Travel Stories Have an interesting trip in your MINI that you want to share with others? Post it here!

United States Four Corners Road Trip

Old 03-01-2013, 12:16 PM
lcard008
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
United States Four Corners Road Trip

So I got this crazy idea to drive to all four corners of the United States. First, I thought I would need an SUV or Van, but then I began thinking about my mini and thought, wouldn't it be awesome to do it with "The Mighty One"? Since then, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. Now, the road trip would not happen soon, but I'm making this thread to begin getting ready because this will be a BIG road trip. Also, I believe other people might want to do something similar with their Minis and this would be a great place to get info and recommendations.

The plan is to drive from my hometown, Weston FL, to Maine, then to Washington State, then to California, and finally come back to FL. I estimated some 9,000 to 10,000 miles.

The time: most likely I would do this on the summer of 2014. I want to stop in several National Parks and go hiking and camping. I do photography and video, so it would be great for me. I don't want to have a specific date to leave and come back, but I estimated that 1 month would be enough.

The car: I own a 2012 John Cooper Works (hardtop). As of now it has 10,000 miles, so no problem with that. However, I plan modifying two things for the trip.

1st: Taking out all of the seats. Rear and front passenger. The reason to do this is that I don't want to pay everyday for a room, so sometimes I want to be able to sleep inside the Mini.

2nd: Changing from Run-flats to regular tires and buying a new Rim to have a full spare tire (which I would carry inside where the passenger seat was).

Questions:

1st: I've read that taking out the rear seats is no problem. However, I read that if you take out the front passenger seat the airbag light will turn on. Is there a way to turn it off without having problems with warranty? and if not, does it matter if I make the trip with the airbag light on? Would I lose warranty of some sort?

2nd: What do you guys think about carrying the full spare tire on the floor where the front passenger seats goes, while having a cooler on top of that? I think it's great because I would have easy ato food and drinks, and also it would work to lay my legs on top of it when I'm sleeping inside the car.

3rd: Is it doable this whole thing? Or you guys think it's too tough of a trip to do it in a Mini and sleeping inside of it? Am I going to have a hard time finding spots to park while I sleep in the car? Is it too dangerous to do that?

I appreciate all recommendations from you guys, I really would like to make this happen. Exploring is my passion

Old 03-04-2013, 07:40 AM
nomadwillie
2nd Gear
In the motorcycle world they have a Four Corners Tour (click to read) The SCMA has the exact places to hit for the 4 corners. This would be a great trip especially if you incorporate the National Parks (which is another motorcycle Tour with the IBA ). I really wish the car world had some of these Grand Tours other than the ones that cost Tens of Thousands of dollars.

I have completed the IBA National Park Tour 3 times, one of them being silver which covers Washington, California, Florida and Maine. This is one of the reasons I got a MINI, since we got taken out by a deer in Montana my GF does not have a really easy time gettin on and off the bike. One of the reasons why I got the MINI, to continue these travels.

Is it doable this whole thing? Or you guys think it's too tough of a trip to do it in a Mini and sleeping inside of it?

Your goal to hit the 4 corners in a month is very doable. But if ya got the time enjoy the scenery, especially since you are a photograher. I am looking forward to your RR (Ride Report).

Also get yourself if you don't already have one a GPS that you can send routes to from your PC. Garmin has 2 mapping programs for doing exactly this and they are free, as long as you got the GPS to go with it and it takes routes. One is called MapSource, which is the one I have planned all our motorcycle journeys on.

I would also suggest you start a blog now of your plans and what you have done before you actually start the trip and then try to write and upload some of your photos while you are traveling. If you are interested HERES MINE

Have fun planning this out and then the execution

Willie

Old 03-04-2013, 08:49 AM
nomadwillie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lcard008
So I got this crazy idea to drive to all four corners of the United States. First, I thought I would need an SUV or Van, but then I began thinking about my mini and thought, wouldn't it be awesome to do it with "The Mighty One"?
2nd: Changing from Run-flats to regular tires and buying a new Rim to have a full spare tire (which I would carry inside where the passenger seat was).

Questions:

2nd: What do you guys think about carrying the full spare tire on the floor where the front passenger seats goes, while having a cooler on top of that? I think it's great because I would have easy ato food and drinks, and also it would work to lay my legs on top of it when I'm sleeping inside the car.

