Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.
View Poll Results: Your interest in potential brake upgrade types
Stock rotors (I don't plan to or have any interest in upgrading)
15.55%
Larger plain rotors
11.81%
Drilled rotors
4.72%
Slotted rotors
36.32%
Wave rotors
2.17%
Drilled and slotted rotors
29.43%
Voters: 1016. You may not vote on this poll

Brake upgrade survey

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 06:51 AM
NekoWoman
5th Gear
Location: Fulltime RVer - R53 towed behind a vintage 1979 35' MCI MC-5C Saudi
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The only options I'm looking at right now are different pads (less dust! hate dirty rims) and painting the calibers (bling!), but those weren't listed in the polls. I don't know enough about brakes to do anything else - yet!

Old 09-03-2004, 09:17 AM
CTMINI
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by polmear
New rotors should always get new pads. The old pads, no matter how little they have worn, will take on the characteristics of the old rotors (i.e. tapered wear, grooving, coning, etc.) these 'bad' characteristics can be transferred to the new rotors, and trash your new rotors faster.
That's what I was thinking, but I didn't want to admit that I had to buy all new. I'm looking for slotted or slottled/dimpled and pads (Mintex Redbox or EBC, daily driver with light track/autoX use) - any vendors care to make me an offer I can't refuse?

Old 09-03-2004, 04:12 PM
paddy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by NekoWoman
The only options I'm looking at right now are different pads (less dust! hate dirty rims) and painting the calibers (bling!), but those weren't listed in the polls. I don't know enough about brakes to do anything else - yet!

You have a PM

Old 10-19-2004, 08:37 AM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
I have the Brembo GT kit as well. Painted red calipers with with the drilled, 2 piece rotors on the front and drilled rotors on the back. Man it stops nice.

Bought the car with them installed on it, along with a suspension kit. The Mini dealer put spacers on the fronts, for the stock wheels to fit.

Haven't driven a stock system in almost two years (and never owned an MCS with the stock system) so I really can't remember what the stock system feels like.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:30 PM
MINIBrakes
1st Gear
Slotted rotors will help marginal pads bite better - but at the expense of wear. (think HP+ or DS2500's at a track day - - HPS for auto x'ing - that type of thing)

It's debateable and I'm simplyfying - but mass = fade resistence and longer life when it comes to rotors - (the iron will cycle to a higher temp if there is less of it which eventually fatigues the iron more quickly) This is not an issue if you don't replace rotors due to cracking - AND - a curved or pillar vane rotor may cool a bit better than a straight vane rotor - and distribute heat more evenly.

Race pads can bite into anything and don't seem to need any help.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:21 PM
MindTheGap
3rd Gear
Poll Question

I would really like to upgrade my braking system. But before I can intellegently reply to the poll I have to confess that I am not up on all the pros & cons of the various rotor types listed. I see several references from people in earlier posts as to what they perceive as some pros & cons of certain rotors but they are just sharing their experience. I don't know their credentials and their opinion might not be shared by others.

What would really help me would be an primer (tutorial) explaining the pros & cons of each rotor type (ideally as it affects the entire braking system, including pad wear, rotor wear, etc.). Then maybe a chart showing side-by-side comparisons of each rotor type would really help (like the Tire Rack does for tires.)

Obviously cost-benefit is always an important factor. Naturally you want the best brakes you can afford without overkill (including on the budget). So how about the vendors in question come up with something objective to help us make an informed vote. After all, I'm guessing they would be interested in offering what would most likely sell best to the largest group of people. For example, I would consider myself an aggressive driver, with a few Auto-X's and track days per year as I'll bet many of us are. But I don't need to spend a fortune for what is beyond my needs...

So please show me, based upon my driving needs and budget what my best options are and then least I can vote to let you know what I want.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:04 PM
bean
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a bbk, purchased from one of the vendors on this site. i love these brakes. i also spend a lot of $$$ on pads and rotors. i just ordered my fourth or fifth set of front pads and new front rotors. you can't have it all! if you want a car that stops very well, there will be brake dust. if you want a car that will stop fast on a track, be prepared to spend good $$$ on pads and rotors. 4 DE's, four sets of front pads, one set of rear pads and a new set of front rotors. rear rotors are two events from being replaced. personally, i love making porsches nervous in braking zones. i can out-brake almost any street driven car, but it cost money and makes dust.......

Old 05-08-2007, 08:24 PM
fentos
3rd Gear
After much debate and research on NAM (thanks by the way), I ordered Brembo replacement rotors and Hawk HPS pads today. Looking forward to getting them in and testing them out! Reviews will follow!

Old 05-09-2007, 03:00 PM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front

Willwood 12.4 kit with radially vented rotors. Calipers are forged Dyna Pro, with all stainless components - no rubber to melt at the track. Two pads types; BP 20s for every day and Poly Bs for the track.

Rear

Powerslot slotted rotors. Porterfield R4-S pads, and Tyrolsport upgrade.

This combo is quite nice with the street pads and powerful enough with the track pads. The Porterfield pads were a great recommendation by a number of folks!

