Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

The inevitable Run Flat Tire debacle!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 02:17 PM
Tektura
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The inevitable Run Flat Tire debacle!

Got a flat tire today and naturally the nail is too close to the sidewall to repair.
So now I need some sage advice on whether to A) Find a match and replace the tire (only 10K miles on the set, but these OEMs are pretty scarce); B) Replace two Run Flat tires with matching tread pattern; C) Replace all four with non-run-flat tires.

By the way, if you haven't had the experience yet, there is no jack, wrench or spare in the MCS with run flats. You can call road service if you have the time to wait.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:41 PM
KeziaPurrs
2nd Gear
Quite a dilemma. Sorry you're experiencing this. I just bought my R60 a few days ago and was so disappointed to see that it came with run-flats. They ride horribly. I had them on my previous car (Infiniti Q50) and hated them. Couldn't wait for them to be replaced. But it did come with a spare.

Although in your/our situation, I think we have to stick with them since we don't have spares or anyway to change a tire if we had one. Double edged sword.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:42 PM
Miata13
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Some considerations for you:
1) Can you get a matching RF at all and at what price?
2) This WOULD be the time to pull the plug on the RFs.
3) Do you live where you need winter capable tires or will one set of either Summer or All-Season non-run flats meet your needs?

If one RF costs you ~ $200...suspect you could like get 4 new non-RF for < $500.

We replaced our o.e. RF with Continental Extreme DW Summers and I was able to sell the "new" RFs to help offset the new tire cost.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:10 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I lived thru the run flat hassle on my 2008 MCS. I never liked the ride, co$t or inconvenience when a tire got punctured, which happened to me a few times.

In my opinion you should replace the damaged tire with a run flat. I say this because you only have 10k on the tires.

However, I will add that I did find a small shop that was able to plug my run flat tires...perhaps this could be an option for you as well. I know the MINI dealer's solution is to replace the tire.

I will never own a car with run flat tires again.

More info...I also have a 2014 KIA Soul...and there is no spare tire. For that car I purchased a cigarette lighter air pump to mitigate the risk.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:35 PM
Tektura
1st Gear
Thanks for the suggestions. I may have found a pair of RF tires by the same maker, slightly different tread and with about the same miles. No doubt someone ditched their run flats and had two to sell. Hopefully this will get me down the road another 10K and then I'll replace all four. BTW, found a collapsible lug wrench at Harbor Freight for $8. Not stellar, but better than no wrench at all. Shopping for a decent scissor jack now.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:18 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
While you're weaning yourself from RF misery consider adding a tire kit when the time comes to acquire the non-RF tires. I carry this one which includes room for other nice to have items like an extra qt of oil, windshield cleaning stuff and a rag for checking the oil among other things. It'll even hold the fixin's for a short snort after a long day on the road.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rPicks&refType=

Old 08-31-2015, 08:18 PM
mini4mo
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I threw the towel in and bought a new set of Bridgestone Drive Guards,got a good price on them.
A set of non run flats would have been about a hundred less or more depending on the import brand.

This is my wifes car so at least she will be able to drive to a safe area if the F word happens.

The local tire shops would not install them unless I only brought the wheels in which would have been a pain.

And yes,I did go thru what the OP is debating.
Got a nail in the sidewall with only 12K on the original tires.Bought an exact replacement that was a lot of cash.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:55 AM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
just by the way, gen ii's came with a wrench and jack.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Kat Maerz
Neutral
Hey guys. I'm a very new Mini owner, and have made 4 payments on my car. I purchased in pre-owned in Chicago at Carmax. It's a 2012 Cooper S, 2 door. I was told by the dealer I need 4 new tires that they are chopping. I'm new to RF's and a bit frustrated. The car has 29K miles, how do I need tires? I called Pirelli and they said there is no warranty on OEM tires. I called Mini and they said, so sorry, buy tires. So, I've read a lot. The car is NOISY as all hell. I am not sold on needing RFs even without a spare, because well.. I'd still need AAA to put on my spare if I got a flat. So, I'm looking for the best tires for my car that won't be $1100 I just got quoted. I did move to Austin, so I don't need Winter tires.

Thank you for anyone who can advise a poor girl who moved from a VW Bug to a Mini and doesn't want to regret the decision.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:23 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Kat Maerz
Hey guys. I'm a very new Mini owner, and have made 4 payments on my car. I purchased in pre-owned in Chicago at Carmax. It's a 2012 Cooper S, 2 door. I was told by the dealer I need 4 new tires that they are chopping. I'm new to RF's and a bit frustrated. The car has 29K miles, how do I need tires? I called Pirelli and they said there is no warranty on OEM tires. I called Mini and they said, so sorry, buy tires. So, I've read a lot. The car is NOISY as all hell. I am not sold on needing RFs even without a spare, because well.. I'd still need AAA to put on my spare if I got a flat. So, I'm looking for the best tires for my car that won't be $1100 I just got quoted. I did move to Austin, so I don't need Winter tires.

Thank you for anyone who can advise a poor girl who moved from a VW Bug to a Mini and doesn't want to regret the decision.
The run flats definitely give you piece of mind as there are no worries if you get a flat...basically you can drive the car home and then figure it out.

When I owned my 2008 MINI Cooper S by 33,000 miles I needed new tires...therefore, needing new tires at 29,000 is not unreasonable. What really sucks is the price of run flats (and the ride too).

If you do ditch the run flat tires...I highly recommend that you purchase a $20 cigarette lighter air pump from Walmart and keep it in the car.

PS - any pics of ur MINI?