Above Edited cause I did

If you change out the run flats to a regular tire, learn how to plug a tire and bring a tire plug kit with you and a pump that works off the cigarette charger.

Or have road service available to you.

Forget the spare tire. YMMV

Willie

Old 04-14-2013, 10:42 AM
RAYGUNZAP
3rd Gear
I think I'd bring a tent....Sleeping in a car sucks!

Old 04-26-2013, 06:35 PM
pdubb
2nd Gear
A friend and I are about to go across the west coast in my cabrio. Don't plan on sleeping in the car at all. We're doing hammocks and if required tents. I think it allows for much more space for other things, that way you don't have to reconfigure your whole car every time you want to sleep. This trip sounds amazing! please write a blog for it!

Old 04-26-2013, 06:54 PM
DegasMini
Neutral
Sounds incredible! I also live in Weston (in Savanna). Just got my Mini about three months ago (R53 Cooper S), but haven't been posting on here too much. I'm looking at taking a road trip in my Mini during the summer to New England - should be fun!

Old 06-28-2013, 11:42 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
interesting idea, I've read stories and blogs about IronButt runs on motorcycles. This seems alot more comfortable.
Thinking of taking a trip to Vegas for CES next year. Would love to take the mini and drive this time.

OP: did you give up the dream?

Old 06-29-2013, 07:48 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
We just got home yesterday from a 4.5K road trip, 16 days, and had a whale of a good time. Top down all the way except one really hot day and two afternoons of downpour. The below URL has a tire repair kit with a bag great for carrying extra cleaning supplies.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

I carried an extra qt of oil and checked fluids every morning before take-off. Took minimum clothes and always found a laundromat close to the motel. I also included an appliance coil brush for knocking off the bugs from the radiators. Any appliance repairman can get you one cheap.
http://www.filtersfast.com/P-GE-Univ...FbNj7AodNh8AGw

Having a co-pilot along to help navigate the more interesting back roads makes the trip a lot more fun than grinding out the boring as he!! interstates.

Very doable but only recognized as done with lots of picture to prove it. Have a great time and keep this thread apprized of your progress/points of interest.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:44 PM
RAYGUNZAP
3rd Gear
Sounds like a great trip! It would even be better, if you can get off the interstate and cruise the twistees across this country.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Question:
Would there be any value in morphing this thread just a little to include friendly/helpful advice for those of us planning a major road trip? Our June trip included meeting up with a forum member along the way and getting a truly memorable tour of his local area. Next spring we're planning a trip down to San Antonio and the next year maybe follow Route 50 west to Route 1 then up the coast from Frisco. Every area has neat stuff that isn't in all the tourist brochures that MINI people know all about.

Open to opinions if the OP will grant a 'by your leave'?

Would a broader purpose for this thread be grounds making it "Sticky"?

Last edited by Fly'n Brick; 09-08-2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Afterthought
Old 04-06-2016, 06:12 AM
Sikness
Neutral
I know this tread is old, but I figured I ask anyways. Did you do the trip?

I have a 2010 mini. I'm planing this exact trip. I'm leaving may 27th and hope to return home with in 3 weeks.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:18 AM
Sikness
Neutral
I know this tread is old, but I figured I ask anyways. Did you do the trip?

I have a 2010 mini. I'm planing this exact trip. I'm leaving may 27th and hope to return home with in 3 weeks.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:18 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
^Thanks for resurrecting this thread^. I'm afraid the OP is gone based upon post count.

I dream of this type of trip, with many long stops at our national parks.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:20 AM
Sikness
Neutral

A picture from my last trip to Montana from ga

Old 04-06-2016, 06:29 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
^dude, you're the man^

Some day...

Old 04-06-2016, 07:58 AM
Sikness
Neutral

Colorado

Mount Rushmore

This was the same trip.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:58 AM
Sikness
Neutral
Thanks Man.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:00 AM
jeffcutler
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the MTTS is a great event that adds support to a trip cross country. Though I have so many things I want to do on a Xcountry trip that being locked into the MTTS route and timing is a problem.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:24 AM
scalarrthu
1st Gear
I regret not taking a trip like this when I got laid off from my job last year. I did about 1600 miles round trip in a week, but I should have planned better and seen more of the country before I had to get home and find another job.