Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Would love some recommendations/advice on a set of summer wheels for my R59

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 05:38 PM
Dwink
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would love some recommendations/advice on a set of summer wheels for my R59

Good day all!

I finally ran my original run flats (16") down on my Roadster S. The stock wheels now are shod with (non runlflat) snow tires until March or so.

Instead of swapping tires on the stock wheels twice a year, I would prefer to purchase a set of summer wheels.

The suspension is stock (minus a big rear bar) and will likely stay that way at least until they start to wear.

I am looking for a great fitment and something wide enough to fill out the wheel wells, however I am not interested in going bigger than a 17" wheel.

Weight, strength, and good looks are important to me. I would also prefer to avoid hub adapters.

I briefly considered BBS LM's but they are pretty strong ($500ish per corner) for a mini.

I have also considered some of the stock JCW wheels but would love to hear what you all run/like.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:33 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
I like the stock JCW wheels (R112) but they're relatively heavy. NM engineering makes MINI specific strong lightweight wheels that look good and don't cost as much as BBS. I prefer many spokes as opposed to the 5 spoke look. 17 would be a good compromise between looks and ride quality.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:30 PM
Dwink
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks! I saw the NM wheel- I really like the 18" that they make, also not a huge 5 spoke fan.

I could get get away with 18's as we have great roads in Nevada, but I only see downsides with an 18 (tire cost, harsh ride, increase in unsprung weight) unless I want a really big brake package.