Old 09-01-2015, 04:33 PM
noreen99
4th Gear
Have to say I enjoy my run flats.
- first one I had construction nails in it I was 60 miles from home in a really shady part of NYC it was 2am and 11 degrees out. At that point I was a convert. Knowing the horrible road conditions by my old job I had haggled on the MINI tire and wheel insurance. It paid for itself in the first year. At last count I have had 6 tires and 1 rim replaced for road hazards. We have only paid for 3 from wear- not bad considering I have put over 87k miles on it.

Although you can get cheaper non run flats I have prices out my stock continentals numerous times.

http://tires.tirerack.com/m/

http://www.citytireauto.com/m/index.htm?gclid=

Both companies beat the local dealer in NY every time

We bought another MINI last month and we are happy to have the run flats again just wish they were all seasons .

Old 09-02-2015, 05:11 AM
mini4mo
3rd Gear
So, I'm looking for the best tires for my car that won't be $1100 I just got quoted. I did move to Austin, so I don't need Winter tires.
The Bridgestone Drive Guards I just had mounted yesterday cost $614.This did not include the TPMS kits.
Got them from Americas Tire.

I also replaced one wheel that I brought in.When installing the tires,the tech showed me another wheel that was bent but not as bad as the one replaced.
These were bent on the inside lip due to pot holes.

Last edited by mini4mo; 09-02-2015 at 05:17 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:31 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
[QUOTE=mini4mo;4119652I also replaced one wheel that I brought in.When installing the tires,the tech showed me another wheel that was bent but not as bad as the one replaced. These were bent on the inside lip due to pot holes.[/QUOTE]
ATTENTION! There is a less expensive way to deal with this problem. I've had three wheels straightened by this outfit, one twice.
http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/
They are mobile working out of a totally equipped trailer. Met them at a car dealership parking lot and was on my way within an hour a heck of a lot less $$$ than a new wheel.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:05 AM
dongood
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
.... I purchased in pre-owned in Chicago at Carmax. It's a 2012 Cooper S, 2 door. I was told by the dealer I need 4 new tires that they are chopping. I'm new to RF's and a bit frustrated. The car has 29K miles, how do I need tires? I called Pirelli and they said there is no warranty on OEM tires.... The car is NOISY as all hell. I am not sold on needing RFs even without a spare, because well.. I'd still need AAA to put on my spare if I got a flat. So, I'm looking for the best tires for my car that won't be $1100 I just got quoted. I did move to Austin, so I don't need Winter tires.
Pirelli RFs only have a treadware rating of 220, so getting close to 30,000 miles is actually quite good.

TireRack carries two Pirelli RFs, the expensive BMW OE tires for over $200 each, and the exact same but without the BMW logo for $136 each.

If you go the non-RF route I've been very happy with the Dunlop Derizza DZ102. A summer performance tire good for spirited daily driving for around $100 per tire with a 440 treadware rating.

TireRack has tools to find a local tire shop and will ship straight to them. Install is usually around $25 per tire, but unlike speciality tire shops you won't get free lifetime rotation.

This last is something to consider as you should rotate your tires every 5000 miles.

I recommend finding a good MINI mechanic, independent not a dealer, in Austin then use them. Every 5000 miles get the tires rotated when you get your oil changed.

Why TireRack? Competitive prices, better selection, and free unbiased advice a phone call away.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:34 AM
Miata13
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I love Austin! I recently put the Continental DW tires on our Roadster S. Great price through Tire Rack, and a great handling performance tire that also has good ride characteristics. Worth a look IMO...

Old 09-12-2015, 01:19 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
random comments

- everyone hates run flats until they or a loved one are gotten out of a bad situation by run flats: a flat where you REALLY don't want to change a tire; TWO flats at the same time; MRS REALLY doesn't want to be bothered . . . .

- run flats can be patched/plugged just like any other tire IF they have not been driven "flat" as this breaks down the sidewall. Since most shops don't want the liability risk and they can't TELL if the flat tire was driven on, they won't touch 'em. (Drive a standard tire FLAT for a few hundred yards and you can tell . . .) In other words if your light comes on and you inspect the tire and find a nail, but the pressure is say only 6 pounds low - where you'd see the tire was low on a non-rf - you can safely repair the tire IF the tire would normally be repairable (sidewall issues are NOT repairable)

- I plugged run flats with DYNAPLUG several times and ran the tires for MANY MANY miles after. http://www.dynaplug.com/

- if you ditch rf's and go the pump/slime/plug kit routine it is wise to flatten a tire and test that pump so you know how long it takes b4 you need to do it under stress. AND it is wise to have a 'class' for everyone in the family who might drive the car . . . a pump & DYNAPLUG did NOTHING for my wife .... she just had her AAA card!

- a friend was a fellow GEN1 owner in the 'early days' of MINI. He was not very mechanical but had read the owner's manual. While on vacation the GEN1 low pressure light came on. He stopped and looked and saw nothing wrong, so he reset the system and drove off. He did NOT check the pressures. When he got home some 2500 miles later he took the car to the dealer for service and mention how the TPM system had malfunctioned. They found a 'flat' tire with a sizable hole in the tread . . .

- I COMPLETELY relate to the $ issue. Even knowing and believing the plus side of run flats I often found myself buying non's to save the $$$$, hence the Dynaplug, pump and AAA membership.

Last edited by Capt_bj; 09-12-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:15 AM
mini4mo
3rd Gear
Just got back from a 3000 plus mile trip to Montana.

Very happy with the Bridgestone Drive Guards.
Not too loud depending on the road surface.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:21 AM
mini4mo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
ATTENTION! heck of a lot less $$$ than a new wheel.
What was the cost?

Old 09-13-2015, 10:00 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini4mo
What was the cost?
The charge for the most expensive and last one was $100.00 for a $300.00 wheel. It had been badly abused. That was 2 years and 35K miles ago, smooth running ever since.