Travel Stories Have an interesting trip in your MINI that you want to share with others? Post it here!

Yellowstone

Old 08-03-2008, 09:31 PM
miniman101
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellowstone

Now unfortunately, I was not traveling in my Mini, but in a minivan. I went out west...well....out west for us. I went to Montana..Glacier and then done to Yellowstone. While going to through Yellowstone I came across a Cooper S Convertible and a Gold Cooper. I kept coming across them a each place down the road, but never timed it right to meet the owners. I was just wondering if any of you guys or on here. Anyway, here are two pictures of them. Nice wheels on the Cooper S by the way.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:41 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Did the same trip in the Cooper earlier this year, how'd you like it? That's 5000 miles I'd love to do again!

Old 01-02-2009, 06:39 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More info. on your travels through Yellowstone would be greatly appreciated. Hubby and I are starting to plan for a trip there to celebrate our 10th Anniversary.

Thanks,

Julie

Old 01-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Ladidah
6th Gear
I visited (with my MINI) in June 2008. I didn't see any others. Julie, what do you plan on doing? There's lots to do. I camped and it was very cold at night.

I know it's dirty...you wouldn't believe where I had taken it before we visited Yellowstone...

Old 01-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Quesera
5th Gear
I'm hoping to see Yellowstone again before the volcano blows up.

Apparently there is increased seismic activity there these days.

Natural disasters aside, we're stuck here at least until summer. Hopefully this economy will be less uncertain by then.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:21 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ladidah
I visited (with my MINI) in June 2008. I didn't see any others. Julie, what do you plan on doing? There's lots to do. I camped and it was very cold at night.

I know it's dirty...you wouldn't believe where I had taken it before we visited Yellowstone...
I'm planning a trip around Early June to Late August 2010, leaning more toward an early June arrival. Would like to stay an entire week and visit both Yellowstone and The Grand Tetons. We should be able to take our Mountain Bikes (on top of Molly), I'm going to get a Bra for her as well. I've got the ClearBra already, but want all the help I can get keeping Rock Chips to a minimum. I think we'll mostly be just sightseeing and a bit of Photography. Until I get the brochures I've ordered I won't really know what to plan for day to day. Any hints on Lodging would be helpful. Don't want to rough it to much, it is a Vacation BTW.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:35 AM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
First check www.nps.gov to find road closure/construction information. There are also links to room reservations. Also consider buying an Interagency Annual Pass which will probably save you $$ in the long run.

If you are coming from Vancouver, WA I would suggest that you try to hit the "Going-to-the-Sun" Road that goes through the center of Glacier National Park - but check the latest road construction info. Then I would wander southward in Montana sticking primarily to the non-interstate roads.Practically all the roads in Western Montana are scenic. Try to end up in Red Lodge which is just to the Northeast of Yellowstone.

Enter Yellowstone from Red Lodge to the Northeast Entrance which will take you across the incredibly impressive Beartooth Pass (wonderful MINI road). Wander around Yellowstone as long as you can. Most of the speed limits inside the Park are 40mph or less - and they ARE enforced. Way to many places to visit to mention here.

The hotels inside the Park are almost exclusively by advance reservation only and not inexpensive. Motels located just outside the park are typically more reasonable in price (seasonally adjusted). I personally like the little cabins that are available inside the Park at most major attraction areas. Some used shared shower facilities and even bathrooms - but hey, this is Yellowstone!

Aside from the common widely known sights another little favorite spot of mine is right at the WY-MT border between Mammouth and Gardiner. You hike a little ways up the river to a location where you can soak in the natural hot water flowing into the river (no cost). It's the only location inside the park where this is allowed. But make sure you wear water shoes are something similar to walk out into the river. There is also a free public swimming hole near Firehole Falls just south of the Madison Junction. But that water is not warm - especially in early June.

Have a great trip.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:46 PM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by beedeejay
There is also a free public swimming hole near Firehole Falls just south of the Madison Junction. But that water is not warm - especially in early June.

Have a great trip.
Would second the recommendations. Yellowstone roads are brutal on the the typical Cooper suspension as well so be prepared for potholes.

That swimming hole on the Firehole River is frigid...all snowmelt even in Summer, but crystal clear. There's a couple places to cliffdive right now and you can go over a waterfall if you're brave.

Have seen people scuba there several times as well. Pretty deep in that canyon.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:27 PM
TRPete
2nd Gear
When I was in the service, spent 3 years in Idaho Falls, and made several trips to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. Absolutely the most beautiful bit of country I have ever seen.

My first trip there was in early August, and the water was frigid. You could see the snow melting into the streams and running into the lakes. I would say water temps were in the low to mid 40's. Of course, this was some 33 years ago, so with all our global warming, the water temp is probably up a degree or two

Old 04-08-2010, 06:05 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
I'm planning a trip around Early June to Late August 2010, leaning more toward an early June arrival. Would like to stay an entire week and visit both Yellowstone and The Grand Tetons. We should be able to take our Mountain Bikes (on top of Molly), I'm going to get a Bra for her as well. I've got the ClearBra already, but want all the help I can get keeping Rock Chips to a minimum. I think we'll mostly be just sightseeing and a bit of Photography. Until I get the brochures I've ordered I won't really know what to plan for day to day. Any hints on Lodging would be helpful. Don't want to rough it to much, it is a Vacation BTW.
No Yellowstone trip for us this year, we celebrated our 10th Anniversary (March 26th) with me in the Hospital, 2 Days Post-Op from Heart Surgery.

