28.50).
My gathering wouldn't have vendors or tents unless people had them and wanted to bring them. MAYBE I'd bring a grill and sell food like burgers, chips and soda. Also maybe a sound system to play background music (which could be a car in itself.

I'm not sure of location yet. Maybe Brunswick, ME if I can find a good lot to start in. I'd say Portland, but that's over and hour and a half away from me. Brunswick is already about an hour away. It's also at least a 1/2 hour for all my friends. Plus Brunswick is only a half hour or less from Portland so people in that area could attend without too much hassle. It sounds like a prime location to me.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:36 AM
CoolioMcPimp
2nd Gear
I'm thinking something that would attract people from these regions in my image. 50 Miles would be my max radius.