Travel Stories Have an interesting trip in your MINI that you want to share with others? Post it here!

Phoenix to east coast and back

Old 09-09-2013, 06:05 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Phoenix to east coast and back

Wife and I recently completed our cross country trip, roughly 5,500 miles in about 30 days. We have a 2012 MCS, started out with about 16k miles on the clock. Folded down the rear seat, plenty of room for luggage and a cooler, off we go.

The route we took was -

Phoenix, Albuquerque, with a stop in Tumcumcari for lunch. We jumped off the Interstate early to follow a section of Route 66. It was like driving thru the Twilight Zone. Mile after mile of old 50's style motels shuttered up. At lunch, landed in Okahoma City. We stayed in OK City for a few days as we have family there. Spent a day downtown, and I have to say WOW. They are way ahead of Phoenix with rebuilding the downtown. If you find yourself in OK City, be sure to visit the 'Brickyard' portion of downtown. Next was Little Rock, then Memphis into Nashville. In Nashville we stopped at the store run by the 'American Pickers' guys. Place was packed with people, looks smaller than on TV, no TV stars to be seen. On to Knoxville, then Asheville NC. Spent a few days in Asheville, historic downtown was a lot of fun. From there to Raleigh, spent a week there with family. We wanted to spend some time on the beach so we headed to Carolina Island then Myrtle Beach. Attached pic is of the mini waiting for the ferry. Next stop, Savannah. Spent several days there, again the downtown historic district is awesome. Recommend you do the trolley, worth the expense. Time to head west for home, on to Atlanta headed for New Orleans. Stayed several days near the French Quarter. More family. While there, we did a Segway tour of the French Quarter, what a hoot. That and raw oysters and lots of drinking (mini stayed in a parking garage the whole time, we walked). Houston, El Paso, Tucson and home. It took two whole days to cross southern Texas, long haul.

Am obviously leaving out a lot, it was a long trip. Took back roads when we could, saw parts of the country I hadn't seen. Became one with Google Maps, can now say I'm a master. Awesome, simply awesome. Some parting mini thoughts -

Pro - zero problems with the mini. We averaged 35 mpg, occasionally up to 38. Being we were in some remote places, I assume a mini dealer would be a long ways away. Didn't burn any oil, though added air to the tires a few times.

Con - road noise. Those run flat tires have got to go. Good thing we have the HK radio, turned it up many times. Hard seat, bottom goes numb after a couple of hours. Next time, will find a good seat cushion.

Next summer we plan to take the West Coast highway from San Diego to Seattle. Happy motoring..

Attached Thumbnails Phoenix to east coast and back-img_20130808_152644.jpg  
Old 09-12-2013, 05:15 PM
TimB
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Made similar trips along that route myself in my old MCS except for the portion east of OK City. I agree, seat cushions are needed!

Old 09-12-2013, 05:27 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
We actually took US 60 from Payson east all the way to Socorro NM, then up to Albuquerque. Just west of Socorro is a huge Radio Antenna farm, quite a sight..

Old 09-28-2013, 09:10 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AZdsrt
Wife and I recently completed our cross country trip, roughly 5,500 miles in about 30 days. We have a 2012 MCS, started out with about 16k miles on the clock. Folded down the rear seat, plenty of room for luggage and a cooler, off we go.

<snip>

Houston, El Paso, Tucson and home. It took two whole days to cross southern Texas, long haul.
"The sun has riz, the sun has set, and here I is, in Texas yet."
- written in chalk inside a boxcar in the 1930s

At least you had that 80 mph speed limit on I-10 to keep you moving!

Sounds like a fun trip.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:25 PM
ShipM8
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Long short trip...

I just did a 3,200 mile solo trip in four days in my 2012 Justa. Sunroof open, music on the whole way. Only stopped for gas between visiting four sets of friends between Grand Rapids, Michigan and Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Last leg was a 19 hour drive covering 1,270 miles.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:35 AM
stephenharper
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only have 3200 km in four days traveling solo I Justa2012th the shutter opens, the music all the way. Between the four groups of friends from afar Grand Rapids, Michigan and Florida Fort Lauderdale, just stop gas.