Last edited by RJKimbell; 04-22-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:58 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
To me $$ is never any object...just ask my Husband!! Seriously though, not including Fuel and Food/Snacks, I think I'd be willing to spend around $1200 for a Trip like this...this is a 'Trip of a Lifetime'. It is BEAUTIFUL Scenery and a not to be missed place to visit.

I went once with my Dad...when I was a Kid so I didn't really appreciate all that was afforded to me then.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:48 AM
CZ Mate
3rd Gear
I love yellowstone. I need to post a thread on my MINI trip that was 4200 miles including yellowstone and other national parks. I can't wait to Motor more of the country with my R53.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:04 AM
Rgoodwin
4th Gear
Wife and I just got home from out west. 3500 miles in my 08 hatchback. Left the Missouri Ozarks on July 6 and got back the 15th. Visited Mt.Rushmore, Tower Rock, Deadwood, Cody(Irma's is a hoot), 3 days in Yellowstone , stayed at Old Faithful Inn, did the entire loop. Awesome sights! Then exited the park at the south entrance and drove thru the Tetons.( 10 miles inside the park I had to slam mini's brakes to avoid a big mule deer buck and was almost rear ended), stayed in Jackson, great spot I might add! Then on to Laramie and then down to Estes Park. Wind was absolutely whistling on the drive back over Forest Trail drive from Grand Lake. What a trip! We saw deer, pronghorn, elk, a black bear with twin cubs, a grizzly, marmots, ptamargen, eagles and my favorite a wolf which is highly secretive and hard to find. Awesome trip and the mini was a joy to drive. Mines a 6 speed base and when I started thru the Big Horn mountains west of Buffalo on 16 I was a bit worried about the ability of the car to handle it. But after about 2 steep climbs I had it figured out. Maintain 2800 to 3800 rpm's in the correct gear and you are in business! Downhill I very seldom had to use brakes, which is a no no. Just gear it down and match the wheels with the rpm's. Saw 5 other mini's in the park and lots of other on the road. Had a silver and white follow me on I80 for about 60 miles. Used a half quart of oil on the trip, checked it every morning before taking off. Lot of strain on the little engine on steep mountain climbs but had no problems at all. Got 35 mpg over all!

Last edited by Rgoodwin; 07-18-2012 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 07-28-2012, 07:06 PM
pepsiguy78
1st Gear
Road trip 2012 for our new CMSALL4 to Yellowstone, Little Bighorn Memorial and over to South Dakota's Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse Memorial - a total of over 3300 miles round trip from southwest Washington state. The only problem for us was a 5-inch nail that found it's way into the inner sidewall of the left rear Continental 205-55-17 runflats trashing the tire. Not easy to find a replacement in Rapid City, SD - cost us a day to get a tire shipped in.
When my wife and I parked at the hotel in Rapid City we had a very nice black CMSALL4 from North Dakota to park our white with black hat MINI alongside - nice people.
Every where we went heads turned when we passed - it seems like everybody likes MINIs - whats not to love.
Nice trip in a GREAT car.
Our best tank of gas gave us 32 mpg with the average for the trip at just over 29 mpg - might have been better but it is tooo much fun to step on the gas petal once in a while!!!

Old 08-14-2012, 05:42 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On my vacation at Yellowstone Park last week I rolled down my window and took the picture below of a Bison walking in the oncoming lane. You won't see this on too many roads.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Tarbot
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by CA94960
On my vacation at Yellowstone Park last week I rolled down my window and took the picture below of a Bison walking in the oncoming lane. You won't see this on too many roads.

YUM! Only the farm raised ones though...

Old 08-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Tarbot
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by CA94960

YUM! Only the farm raised ones though...

Old 08-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Tarbot
2nd Gear
Sorry for the double post... tablet was acting up.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:43 AM
minimike1!
1st Gear
I go every year. Took my Mini this year. Be sure to go to Beartooth Pass. It's a great Mini drive. Stop at the various lodges for Lunch. I would suggest staying a Old Faithfull. Some of the rooms are only 95 per night. Don't let the shared bathroom be a concern. It just means the bath is not located in the room but next door. If you have time go to West Yellowstone a few days and take the road up to Big Sky. It may be the best besides the Tetons, which you don't want to miss while you're in the area. Cody is a great side trip too. Go to the Irma for lunch and visit the Buffalo Bill Museum. It has 5 museums included and takes two days. Sounds hoakie but it's not. Even if you're not a fisherman, the Yellowstone River is considered the best trout fishing river in the world. At least throw in a jake's lure and catch one just to say you did it.