Old 05-10-2007, 05:38 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fentos
After much debate and research on NAM (thanks by the way), I ordered Brembo replacement rotors and Hawk HPS pads today. Looking forward to getting them in and testing them out! Reviews will follow!
This is what I'm leaning toward as well, once my stock pieces need to be replaced. I don't need to worry about performance for track days or autocrossing (or showing off). I just want a simple upgrade over stock with less dust, if possible.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:58 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Big brake kit and large (12.8) slotted rotors is not an option, but it’s what I have upgraded too.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:56 AM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Brembo GT BBK FTW!

Lines and pads will get you the most bang for the buck probably. Also the Tyrol inserts from what I hear, but no personal experience with them.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:58 AM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
I want to upgrade to r56 front brakes on my r53 next spring

Old 05-23-2007, 09:34 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
So you want JCW brakes?

Old 05-25-2007, 06:12 PM
lekfx
2nd Gear
Ireland BB conversion installed.

Yesterday I had Fireball Racing install a set of front and rear big brake conversions on my '03 MCS with hawk pads. They are not fully bedded in yet, but OMG what a difference already. The rotors are HUGE and fit nicely in my 17" Centerline RPM rims. They are a balanced design, using larger rotors front AND rear, unlike Brembo, and most others. That is a critical distinction. The car really digs in with less dive due to more balanced counter-torque.

The kit uncluded spacer brackets for the F&R stock calipers (which are very effective and don't merit replacement IMO) and SS brake lines. The rotors have alloy hats, and fronts are spiral vented. Both F&R have 3 slots each. I don't love the slots, as I see them as unnecessary in the aggressive street driving I do, but they are few, and can't hurt much. I look forward to fully broken in brakes that pull eyeballs out of sockets and out-stop every car on the road... tires permitting. (remember, we have anti-lock systems so ultimately, stopping distance is limited by tire adhesion, fade not included.)

Old 06-01-2007, 12:16 AM
Frodo
3rd Gear
I upgraded mine a while ago from TCE...Wilwood rocks! I have the curved slotted and they work great! I like the "look" of drilled but imo they wear the pads down too fast and the rotor is weaker. I have the 13" up front and the upgraded rear too. For the first time, I feel safe on the Autostrada (Italy Highway)...NO fade and when some goober pulls out in front of me at 130kph+ (+ :p) which is the speed limit on the Autostrada, my MCS stops on a dime! I only have to worry about the guy behind me that doesn't have Wilwood

Thanks Todd (TCE)

Frodo

Old 06-01-2007, 07:35 AM
lekfx
2nd Gear
Ireland 1 week later

Well, it's been a week and they are not fully broken in yet, but they are already better than stock, and when hot, FAR better. There are moments when they are up to temp and grabbing well and you just can't believe how easy it is to stop far shorter than before. It may be the pads that need heat to work, and if so I will be changing them out. I won't be tracking the car anytime soon, so I want ready friction when cold for city driving. We'll see in another week how they feel. They are better every day! Crazy stopping power, and improved confidence as a result.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:17 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by lekfx
Well, it's been a week and they are not fully broken in yet, but they are already better than stock, and when hot, FAR better. There are moments when they are up to temp and grabbing well and you just can't believe how easy it is to stop far shorter than before. It may be the pads that need heat to work, and if so I will be changing them out.
I'd really urge you to speak with someone who understands pad compounds and your useage for this application. There no reason for anyone with any brake kit to need "a week to be fully broke in". That just doesn't exist. You should be able to install any brake system and with in a few heat cycles of pad bedding be able to get the intended results. There's no "break in time" for a BBK, I've installed new pads and rotors prior to open track races and they can be ready to run with the time of a pace lap....

I think you are correct in your assumptions about pads. You probably have a pad that needs more heat to react as you want it. Nice for extended use but not the best for morning comutes. Look for a low to medium temp, pad with modest Cf properties. This should keep your noise and dust down but be responsive to all but the hard core use needs.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:48 PM
lekfx
2nd Gear
THANKS TODD! That's exactly what I am in the process of doing now. I want predictable cold braking. Even warmed up, these pads are not completely reliable. I may even return to stock pads since I have dark silver powdercoated wheels anyway. (dust does not bother me.)

Thanks!
lekfx

Old 07-11-2007, 06:55 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
I'm guessing the popular choice would be slotted and larger if a combination vote were allowed.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:04 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Larger will prove a bit of a problem when putting the caliper back on however...or you can leave out the pads if you go wider!

Old 07-11-2007, 07:19 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by toddtce
Larger will prove a bit of a problem when putting the caliper back on however...or you can leave out the pads if you go wider!
Obviously, the larger (diameter) rotor will require a different caliper.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:24 PM
shooler
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lhoboy
It sure does! This is the TCE 14" kit behind OZ 18" Ultralegerras.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:42 PM
lekfx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lhoboy
No, I just used a caliper spacer and my STOCK calipers. Works great.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:00 AM
gibatheviking
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pbraun
I have the Brembo GT brake kit in the front on my MINI and their rotors on the rear. They are slotted, not drilled. They do cost more than most kits, but I think the quality is tops! When those puppies warm up, just show me the dime and I'll stop on it. Time after time, all day long. No fade. I repeat - no fade - ever! Incredibly short stopping distance!

Brembos are the best ! so, there ya go! :smile:

Im looking to go with Brembo to i just need to afford it first.

Quick Reply: Brake upgrade survey